PDA

View Full Version : military jets and airliners

pilotho
16th Apr 2006, 14:04
massive debate has been goin on with my friend about this.

basically are military jets easier to identify from each other or are airliners. i can never seem to tell the difference within miliatry jets, apart from obvious ones like the f117 and f22.

airliners are much easier, 757 narrow shaped and 767 much fatter etc

Gingerbread Man
16th Apr 2006, 14:36
I think it probably depends which ones you know best. Personally I think military jets have more to distinguish one from another, though having said that I don't have much trouble with airliners if I am close to them. If they're at 20,000 ft or similar then forget it - it's something with wings :} .

Ginger ;)

LuckyStrike
6th May 2006, 22:52
You don't get to see the mil jets that often unless you are in the AF or smth but you are around the airliners most of the time, i.e. during travels etc...

However, I would agree that it is quite easier to identify the mil jets as each is built on serving a specific purpose whereas airliners all serve the same and only purpose: carrying pax... Boring:E

pilotho
6th May 2006, 22:56
civil planes also serves different purposes, otherwise there wont be different shaps and sizes. there would not be plane spotting and plane spotting would not be the 2nd most popular activity behind football.

civil planes serves different civilised purposes. to be honest, i find mil jets much harder to identify. they are just all darts with wings

LuckyStrike
7th May 2006, 00:42
Well it is a matter of tastes (or should I say enthusiasm) really; as Ginger has put it. So I guess there's no way to tell exactly which one is easier... But interesting question indeed, never thought of it before :}

On a side note, for easier identification of mil jets you can check the wing configuration (like a delta wing seen in Eurofighter, Saabs, some Mirages and MIGs, etc) no. and shape of intake(s)/exhaust(s) as well as their location, nose, canopy shape, tailfin design etc... Once you go through lots of pictures you would see to find differences and then it would be a piece of cake ;)

Sorry, Lucky - too many commercial clicks on that site to fit in with forum rules (see 'Reminder 1'), and awash with cookies:eek: .

DrKev
7th May 2006, 01:32
When I was a kid, I could identify civil aircraft in flight just by the sound of the engines. I was rarely wrong. I don't think you can't do that anymore. But, to answer the question, I honestly think that whatever you personally find more interesting is what you will find easiest to identify.