PDA

View Full Version : Clacton Aero Club

night hawk 150
16th Apr 2006, 21:57
OK Hi again,

I am looking for as much information on Clacton Aero Club in regards to the training and places they fly to do there lessons.

I know they own their own airfield but is it licenced?

where do they do their training flights?

are the fleet and training good?

any help would be great

Thanks very much
craig

Leclairage
17th Apr 2006, 06:24
Hi Craig,
I cant speak for the training there, but whenever I have been into Clacton the welcome has been better than friendly and the students/instructors I have seen there all looked happy with one another!
It would be a good place to learn to fly - easy navigation due to its coastal location and a short strip - learn to take off/land there and you will be able to do it pretty much anywhere.
The lady who owns the a/c I currently fly learned there - she's now Captain on corporate jets, but she still remembers her Clacton days fondly.
Best advice is probably to go in and check the people/place/fleet out for yourself.

night hawk 150
17th Apr 2006, 09:00
Thanks Leclairage

i will arrange a visit to the club and have a little look around also do you know where they do there training flights.

craig

Leclairage
17th Apr 2006, 09:17
Nope, no idea I'm afraid - best to ask when you have your look around. But I'm sure venturing up to Ipswich wouldent be a problem for a look-around if thats what you seek!

night hawk 150
17th Apr 2006, 09:45
No i was thinking more around the coast a little over the sea without going to far.

but like you said i could always ask.

craig

OpenCirrus619
18th Apr 2006, 10:52
Take a look at: http://www.clacton-aero-club.uk.com/

I did my tailwheel conversion there around 5 years ago and my IMC about 3 years ago.

I always found them welcoming and helpful. I had absolutely no complaints about the instruction I got.

I would definitely recommend a visit and a chat.

OC619

NoTimeToWaste
18th Apr 2006, 18:08
Heya, hopefully I can help out :)
I took a trial flying lesson at Clacton back in November. I flew in a Cessna 152, registration G-BNKP. The aircraft I flew in was immaculate both inside and outside and the others sitting around looked to be in equal condition.

As I live in the North-West corner of Ipswich I asked if there was any chance we'd be able to make it up and back in 30 minutes. My instructor very enthusiastically gave it a go, and we made it :) We flew from Clacton up over the Orwell Bridge, over the South of Ipswich, round to the North West, then headed straight back down to Clacton. We landed on runway 36 if memory serves me correctly, so flew out over the coast at Clacton, then back in over the road (with street lights I was sure we would hit...) The instructor was very knowledgable and answered my questions about the CPL also.

It was a very good trip, the airfield if licenced, and Clacton is one of the cheapest places ive found to learn to fly. (£99/hour all included). Ive since started learning "properly" at Monewden Airfield to the North of Ipswich as it is only 20 minutes away from me, but was planning to learn at Clacton until I found this airfield :)