PDA

View Full Version : Jerez - the city (NOT the school!)

FlyingForFun
16th Apr 2006, 21:21
Not quite sure where best to post this question, but this forum seems like a good idea since there are so many people on here who have spent time in Jerez.

FTE are advertising job vacancies on their website, and I'm considering applying.

However, there is one major question which is putting me off, and that is whether my fiancee would be able to find work. She is a PA/secretary, so would be able to work in an office in just about any industry, but she doesn't speak Spanish.

Can anyone tell me who the major employers in Jerez are, what industries they operate in, and what (if any) opportunities there might be in the city for non-Spanish speakers? All I've been able to come up with after a Google search is teaching jobs and au-pair jobs, neither of which are really what she'd be looking for.

Any advice from people who know the area would be appreciated!

FFF
-----------------

FlyUK
17th Apr 2006, 08:30
Pretty limited with regards to any sort of 'large corporations', but you will find excess of sherry warehouses etc. Jerez is not a very wealthy area of spain and most people farm or are involved in sherry in some way. You might find it quite hard to get a job if you don't speak spanish. All I can recommend is go out there for couple of days and have a look. If you are interested I can give you the best hotel to stay at in town (with discount).

Rgds.

LH2
17th Apr 2006, 18:48
If you are interested I can give you the best hotel to stay at in town (with discount).

Well, I certainly am interested. Be spending the whole of May in Jerez doing my PPL and the one thing I haven't sorted yet is the accommodation. Any recommendations are welcome. TIA.

As for the OP's question, I concur with the above, the best (only) way is to go there for a few days and find out what options are there for your girlfriend. Or, perhaps she could get an administrative type job with FTE herself?

FlyingForFun
18th Apr 2006, 13:52
Ok, thanks for the input, which pretty much confirms what I thought.

I think I'll probably give this job a miss - after all, there are plenty of other employers in the UK and other English-speaking countries. Spending the money to take time off work (my fiancee and I work different days, so one of us would have to take time off if we go away together), as well as paying for flights and hotels, just to go and decide if it's worth even sending in my CV when the most likely answer is No, is not something I can justify right now. Might re-think if they are still advertising after our wedding, when hopefully our financial situation will be a little more stable.

FFF
---------

LD Max
28th Apr 2006, 08:03
Might re-think if they are still advertising after our wedding, when hopefully our financial situation will be a little more stable.

Eh?? :eek:

That's when the problems start matey!:}

guri
3rd May 2006, 18:30
This part of the country is beautiful,with very friendly people.In my oppinion nice place to stay .Ask the british people who lives there.Most of the english speaking use to find jobs in the tourist sector...Hotels,tour operators etc....

JDurrant
8th Jun 2006, 16:46
. Be spending the whole of May in Jerez doing my PPL and the one thing I haven't sorted yet is the accommodation. Any recommendations are welcome. TIA.

I am understanding that you are doing a PPL course at Jerez.

I have been trying to find a PPL course there for months now and all I can find is the BAE ATPL (FTE) who say they do not do PPL courses.

172driver
1st Jul 2006, 14:54
I have been trying to find a PPL course there for months now and all I can find is the BAE ATPL (FTE) who say they do not do PPL courses.

I think www.fly-in-spain.de do one. They're German, but AFAIK have some sort of agreement with a school in the UK and/or a UK CFI.