PDA

View Full Version : Poposed Passenger Persecution.

cavortingcheetah
15th Apr 2006, 06:04
:yuk:
This piece of news from today's Times.
Can one imagine an A380 with a thousand passengers pulsating their gibberish holiday plans throuigh the ether.?
Can anyone come up with a satisfacory jammer to obviate this development in sadistic sleep deprivation.:E

Ofcom announces review of in-flight mobile phone ban
By Elizabeth Judge

AIR PASSENGERS could soon be shouting “I’m on the plane” after the telecoms watchdog announced an investigation into the use of mobile phones on flights.

After pressure from Britain’s major mobile operators and airlines, Ofcom is weighing up a review of the wirelesss telegraphy licensing regime.

The regulator has published a research paper that examines how such a service, which experts estimate could be worth £1.4 billion a year by 2009, could work. The paper looks at the introduction of services using frequencies at 1,800 megahertz, suited to some second-generation mobiles. It could clear the way for people to use mobile phones, laptops and other electronic equipment to call and text while in the air.

Athough some flight operators have special on-board phone services, the use of mobile telephones is not permitted on aircraft across Europe because of potential interference with on-board systems.

There are also concerns about transmissions from mobile phones on aircraft interfering with terrestrial mobile networks. Some mobile phone companies have developed systems that could overcome these problems and a number of operators, including bmi and TAP Portugal, will trial the services this year.

The operators are now pressurising the relevant authorities to give them permission to start commercial services. Ofcom says that research by mobile phone operators and airlines “suggests that there is consumer demand for such services”.

The watchdog’s document, which is likely to trigger fierce opposition from those unwilling to see the disappearance of one of the last mobile-free havens, raises the prospect of a regime under which either the aircraft captain or owner would be granted a licence to operate in-flight mobile services.

The airspace in the aircraft cabin could be treated as a virtual country, with the user “roaming” on to that system and paying a premium. The profit could be shared between airlines and mobile operators.

OnAir, a Geneva-based company, has developed a system that uses a small transmitter within the aircraft to send and receive calls, connecting them to the terrestrial phone network via satellite.

Aware of the potential backlash, Ofcom says that quiet zones could be set up, and planes could also have “system downtime” when passengers want to sleep.

The paper cites research conducted last year in which a third of people said that they would be willing to pay up to €5 per minute for in-flight mobile services.

Ofcom is just one of several bodies, including the Civil Aviation Authority, which would have to give approval for in-flight services. Although the regulator could go it alone, it is likely, for the sake of wider usage, that other European regulators would also be involved.

Ofcom states in the paper that “given the international nature of both communciations and air transport . . . it seems clear that any approach taken by Ofcom should be workable at least in the broader European context”.

It emphasised that individual airlines would ultimately decide whether they wanted .

System downtime? What wishful thinking is that?
Still, at €5 per minute, the chatter might be restricted to Business Class only?:p

flightmedic1
25th Apr 2006, 16:40
Bad idea. As if I don't have enough trouble sleeping because of noisy brats and screaming babies, the airlines now want me to suffer because some inconsiderate b:mad: is jabbering away next to me on his/her mobile phone. :*

This idea should be aborted before it has the opportunity of being born.

ExSimGuy
1st May 2006, 04:23
What IS this obsession about wanting to use mobiles in-flight? How much USE are they? If you NEED to make an urgent call in-flight, the scheduled operations usually have Flight-Phones. Expensive, but, "if it's that urgent".

(Dunno about the "bucket & spade brigade" - but if you're flying Winkie Airways, surrounded by drunken chavs jammed into a sardine can, use of the mobile is probably the least of your problems)

And if someone wants to contact you? If (insert family member) dies, there's not much you can do about it during the flight - it's not a bus,where you can get off at the next stop and dash back:\

Someone can always send you a text (SMS) message which will be waiting for you as you leave the aircraft.

I suppose an improvement could be made in the Flight-Phone system in order that someone could call a number to get a pax on a certain flight (again, a bit expensive so it wouldn't happen too much) - if that facility is not available already.

Don't get me wrong, I have a SIM for my "country of residence", another 2 in my wallet for countries that I visit a lot, plus my UK roaming one for wherever the previous 3 don't help me! The mobile is an important tool for me. But I just don't see the urgent need for me or anyone to use it in an aircraft (without even touching on the arguable safety aspect)

str12
3rd May 2006, 22:58
Perhaps mobile phone manufacturers can design phones that the local cell determines the configuration. For example, you recieve a call in a theatre/restaraunt/aircraft cabin/train/tube but the phone vibrates and does not ring - automatically - without you having to choose 'Silent'...simple. Yes, the cell may cover a square mile but the ring settings could be overridden locally.

This problem that should not arise in the first place. Even if the phone doesn't beep/ring/play a tune I do not want to be sitting within 500 feet of anyone chatting about sh!te in a loud voice while I am reading a book/eating my meal/contemplating the female cabin staff's gymnastic skills ;)..or just staring into space.

And for those of you that argue 'what happens if my baby-sitter has to call while I am in the cinema?'...simple, don't go to the cinema :E

What happened to renting a video without adverts (except trailers of course)? Hitachi were sued because they shipped a VHS recorder that detected adverts and paused the record feature, the same is happening with BlueRay HD DVDs - you won't be able to fast-forward through the adverts.

A British woman was prosecuted in Texas a few weeks ago because, while in the cinema, she tapped a woman on the shoulder having a conversation on her mobile and asked her to be quiet. Prosecuted for assault...successfully.

What is the World coming to?

An old Git :eek:

Edited for pished speeling.

firemac
4th May 2006, 07:59
No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No,

No!

No!

No!

What :mad: morons are pushing this idea? Suppose the airlines are desperate to maximise every profit opportunity but this one could be commercial suicide bearing in mind the almost universal adverse reaction generated each time it's mentioned.

Note to the carriers: if this gets the nod & is implemented generally, there will be a fortune to be made by the first carrier that bans mobiles on all flights.

Avman
4th May 2006, 11:09
Just watch air rage incidents rise 1000% - and I'll probably be one of them! It's already bad enough at the gate area waiting for your flight! This should be an absolute non starter unless airlines provide a soundproof and partitioned phone area (sort of booth).

firemac
4th May 2006, 16:18
"This should be an absolute non starter unless airlines provide a soundproof and partitioned phone area (sort of booth)."

Yes. Ideally at the back of the bus or, even better, in the cargo hold!!

God, what a stupid, stupid idea to allow mobile use on board!!!

foxile
4th May 2006, 16:26
No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No,
No!
No!
No!

Can't say I disagree with that. ;)

AUTOGLIDE
8th May 2006, 07:31
Please no. There is no way any sane person wants to listen to loud mouthed banal conversations for 12 hours. Air rage will increase massively. Personally this is the last straw, I hate flying anyway now.:*

radeng
8th May 2006, 10:22
But bear in mind that the airline will get its cut of the charges. That's why they want it. B*****r the passengers!