PDA

View Full Version : Harry's Passing Out

ExRAFRadar
13th Apr 2006, 20:39
This is not a dig!!!

In photo's I noticed that Harry and William have medals on thier uniform. Could anyone enlighten me as to how a cadet in training gets a medal ?

Okay, maybe a little alcohol induced dig. But not a big one. Honest.:)

Climebear
13th Apr 2006, 20:44
Its simple really.

It's Golden Jubilee medal. Whereas there was a requirement to have been serving for 5 years (?) for anyone in the military, HM the Queen obviously decided that she could award them to members of her own family. After all it is her medal.

wilf_san
13th Apr 2006, 20:47
All family members of the Sovereign (and their household staff) are given Coronation and Jubilee medals. This is a well-established practice (certainly pre-Queen Vic). It puzzled me when I saw it first, but that is the score!

Cheers!

wilf_san

This is not a dig!!!

In photo's I noticed that Harry and William have medals on thier uniform. Could anyone enlighten me as to how a cadet in training gets a medal ?

Okay, maybe a little alcohol induced dig. But not a big one. Honest.:)

umba
13th Apr 2006, 21:05
I say old chap, I thought the young spunker Woyal Wooooopert graduated rather than fainted.

FJJP
13th Apr 2006, 21:15
You will often see medals on passing-out parades, worn by those from the ranks who have been commissioned.

SPIT
13th Apr 2006, 21:39
HOW LONG BEFORE HE GETS PROMOTED TO Maj ;) ;) BY SOME OF MUMMYS FRIENDS ???

Green Flash
13th Apr 2006, 21:41
Umba

Looking at the photo of his girlfriend in the papers I'd have fainted, graduated, and a whole lot of other things too! He certainly has an eye for da ladies:E :ok:

fatlad
13th Apr 2006, 21:49
Didn't time in the cadets count towards the jubilee medal? If so he would have amounted his 5 years easily.

ZK-NSJ
14th Apr 2006, 08:03
poor bugger had to give camilla a kiss

JackRyan
14th Apr 2006, 17:09
We should give Harry a chance here before commencing the criticism; this is a real opportunity for Wills & Harry to improve public perception of the modern royal family.

ExRAFRadar
14th Apr 2006, 17:29
Was that said with 'Tounge-In-Cheek' Jack.

We are only having a grin :)

Good luck to em both (although the chaps who may have to serve with them in a combat area may have something else to say)

nutcracker43
14th Apr 2006, 18:57
(although the chaps who may have to serve with them in a combat area may have something else to say)

Why should you say that?

ExRAFRadar
14th Apr 2006, 21:24
Would you want to work with an officer that attracted so much attention?

I'm sure the people that the UK military face put absolutely no value on the fact that they are members of the Royal Family. And consequently will in no way target the unit that the young Royals may serve with.

And do not give me that bull about Andrew in the Falklands. Flying a helicopter in the South Atlantic does in no way equal a ground pounder (Tanked up or not) on the ground in Iraq or Afghanistan. Not many insurgents in the Oggin….

vmv2
14th Apr 2006, 23:29
Ex RAFRadar,

May I suggest that you invest some time to research exactly the task the Sea Kings were carrying out during the Falklands War then reconsider your exceedingly stupid comment about "not many insurgents in the oggin."

West Coast
15th Apr 2006, 04:46
"And do not give me that bull about Andrew in the Falklands"

Being a Yank, I'm usually one of the first to take a shot at that silly king/queen thing. That said, Andy faced as much danger as any sitting on what was essentially picket duty in a helo.

Biggus
15th Apr 2006, 08:33
I think the point ExRAFRadar was trying to make is as follows:

Harry joins Blues and Royals (or whatever cavarly outfit) and commands 10+ lucky chaps in a recce unit. Blues and Royals go to Iraq. Bad guys target Blues and Royals specifically and intensively, over and above the attacks on any other British Army unit, in the hope of getting a royal scalp. Therefore, while Harry may be happy to 'do his bit' his presence is increasing the risk for the very men he is suppose to be looking after!!! His troops potentially pay in blood for him to satisfy his ego.

The Argentinians did not try to target Andrew during the Falklands war, nor did they fly more sorties because they knew he was there. His presence did not increase the risk to the Task Force or his comrades in the slightest! I for one am not questioning his valour or the contribution he made.

This, in a nutshell I believe was the arguement being made, sufficiently clearly for me to appreciate it. I must also say I think it has merits.......

airborne_artist
15th Apr 2006, 09:48
And if William also joins the HC, then the insurgents get double the chance..., though I'd guess that they would not both be in theatre at once.

Brain Potter
15th Apr 2006, 10:21
Being a Yank, I'm usually one of the first to take a shot at that silly king/queen thing.

Silly Queen - really?

"Our enemies are innovative and resourceful, and so are we. They never stop thinking about new ways to harm our country and our people, and neither do we." —Washington, D.C., Aug. 5, 2004

"Tribal sovereignty means that; it's sovereign. I mean, you're a — you've been given sovereignty, and you're viewed as a sovereign entity. And therefore the relationship between the federal government and tribes is one between sovereign entities." —Washington, D.C., Aug. 6, 2004

"It is white." —after being asked by a child in Britain what the White House was like, July 19, 2001

'Too many good docs are getting out of the business. Too many OB-GYNs aren't able to practice their love with women all across this country.'

etc, etc, etc

Guess who? :p

Jackonicko
15th Apr 2006, 11:47
In today's increasingly technocratic armed forces, where the educational standards of the NCOs and soldiers are often rather higher than they were in days gone by, will Harry have an uphill struggle in gaining the respect of his men?

All of the press coverage would lead one to stereotype him (perhaps inaccurately) as an immature, irresponsible and pretty unintelligent, rather thuggish tw@t - a party animal frequenting drug-fuelled parties (not that we're suggesting for one moment that he's been indulging himself), exam-cheating, hitting photographers, dressing in Nazi uniform, etc.

If his men view him in that light, and as a source of greater danger to them, will he find it tougher than any other subaltern to gain their respect?

Will William, with his more intelligent, more responsible, more thoughtful image (and it may be no more than that) have an initial advantage, or is he a bit too 'sensitive'?

ZH875
15th Apr 2006, 12:07
Surely, it would be better to deploy 2nd-Lt HRH to Afghanistan, after all, if anyone can sniff out drugs...............:)

ChristopherRobin
15th Apr 2006, 12:38
oh bore on Jackonicko! He's 20 years old for christ's sake - you obviously don't have much experience of Army officers - he'll fit right in - and as for respect, I'm sure you'd agree he'll have more than someone who's never even put a uniform on.

timex
15th Apr 2006, 13:04
If his men view him in that light, and as a source of greater danger to them, will he find it tougher than any other subaltern to gain their respect?

What for dropping a photographer, going to a Lap dance club and getting drunk? Sounds like a few Brownie points already, at least the guys will know what they're getting.

Give them both a chance, you never know. Lets face it, at least they have joined up!

SASless
15th Apr 2006, 14:31
Biggus,

His troops potentially pay in blood for him to satisfy his ego.

That could be said of many of his ancestors me thinks....and they did too!

Give the young lad a break....most of us at his age would qualify for all or most of the attributes he was labelled with...except being a Royal. After all he does qualify as being rich and spoiled does he not, thus he comes by those delinquencies honestly.

nutcracker43
15th Apr 2006, 15:43
jackonicko and all the detractors

Sounds like a bit of envy to me.

The lad is 20 and has 'done good'. I am envious that there weren't and lapdancing establishments when we passed otherwise we should have been there too.

He bashed a journalist who was doing what he shouldn't have been doing (any self respecting person would have done the same, I hope).

If he was cushioned in cotton wool the self same layabouts would be complaining that he wasn't pulling his weight. Do please dry up with the criticisms and stop being boring.

NC43

Jackonicko
15th Apr 2006, 18:52
I doubt that any ordinary candidate with Harry's record would have got anywhere near Sandhurst.

Despite the excellent tuition at Eton, he struggled to gain his paltry two A levels, a B in art and a D in geography.

Are the Household Cavalry's standards really that low?

We'll ignore the unproven allegations that he had to cheat to get the Art A level for now.....

Prince Harry was sent to a drugs rehabilitation clinic for a day after he admitted smoking cannabis and drinking heavily at a local pub, said the News of the World.

St James's Palace did not the reports, confirming the prince had "experimented with the drug on several occasions", though stressing that his cannabis use could not be described as "regular."

The usual attitude among PPRuNers to such youthful experimentation with drugs is that it is (and should be) a bar to commissioned service. But not when it's this boorish clown, apparently.

As to the photographer "doing what he shouldn't have been doing", he was photographing a public figure in a public place when this thick yob bashed him.

Harry's side of the story:

"Prince Harry was hit in the face by a camera when photographers crowded around him as he was getting into a car. In pushing the camera away, it's understood that a photographer's lip was cut."

The other side of the story:

"The paparazzi photographer involved, Chris Uncle, said Harry had "deliberately lashed out". Mr Uncle, 24, told the Evening Standard newspaper: "Prince Harry looked like he was inside the car and we were all still taking pictures.

"Then suddenly he burst out of the car and lunged towards me as I was still taking pictures. He lashed out and then deliberately pushed my camera into my face."

The photographer claimed that royal bodyguards dragged the prince away.

The photographer had a number of witnesses who confirmed his story, another press photographer, Charlie Pycraft, confirming that the prince had lunged at Mr Uncle.

"He was half-way getting into the back of the car when he suddenly reacted and lunged at him and grabbed his camera and pushed him against the wall."

He said Prince Harry was restrained by his bodyguard and two doormen from the nightclub."

Though I'm a journo, I have no truck with Royal reporters and paparazzi, who I view as useless parasites. That does not, however, entitle anybody to commit common assault on their persons.

And then there's the judgement he displayed in the Nazi uniform episode.....

I'm most impressed by the calibre of the NCOs and soldiers I've come into contact with, and it's clear to me that the Army is no longer some sort of mirror image of "Carry on Segeant".

I just ask how easily Harry will win the respect of such high calibre blokes......

and I'd question whether he really fits in with the very high calibre blokes that Sandhurst, Cranwell and Dartmouth usually churn out.

ChristopherRobin
15th Apr 2006, 19:09
give me rogues, brigands and people who are a bit 'handy' any day of the week instead of some nancy boy who'd be better off in the airforce anyway. This isn't the women's auxiliary balloon corps y'know!

As for the drugs - having tried them before joining, he'll be less curious to try them out once in. You're naive if you think the majority of people in RMAS haven't had a toot before joining up. In my intake (early 90's) we were asked to give a no names, no packdrill show of hands of who had tried drugs and well over 75% (including an international sportsman) admitted it.

I'm no royalist, but until Jackonicko tells us all about his own exemplary military career, I for one think he is underqualified to comment on suitability or otherwise. No offence JN, but there you go.

I'm personally looking forward to when he does an exchange with the AAC, where we are all v proud of his old man being our Colonel in Chief.

As for his A-level results, mine were a lot worse. Refreshingly the Army still puts the emphasis on character and natural ability, not solely on qualifications. If it was the other way around, we wouldn't have the fine NCO aircrew we have now, for example.

And you should meet some of my infantry pals - marvellous chaps, but they'd rip your balls off if you looked at them cockeyed. Just the sort of people we need when Tony next cries havoc! and let slip the dogs of war!

nutcracker43
15th Apr 2006, 19:32
Jackonico

All these revelations Jackonico...what do you expect to gain by your sad harping?

I have just seen that Jaconico is a journo...all is revealed...completely understanadable...wasn't you he popped, was it?

NC43

SASless
15th Apr 2006, 19:46
Nuts,

That might explain why Jacko's nose is so far out of joint!:ok:

Jackonicko
15th Apr 2006, 20:29
Do grow up, boys.

You don't need to have been a clergyman to doubt HRH's qualifications to become a bishop.

You don't need to have worn uniform to discern that Harry doesn't show many signs of being either an officer or a gentleman - though we may have a distorted picture of him, and he may mature into the role even if we haven't.

I have seen frontline units in all three services from fairly close-up. My own military experience was brief, VR and many years ago, so I would make no great claims of military expertise or experience, but I think I know just about enough about the forces to recognise some of what makes a good officer and some of what makes a bad one.

And I've already told you that I don't support, endorse or approve of tabloid journos or paps. (But had a pissed ginge had a go at me, it wouldn't have been my nose out of joint....)

AdanaKebab
15th Apr 2006, 23:15
(But had a pissed ginge had a go at me, it wouldn't have been my nose out of joint....)

Maybe not, but it would be your arse in the jail cell !!! :)

Re-Heat
15th Apr 2006, 23:37
You may well think you know what makes a good officer Jacko, but that gives you no right to pass character and professional judgement on someone whom none of us truly know, especially not with our sole source being press reports.

The usual attitude among PPRuNers to such youthful experimentation with drugs is that it is (and should be) a bar to commissioned service.
If you know so much about the military, you might be able to tell us what the recruitment policy is on soft drug use. You do not however appear to know.

