PDA

View Full Version : Personal Music In China

MyData
13th Apr 2006, 15:53
Here's what might seem like a stupid question... but I ask in all seriousness.

Soon I'll be visiting the People's Republic. My iPod was one of the obvious things to pack in the bag. Then I saw this week that the Rolling Stones have been refused permission to perform certain songs in public. Got me thinking.

If I have 'raunchy' or 'decadent' tracks on my iPod would I be liable to be in trouble with the authorities?

My thinking is that if the Stones are known in China then their albums must be on sale, therefore individuals must have in their possesion the offending tracks.

Is it the case that it is OK for personal use, just not healthy to broadcast to the masses?

Or I might just leave the iPod at home...

XSBaggage
13th Apr 2006, 17:46
I wouldnt worry about things like that. For all intents and purposes the People´s Republic of China is just like any European country in this regard. In fact, I have found much of the bureaucratic institutions there to be much more helpful and efficient than their European counterparts. You can listen to what you like on your iPod, and maybe (if you are visiting the south) buy a more updated one at a very good price! Relax and enjoy.

MyData
13th Apr 2006, 20:02
Cheers XSB. It does seem to be a country of conflicting norms - part of the desire to visit.

The late XV105
14th Apr 2006, 11:08
Although UK based my office is in Shanghai and I fly in and out of Pu Dong on a regular basis, usually with iPAQ PDA in my pocket and always with laptop in my bag on which is loaded a gazillion music tracks; never had a problem entering, within, or leaving the country.

On a related subject, from a trip to the US I purchased a $99 set of Sony MDR-NC11A noise cancelling headphones. They are "in ear" rather than being bulky "cans", with a small microphone extension to each bud. On the basis of the Ryanair flight I tried them on this week, they are superb; sat in seat 1A, so with wind rush past by the door seals, RRRRRRRRRRRR became shhhhh, easily up to the 70% reduction that Sony claim. The spoken voice is however still allowed to "carry through". They have a normal 3.5mm jack and an aircraft "double jack" so can be used with audio equipment too. Musical fidelity is not up to the superb "concert hall" standard of my normal Sony "in ear" headphones but still more than adequate.

I'll certainly have them plugged in to either the PDA or aircraft entertainment system on my next flight to Pu Dong.