PDA

View Full Version : Uniforms

AusFlygal
15th Apr 2006, 12:07
Hello all,

Just a quick question - where in Victoria is the best place to purchase a uniform i.e. pants/shirt etc. - good quality is a must.

Up until now my uniform has consisted of jeans and t/shirt, but I have a flight test coming up and it has been recommended by a number of people, that I should wear a uniform on the day. Also, what is the go regarding epaulettes - I don't expect that I will need to wear any, but am interested in knowing what the correct etiquette is.

Regards
:D

bullamakanka
15th Apr 2006, 15:30
Any work wear shop should be able to help you out, but good flying is what counts. What type of test are you doing?

bulla

TwinNDB
15th Apr 2006, 22:44
AusFlygal

SHIRTS - I cant help you with where to buy them in VIC but dont go for the cheap ones wherever you buy them. Spend a bit more dosh and they'll last you alot longer and wont 'yellow' so quickley.

EPAULETTES - Depends. If you're doing a CPL test and still want to wear a uniform for gods sake don't wear epaulettes; you dont have the licence till its over. Otherwise the general epaulette thing at most companies is:

1 Bar - plain ol' CPL
2 Bar - CPL + instructor rating or instrument rating (depending on the company may also be the plain ol' CPL)
3 Bar - Twin flying or Grade 1
4 Bar - Someone who flys less and gets paid more than you! Generally CP or CFI.

Twin.

PS - Good luck with the test. :ok:

RENURPP
15th Apr 2006, 23:36
May I suggest wearing a skirt! Short.

Will be alot more help than epaulettes.

scrambler
15th Apr 2006, 23:39
For CPL or CIR a nice Shirt, pants and shoes should do the trick. Blue pants white shirt are probably best, but anything nice and presentable should do.
I wouldn't rush out and buy a uniform. Hunt through your existing clothes.

Remember that your first job may not require the white shirt blue pants anyway.

Also folks remember that IF YOUR EMPLOYER NEEDS YOU TO WEAR A UNIFORM THEY SHOULD PAY FOR IT OR GIVE AN ALLOWANCE!

Capt. Queeg
16th Apr 2006, 05:10
Don't bother wearing a uniform. It demonstrates a butt-licking tendency (nothing wrong with that these days, so they say) which is somewhat unbecoming. You're paying for that flight-test.

Your first uniform for work should be brown. It means you're doing the hard yards somewhere unpleasant and will more easily hide the stains you create when you really start learning to fly.

disco_air
16th Apr 2006, 05:12
What about the ol' blue shirt? :{

...Disco

petitfromage
16th Apr 2006, 09:01
Becareful not to open yourself up to undue scrutiny by playing dress-ups.

I would suggest not wearing uniform and definitely do not wear epilettes unless they are part/parcel of your current job (even then Id consider the implications carefully)
If I was flying your check, I would most definitely ask you about the meaning of any epilettes you were wearing. If your answer was simply that it seemed like a good idea at the time, I would honestly wonder what was going on in your head.

Wear something smart/tidy from your current wardrobe. If you can muster up some dark trousers and a white shirt, fantastic, but a blue shirt fits the bill too.

You may find that wearing an unfamiliar 'uniform' could even unsettle you (wondering what people think etc). This will have an adverse effect on your flying performance too!

If others are in uniforms and youre not, just joke about it...."wow, you guys have a uniform? in my tinpot outfit its just jeans and t-shirts.....it was a chaos just trying to find something to wear today that wasnt covered in dust!"
That shows a lot more class/character than some obviously shiny new uniform. Dont be a wannabee, let them see that you have something they want.

ps: Polish your shoes and dont wear silly socks! Make sure they match your shoes & belt. Otherwise you just look like a used car salesman with a pocket protector and comb-over.

Be yourself.

jetbrett
17th Apr 2006, 02:43
i think fairmark make good shirts, otherwise just go to SKYLINES pilot shop at YMMB, if in doubt, just ask the testing officer or a high ranking instructor (or your instructor what to wear). Im sure they will give the headsup. Good Luck JB

RENURPP
17th Apr 2006, 03:35
Get real you people.

Just be neat and tidy. any self respecting test officer is not going to give a rats arse about whether you have a uniform or not. I mean OR NOT it makes NO difference.

If you act like a professional, fly like a professional, answer the questions correct you will pass.

Treat him as you would a real passenger, and all will be fine.

Hugh Jarse
17th Apr 2006, 04:18
Yep, I agree with RENNURP. Just dress smartly. Save the money you would have spent on the uniform and put it towards the next stage.

The only time dress sense is important is when you do your EP's;) 10% of our grading is "Dress standard, punctuality and participation" aka "SSSSSStyling Points":} :}

Epaulettes - There are twice as many theories on how to wear them/stripes as there are stripes themselves.:8 Save your money (see para 1).

Most of all, good luck:ok:

assymetric
17th Apr 2006, 04:50
Lucky you don't do any of my test "petitfromage". You are there to test the persons ability and their knowledge (whatever they are being tested for), not their fashion sense. If you can't do that you are in the wrong job.

"AusFlygal" wear whatever you feel comfortable in doing a test. If the testing officer is worth anything it will not matter.

:ok: :ok: :ok: GOOD LUCK:ok: :ok: :ok:

harrip
17th Apr 2006, 10:55
If you act like a professional, fly like a professional, answer the questions correct you will pass.

Dressing like a professional seems a logical extension to this way of thinking.

Will a uniform help you fly better? Probably not, but it does help demonstrate your commitment to professionalism. That said, be sure your comfortable in your flight so dont just don the uniform only for the test flight.

AusFlygal
18th Apr 2006, 02:27
A big thank-you to everyone for all of the advice provided. It is much appreciated.

Ausflygal

PS. I definitely won't be going the short skirt option though.
:)

locknut
18th Apr 2006, 02:44
Couldn't agree more with harrip. I believe that if you demonstrate a sound degree of general knowledge and an ability to handle different situations you will pass. However, when I was an instructor and a student turned up for a lesson that was wearing an outfit that would put Ali-G to shame I couldn't help but wonder if this guy was really serious about his flying. I tended to help and offer more advice to the ones that demonstrated their seriousness about a career in aviation.

Lets face it peoples, if you want to get anywhere in aviation you need to network! Testing officers normally have a wealth of experience under their belts. They've done the rounds and know a lot of people in the industry. If you can prove to them that you’re a serious 'package' (not just a good pilot) it may just help you with a reference in the future. It’s the little things that help us move forward and out of GA.

If you are taking the instructor path after you obtain your CPL, I dare say you will be wearing a white uniform and blue pants, so why not buy it now (forget the epaulettes though). How much have you spent so far and how much is a shirt and pants? Anyways good luck:ok:

tinpis
18th Apr 2006, 05:51
Wear a cooking apron and rubber gloves.

AusFlygal
18th Apr 2006, 08:51

"Tinpis", that is a great idea, can I borrow yours??
:)

rmcdonal
18th Apr 2006, 10:13
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinpis

"Tinpis", that is a great idea, can I borrow yours??

This should be fun...:E

Hugh Jarse
18th Apr 2006, 10:17
AusFlygal: Touche' :} :}

Lets face it peoples, if you want to get anywhere in aviation you need to network! Testing officers normally have a wealth of experience under their belts. They've done the rounds and know a lot of people in the industry. If you can prove to them that you’re a serious 'package' (not just a good pilot) it may just help you with a reference in the future. It’s the little things that help us move forward and out of GA.
No offence Locknut, but: ATO's might know a lot of people in GA, but airlines? I don't think so, unless they've been there and gone back. Not many would do that..... And the recommendation of an ATO means little in the overall picture of pilot recruiting for airlines.

Most Testing Officers fly with the candidate for the first time at the actual test. I'd suggest it would be foolhardy for an ATO to "network", or recommend a person having flown with them only once.

I've seen quite a few CV's over the past 6 years, and have not yet seen an ATO's name as a referee.