Leave the recruitment to the pros, and consider your VR experience as I consider mine - experience; not a period of employment. The difference is significant.

ratty1
15th Apr 2006, 23:49
Re- heat http://www.stuntlife.com/forums/images/smilies/sport002.gif Jackonicko..........fight fight fight.

adr
16th Apr 2006, 00:10
Re- heat http://www.stuntlife.com/forums/images/smilies/sport002.gif Jackonicko..........fight fight fight.
Really, ratty, how immature. :E Take it to Googlefight! (http://www.googlefight.com/index.php?lang=en_GB&word1=Re-Heat&word2=Jackonicko)

I'll take on the winner. (http://www.googlefight.com/index.php?lang=en_GB&word1=Re-Heat&word2=adr)

adr

Yes, it is Saturday night. Why'd'you ask? :=

Jackonicko
16th Apr 2006, 00:15
I wasn't talking about current official policy on soft drugs - you're right, I don't know - I was talking about attitudes.

And I suspect that like spent convictions soft drugs use might not be a formal bar to entry, but might, in other circumstances, and in the case of other individuals, be taken in conjunction with accusations of assault, exam cheating, and piss poor results lead to rejection in favour of better qualified, more mature, more able candidates.

Unless you know of lots of other Sandhurst candidates with an equally chequered record? :rolleyes:

brickhistory
16th Apr 2006, 00:17
Ummm, Churchill?

SASless
16th Apr 2006, 00:25
Why is it...I knew someone would finally get around to blaming it on the American's!;)

MajorMadMax
16th Apr 2006, 04:39
Umba
Looking at the photo of his girlfriend in the papers I'd have fainted, graduated, and a whole lot of other things too! He certainly has an eye for da ladies:E :ok:

Pics, my friend, where are the pics??

Cheers! M2

nutcracker43
16th Apr 2006, 09:34
Pics, my friend, where are the pics??
Cheers! M2

Jackonico, where are you when we really need you?

SASless

Re your comment about blaming the Americans...lost on most, I'm afraid.

Green Flash
16th Apr 2006, 10:13
MMM

UK daily paper, front page, aforementioned young lady arriving at airport - yes, I've forgotten which paper! (it was kicking about the ops room but the cleaner was too efficient). Sorry.

frodo_monkey
16th Apr 2006, 10:47
The young lady in question:

http://news.softpedia.com/images/news2/Britain-s-Prince-Harry-Meeting-his-Girlfriend-in-Africa-3.jpg

After giving due consideration to the matter, I'm forced to conclude that yes, I would. :E

Jackonicko
16th Apr 2006, 12:56
Jonathan Ross remarked that after his graduation he spent the evening in Chelsea (sic) and then went clubbing.

Chelsy is a game looking bird, certainly.

FJJP
16th Apr 2006, 13:39
Jacko, this is not the sort of place where your critique of a Royal would be generally welcome - hence the barbed comments.

Re: drugs. Most of us abhore the use of drugs and their use during time in the Forces. Users get no sympathy when they are chucked out immediately. Many of us disagree with recruiting those who have used drugs pre-service, but we have had to accept many things we don't like as the Forces move along with the times.

You are in no position to judge whether or not he will TURN INTO a fine soldier - some right wets graduate and turn into exceptional leaders. Unless you are involved in the training and assessment of the potential of such men, you really cannot guage how they are likely to turn out. Also remember, the military colleges do no more than teach them the basics and give them a survival kit for them to fall back on as they gain experience in the real military world.

I don't know how Prince Harry will turn out. I met both P Charles and P Andrew in their early years in the Forces and was not particularly impressed; however, I have watched them mature into fine men [and I take the media view with a big bag of salt].

That he has graduated after the rigours of RMA training is testiment to his courage and determination - he will not have been given any quarter by virtue of his status in life. Those that trained alongside him are in a much better position than any of us to judge how he faired.

Good luck to the man.

saudipc-9
16th Apr 2006, 14:40
I say good luck to him. He had an awful lot more pressure on him than I did going through Officer training and I will not make comment on what he did as a teenager, but look forward to seeing what he does as an officer. He didn’t have to join the army, but chose to do so.
I know a number of good officers who before they joined the forces had a somewhat colourful history channelling energy in the wrong direction, myself included.

Lynx206
16th Apr 2006, 14:41
jackoff-nickoff,

If it is a choice between Harry and you in combat, I suspect nearly everyone here would choose to stand by Harry.

For someone who is neither aircrew or military you have more neck than a heard of giraffes. Let me guess...you work for News of the World?

Lynx206
16th Apr 2006, 14:54
He bashed a journalist who was doing what he shouldn't have been doing (any self respecting person would have done the same, I hope).

I suspect that it may have been jackoff who was bashed. Bruised ego?

Tigs2
16th Apr 2006, 15:29
Jacko
you are on a loser here. I doubt you will get any support for your comments from members of the services. We all can empathise with what he has achieved and he has done it on merit, not through favouritism. He has achieved great things as have all of the cadets on his intake. The fact he scraped through his exams is irrelevant (my son scraped through his, a bright articulate young man - but he has mild dyslexia and doesnt do exams. Harry could be the same), whatever, he deserves a break and is not doing anything a young guy of 20 wouldnt do. I will never forget a Warrant Officer in the CIO when i was looking at joining up. I nervously asked him if a small altercation i had had with the police when i was 16 would hinder my chances of selection for aircrew. He looked me straight in the eye and said 'Young Man the Battle of Britain was not one by Angels'

Harry may not have the correct criteria for making a good staff officer but the Army needs fighters not writers.

Jackonicko
16th Apr 2006, 15:37
Lynx,

Since you are clearly unable to understand basic English (I've explicitely deplored both tabloid journos and paparazzi) there's little point in arguing with you.

And while I'm not military, I am a pilot, and I have earned an RAF aircrew brevet, albeit only 'budgie wings'.

FJJP,

You're probably right, though I see no merit in defending anyone based simply on who they are, and so far, this young man has done little to enhance the reputations of two usually admirable institutions, the Royal Family and the British Army.

ZH875
16th Apr 2006, 15:53
We all can empathise with what he has achieved and he has done it on merit, not through favouritism.And just what sort of person would 'Fail' an HRH during military training, even his 'auntie' Edward had to exit the Ruftie-Tuftie Royal Marines, without failing anything.

Captain of his school 'Whatever he plays in team' , what chance do NORMAL people have when these out-dated relics of the Monarchy decide to have a 'career' in the military.

PS: Has he made 1st Lt, Captain or Major yet, after all it is nearly a week since graduation.:D

brickhistory
16th Apr 2006, 16:48
Re your comment about blaming the Americans...lost on most, I'm afraid.

Due to his American mother, correct?

nutcracker43
16th Apr 2006, 17:40
brickhistory

That, and the fact that he was granted honorary American citizenship (there have only been five as I understand it)

NC43

airborne_artist
16th Apr 2006, 18:00
Jacko
Rightly or wrongly I could have got into BRNC on 5 O-levels on the SL Aircrew engagement I signed up for in 1978. Such an entrant could then have applied for a GL transfer, and now be at least a Captain/Commodore if selected. At least one of my coursemates is now a Commander, and I'm fairly sure he left school at 16.
The RAF went towards an all-graduate entry in the 80s, and have since rowed back from it.

brickhistory
16th Apr 2006, 18:02
brickhistory
That, and the fact that he was granted honorary American citizenship (there have only been five as I understand it)
NC43

NC43, thanks, didn't know that.

Might 10-12 million more soon..........

pigsinspace
16th Apr 2006, 18:40
Young Man the Battle of Britain was not one by Angels'
Harry may not have the correct criteria for making a good staff officer but the Army needs fighters not writers.

I guess English 'O' level was out of the question then?...its WON not one

Loadie Tigs2?

Brewster Buffalo
16th Apr 2006, 18:56
Jacko
The RAF went towards an all-graduate entry in the 80s, and have since rowed back from it.

What made the RAF "row" back from this?

SASless
16th Apr 2006, 19:21
http://www.churchill.navy.mil/

Web site of the USS Churchill.:ok:

brickhistory
16th Apr 2006, 19:36
Web site of the USS Churchill.:ok:

Churchill...an American destroyer....oh, the irony....

Don't keep up with the surface navy's little assets, thanks for posting.

mlc
16th Apr 2006, 19:53
I went to Dartmouth wih 5 O' Levels in the early nineties. I was in my early 20's and had spent 5 years as a chargehand in the electricity industry. I feel there was a significant difference between friends with a similar background and those straight out of Uni with a music degree.

They however, got quite a few years seniority. Never did work it out!

Tigs2
16th Apr 2006, 21:50
Pigsin

Thank you it was just an SP. Ever made any yourself? Love to know why if someone makes an SP you think they are a Loadie? No i am not.

pigsinspace
16th Apr 2006, 22:06
Pigsin
Thank you it was just an SP. Ever made any yourself? Love to know why if someone makes an SP you think they are a Loadie? No i am not.

What is an SP? anyway whatever it is I've never made one. I'm perfect I'm a GE..

Loadie and spelling test a few words that just don't go together!

Lynx206
16th Apr 2006, 22:11
...I've explicitely deplored both tabloid journos and paparazzi...

Really? You uphold the finest (lowest) traditions of both with your comments.

And while I'm not military, I am a pilot, and I have earned an RAF aircrew brevet, albeit only 'budgie wings'.

I doubt that it was 'earned'. Did someone show you the same favouritism you accuse Harry of receiving?

Military Aircrew A forum for the professionals who fly the non-civilian hardware, and the backroom boys and girls without whom nothing would leave the ground. Army, Navy and Airforces of the World, all equally welcome here.

PPL, albeit only 'budgie wings', and journos do not count.

brickhistory
16th Apr 2006, 22:12
What is an SP? anyway whatever it is I've never made one. I'm perfect I'm a GE..

"Try telling your next door neighbour ( I do not mean married quaters) you are Sqn Ldr Blah.. he will be very impressed.."

Hmmm....(from the Use of Ex-Service Rank Titles thread, p.2)

Jackonicko
16th Apr 2006, 22:43
Lynx,

While it's nice to see a Royalist contributing from the people's republic of australia (lower case quite deliberate), I'd say that it ill behoves someone with a CPL and an otherwise blank user profile to lecture anybody else on whether their openly admitted qualifications and experience (and lack thereof) do or do not qualify them to post on 'Military Aircrew'.

You said: "For someone who is neither aircrew or military you have more neck than a heard of giraffes."

And yet you are a CPL with no stated military aircrew experience.:yuk:

Moreover, it is not just Republicans and Tabloid hacks who deplore the antics of this particular Royal. Many convinced and loyal Monarchists believe that his 'antics' are bringing the Monarchy into disrepute, and are causing the institution some real damage.

He certainly doesn't seem to be his father's son so far, from his actions.

pigsinspace
16th Apr 2006, 23:19
( I do not mean married quaters)

you sad monkey!!!!

You have nothing better to do but to scour my posts for a spelling mistake?...... get a life .......... in the RAF it's called inter trade humour (banter)

brickhistory
16th Apr 2006, 23:29
( I do not mean married quaters)
you sad monkey!!!!
You have nothing better to do but to scour my posts for a spelling mistake?...... get a life .......... in the RAF it's called inter trade humour (banter)

And in the USAF, it's called giving someone sh1t. Same concept, same result...

(ok, in small words read slowly, you, to paraphrase, wrote, "I don't make spelling mistakes." Yet, how easy was it to show otherwise?) Glass houses kind of thing, that's all. Lighten up!

parabellum
17th Apr 2006, 00:49
"And others just think that he's just following in his real father's footsteps..... and I don't think they mean Prince Charles"

As journalists go you would probably make a bloody good bricklayer! Don't you or the "others" you refer to do any research?

It is a long established fact that Princess Di's extra marital liaisons and the conception of Prince Harry are in no way connected, to suggest otherwise is scurrilous and shameful, now go look up the dates.

(Yes ex military pilot too, with proper wings).

Lynx206
17th Apr 2006, 04:44
As journalists go you would probably make a bloody good bricklayer! Don't you or the "others" you refer to do any research?
(Yes ex military pilot too, with proper wings).

I'm sure jackoff (lower case quite deliberate) never let facts get in the way of a good story - especially for the tabloids.

There are honourable professions - medicine, the military, the law, piano playing in a whore house to name a few - and then there is journalism.

CaptainFillosan
17th Apr 2006, 06:40
I seem to remember you descended into the gutter before with this pathetic example of base journo crap.

There is NO evidence of that and you have none.

Perhaps if you had experienced the mil you would realise that end of course or a passing out parade was a worthy excuse for a monumental p!ss-up.

Get off his back Jacko, your slip is showing. :yuk: :}

pigsinspace
17th Apr 2006, 07:50
"And in the USAF, it's called giving someone sh1t. Same concept"

So I guess thats the difference between our two Air Forces our's is small, professional and (mainly) friendly where we can have inter-trade banter/rivalry.

And yours is NOT!!!!!! you call it giving someone ****.....

Get a life or leave the USAF and join a real Air Force.

Tigs2
17th Apr 2006, 08:39
Pigsin
and there was me thinking you were all perfect, and your not, i am sooo dissappointed. By the way just to make sure that every day is a school day, the term sp is the common term used to denote a spelling mistake exists, and is often placed in the margin of an essay, letter or perhaps a piece of staff work. Actually i think Brickhistory was very clever. Wish i'd thought of that. Now i haven't used spell-checker on this because i dont give a s@@t, but from your earlier post i do hope you use it all the time from now on, we will be watching Mr Perfect.

JACKOFF
use of uppercase quite deliberate. You seem to be a little out of order chap. I can only assume that your offensive post concerning the parentage of a young man who has never done you any ill will was alchohol induced looking at the time (past 11 pm). I do hope it was otherwise there really is no excuse.

mlc
17th Apr 2006, 08:52
An interesting side issue. The commandant of Sandhurst made a vocal complaint to Clarence House about the antics of Prince William at Harrys passing out parade.

It's just been announced that he is now leaving the Army two years early!

I'm sure it's a pure coincidence. :rolleyes:

nutcracker43
17th Apr 2006, 08:57
Jacko.

Your mail proves the point about most people's thoughts about your profession. You are nothing more than a product of the gutter if that is the best you can do...totally offensive, without any evidence and totally wrong.

I do not favour censorship, but in your case I shall make an exception, and I request that you are removed from Pprune.

Mods, would it be possible to remove this fellow from Pprune.

Thank you

NC43

Radar Riser
17th Apr 2006, 09:16
jackoffnico

Lower case, again quite deliberate. I used to enjoy reading the banter between you and other PPRUNErs, I thought it was healthy rivalry between journos and professional people.

However, your last post has let you down. Badly.

Are you jealous of Harry because he got into the military and you didn't. I'm assuming that because you have "Budgie Wings" you considered it. He's proved himself a better man already by what he has achieved from day 1 of his military career. You have showed yourself to be as base as any hack journo. May I suggest that you go away and think seriously about who you are speaking to on these forums, otherwise you might get sent to internet Coventry.

Give the lad a break. What has he ever done to you?

RR
(A Royalist, that's why I joined up)

FJJP
17th Apr 2006, 13:10
Don't you think that we've had enough virtiol on this thread now?

It has descended towards the level of Jetblast and is getting tiresome. I guess a lot of us [me included] took exception to Jacko's posts, but I suspect they were designed to provoke just the sort of reaction that appeared.

So why don't we agree to differ, allow the right to freedom of speech and choose the off button if offended...

Stressless
17th Apr 2006, 15:32
I think you will find Wills has completed Flying Grading and will try to impress the Army Air Corps with his atributes so he can fly a helicopter, just like uncle Andy. If he does F@ck about at Sandhurst that will 'simply no do'!!

Jackonicko
17th Apr 2006, 16:14
Tigs and RR,

Since my post caused offence, I've edited it and apologise for the offence caused.

Especially since the widely-made inferences about parentage aren't something that I'd agree with.

And my attitudes to Harry are nothing to do with jealousy - had he just passed out of Valley, they might be, but not Sandhurst. It's no secret that I once harboured ambitions to be an RAF pilot, but a military career in any other capacity did not appeal.

Like many Royalists, I take no pleasure in seeing stupidity, drug-taking, and thuggishness undermining the reputation of the Monarchy, which I generally support, and which I view as being constitutionally valuable. But the modern monarchy exists by consent and relies on earned respect, and public respect in the monarchy has taken a bit of a beating as a result of the behaviour of some individuals in the Royal Family. Especially this one.

I don't accept the line that he should be allowed to make the same mistakes as any other young man (and I believe he's made the kind of mistakes that would have excluded others from Sandhurst) since some responsibilities, duties and restrictions come with the great privilege to which he's been born. I think that he's let himself and his family down by his actions.

He may well be a better man than I, but I have yet to get caught making unprovoked drunken attacks on members of the public, and have yet to go to fancy dress parties dressed as a Nazi (not that my doing so would cause anything like the same offence). Moreover, as a youngster hoping to join the forces I made sure that I got more than two scraped passes at A level and withstood the temptation of drugs.

No-one cares what he does at or after his passing out parade, and anyone would accept some scrapes and high spirits from such a young man - the question I originally raised was whether any other youngster with the same pre-Sandhurst record would have been admitted, and I wondered how easy he'll find it to earn the respect of those he commands.

I had been under the impression that good officers earn the respect of their men, and don't have to rely on their uniform.

I would not accept that asking such questions is in any way incompatible with being 'Royalist'.

PPRuNe Pop
17th Apr 2006, 16:57
Please, NO more angry posts.

If people want to make a comment on the topic please keep it that way - ON TOPIC.

So.............we will see how it goes. Closing the thread is easy.

Onan the Clumsy
17th Apr 2006, 19:19
Might it be possible to express just the tiniest bit of :* at
It has descended towards the level of Jetblast ?

:(

The Rocket
17th Apr 2006, 22:30
Well said Jacko,

Can we now draw a line under this gents?

Personally I wish the very best of luck to the young man. At least he'll have some real experience of military life before he is made an honorary Admiral of the Fleet/Field Marshall/Marshall of the RAF.

Tigs2
18th Apr 2006, 00:26
Jacko
Quote 'Since my post caused offence, I've edited it and apologise for the offence caused.'
Thank you chap!
Rocket
well said!
PPRuNe Pop
Thanks for letting it roll on Sir! Not sure people are angry, but there are some that will defend the Royal Family to the end. (thats why we/they signed up). There are also some that will question the monarchy, thats their right but thats why many will have very opposing views to them (Does that mean they are angry? mmmmh maybee?):) :) .

Tigs2
18th Apr 2006, 00:58
Pigsinspace
Doh! Thanks for your post, but following Brickhistory's post, and your very uncalled for post to me i found in two posts on the same thread, Within two posts of each other on the thread 'Use of ex-Service rank titles'

Engineer said "Carrying your rank outside "
sorry to dissapoint you old chap but your rank stops at the camp gates.

Try telling your next door neighbour ( I do not mean married quaters) you are Sqn Ldr Blah.. he will be very impressed..

how many ex arline pilots still call themselves Captain? or First Officer?

Pigsin
You told me you were perfect. Are you a Rock??

Jackonicko
18th Apr 2006, 01:27
Rocket,

Indeed.

And while I deplore what he has done in the past, that is water under the bridge, and graduation from Sandhurst could and should mark a new beginning. One hopes that he will have found a great deal within himself at Sandhurst and will be a very different, and very much better man than the boy who joined.

Perhaps his men will judge him as they find him, and not (as I admit to having done) on the basis of what I've seen at third hand.

Perhaps, with the benefit of Sandhurst training (moral and military), he even regrets some of what he's been criticised for, even if some of his vocal supporters wouldn't condemn him for those things.

And on that basis, I'd expect him to emulate his uncle's successful military career, and I'd wish him good luck in doing so, and indeed in bringing his men home safely from Iraq, if he ends up deploying there.

ExRAFRadar
18th Apr 2006, 06:44
Biggus hit the nail on head a few pages back. Sorry for the delay, been on holiday for the long weekend.

In no way am I saying that Andrew did not perform in the Falklands. Just that the conflict then and what the forces face now are about as different as you can get.

<Edited after reading all the posts>

But I see we are way past that point. Wish I had'nt said anything now.

highcirrus
18th Apr 2006, 09:10
A neat satire of the usual Fleet Street dichotomy of opinion, simultaneously expressed, in characteristic fashion!

Private Eye No 1156

Glenda Slagg, Fleet Street’s Lap-Top Dancer!!?!!

• Hats and everything else off to Bonny Price Harry, who’s not frightened to go with his army buddies for a naughty night out a-leerin’ and a-peerin’ at leggy lap dancers in Heathrow’s fashionable Spearmint Rhino!?! What hot-blooded male wouldn’t do the same to let off steam after a hard day’s grillin’ and a-drillin’ on the Sandhurst Parade Ground!?!! God bless you, Sire!!!?! What girl wouldn’t be honoured to help you stand to attention!!?! Geddit!!?! I bet you did!!?! Geddit?!?

• Prince Harry?!? What a disgrace!?! An officer of Her Majesty’s Armed Forces reduced to seeing a sordid sex-show in seedy Slough!?! What are we supposed to think when the grandson of the Queen of England is seen a-droolin” and a-dribblin” at the antics of some sleazy slapper stickin’ her wotsit up against a greased pole??!? Get back to barracks, Your Royal Randyness and have a cold shower!!?!