PDA

View Full Version : Military Discount - Not gym membership

heights good
14th Apr 2006, 20:07
After reading the military discount thread it got me thinking. What companies do actually give us discounts (over and above the MoD discount book) I know when i was going through flying trg at 60Sqn we got a discount with Cotswold outdoor.

Anybody know of anymore?

Flik Roll
14th Apr 2006, 21:25
Can't remember if it's in the book but every Moto Service station gives 10% off (This includes Burger King and the over priced newsagents (Magazines, food etc.) and anything within the Moto service station - not petrol though :sad: )
My ID was spotted in my wallet and i was informed that i was entitled to money off so I took it! Saved a few quid.

Worth a try at Burger King/McD's at any service station, normally works :ok:

Pretty much any outdoors shop as well - Millets, Blacks etc.

Rev I. Tin
15th Apr 2006, 07:40
Raymond's Revue Bar in Soho gives a discount with Military ID...err...apparently!

Repent Sinners

Not on Hercs
15th Apr 2006, 09:05
Domino's Pizza give almost 50% on walk in and phone delivery but not on Internet orders.

shawshank
15th Apr 2006, 10:12
A gang of us recently tried the 'military discount' blah at a well known mcburger chain and got awarded with a free cheeseburger each:D .

EESDL
15th Apr 2006, 10:18
.....was that during their '2 for 1' promotional week?

ratty1
15th Apr 2006, 17:59
Domino's Pizza give almost 50% on walk in and phone delivery but not on Internet orders.

Why would you want to order a pizza on the internet?

shawshank
15th Apr 2006, 18:02
EESDL, nope, one of our members who frequents more than I said he had benefited from this one many an occasion.

Whaaa newark
15th Apr 2006, 20:18
A lot of companies in the US give discount for military personnel on 'active duty', including UK forces (tell them you are coalition forces).

With an ID you and 4 dependents can get into Busch Gardens and Sea World for free. Also Gatorland gives you a discount on entry, however you get a bigger discount if you tell the cashier that you are a birdspotter from the UK(how mad is that).

no whaaa

roush
15th Apr 2006, 21:10
Heres a good site for US discounts

http://forums.military.com/groupee/forums/a/frm/f/78600030713

Climebear
15th Apr 2006, 22:03
The 2005 edition of the forces discount brochure is here http://www.rafcom.co.uk/forces_discount/index.cfm

Talking Radalt
15th Apr 2006, 22:11
Why would you want to order a pizza on the internet?
And if you do, is it byte size? :)

brickhistory
16th Apr 2006, 00:24
Same for military hotel on the beach at Waikiki; the Hale Koa.

Of course, it is booked many, many months in advance, but still a pretty nice place at a great rate in the heart of the beach.

Talking Radalt
16th Apr 2006, 02:03
OK whinge mode on.
Flew to the Antipodes a few years back. Asked about military discount only to be told that was only available on full-fare scheduled flights booked direct with the airline and surprise surprise, it wasn't available with any other discount. So one would have had to pay absolute top dollar book price for the flight to be eligible for any reduction.
Who the hell buys flights that way any more? Got as much "discount" booking over the 'net.
What we need is a standard 10% off the final price.
Compare this to a well known British Telecommunications cartel, who's staff I'm led to believe get whacking discounts in virtually any high street store you care to name.
Mind you, mentioned the magic words "Op Telic" in Stringfellows and got a full half hour of TWO girls simultaneously demonstrating hands-free pole polishing for a mere fiver! :ok: (Their pole, alas, not mine:bored: )

Avtrician
16th Apr 2006, 04:44
You dont get much in the way of military discounts here in Oz, ( not during my 22 years anyway) and nothing after retirement:uhoh::uhoh:

bayete
16th Apr 2006, 15:28
Few years back I was checking prices for rooms in a Knightsbridge hotel for some visiting speakers to the premier UAS.
Was told something like £105 for the room and £9 for b'fast total £114. I then asked if they did a military/MOD discount rate and after the receptionist checked with the manager I was told yes...£124 inc b'fast.
Nice discount... why don't we just check in as civys!!!

Asking
16th Apr 2006, 23:24
With an ID you and 4 dependents can get into Busch Gardens and Sea World for free.

Ah.... It cost me about $120 for two tickets at Busch Gardens last week! I must do my homework before parting with money.

Next time please tell me about my mistakes before I make them!

fantaman
17th Apr 2006, 13:02
Based down in London and having family up in Edinburgh I normally make two return trips with "the worlds favourite airline" or BA per month. Booking the flight a month in advance....

BA Web Price - £64.50

BA MOD Discount - £153.90

Same day, same flights? Again, you've got to book the highest priced, most flexible ticket to take advantage of the "generous discount". BMI's not much better!

Are the forces ever going to get a decent deal or are there always going to be the usual strings attached? About time some of the British companies and the MOD put their heads together and had a look at how the Yanks treat their forces.

What a great deal we get....NOT!

stuckinLatinAmerica
19th Apr 2006, 22:03
It's been a few years since I last tried it, but Black & Decker used to give a 10% discount to RAF personnel. :ok:

Peter Raith
26th Apr 2006, 09:14
This is the online version of the 2006 Directory

www.forcesdiscounts-mod.co.uk

over 280 discounts and more being added frequently

Winco
26th Apr 2006, 12:18
Yes, I never quite understood how BA get such a place in 'the book' when they clearly do nOT offer a discount.
In fact, they actually INCREASE the price if you are military!
Sounds like lots of other things with the military, second class citizens and all that crap etc.
The Winco

84nomore
26th Apr 2006, 15:25
Have to disagree with the above. I found flight to Orlando on BA web, then phoned military discount no which is 0191 211 3660 and got 10% discount on the web price. Only additional bit was £15 per person for not booking online. Still saved over £100!:)

Vidal
26th Apr 2006, 17:44
I was really surprised to get a 10% discount in Office (shoeshop) fairly recently - it's usually worth asking the question!

Tiso (Scottish outdoor gear shops) don't offer a military discount but they do give a discount to Mountain Rescue Teams - if you get my drift, nudge nudge, ;) ;).

Edited to say that Tiso give a 25%(!!!) MRT discount.

6nandneutral
26th Apr 2006, 17:46
Does anyone know if the above do the same or similar deal as Seaworld and Busch gardens? Having taken advantage of Seaworld and Busch in 2003, it would be good for morale and possible give the parks some cheap, good publicity.

Gnd
26th Apr 2006, 18:05
Merit Tyres give a good discount to the Military, I use the Andover one and am not even sure if there are any others?:sad: