PDA

View Full Version : IR Test Failure

Tango49
13th Apr 2006, 15:05
Hi All,
Failed my IR test (first attempt) so thoroughly a couple of weeks ago that I didn’t even get to do the G/H section. Got mandatory additional training of 3 hrs sim + 3 hrs a/c. I’ve been really beating myself up about it since but realise I need to get back on my horse and redo the test.
The 3 hrs sim went OK (different instructor) but the first retraining flight in the Seneca (usual instructor) was a disastrous replay of my test with gross over-controlling, level busts and general clumsiness. We went somewhere I’d not been to before although that shouldn’t have made any difference, but my instructor was ranting and raving all the way through. I think my previous monumental failure must have been an embarrassment to him. During the debrief he suggested I cancel my retest which was set for this week and I haven’t flown since.
Having completed the IR training and passed my pre-test 170A, I’m not sure if more (very expensive) flying hours would correct my problems, the main one being a feeling of anxiety of almost suffocating proportions during the one-to-one examination. I then tend to give in to perceived levels of higher authority such as ATC or the examiner when I feel pressured. I know I can fly a complex aeroplane. I know I can fly the instrument procedures. But doing both during an exam just boils my brain.
Has anyone else had these problems? How did you fix them? Any psycho re-programming?
Thanks for any input.

C130Dreamer
13th Apr 2006, 16:48
Tango49,
Sorry to hear you're having a nightmare with your IR.
It sounds to me like you should take a break from training for a couple of weeks, settle your mind and reassess what's going wrong. I would seriously think about speaking with the CFI about your instructor, ranting at students during any stage of flight training is a bad thing. You may even want to think about changing to another flight school!
As for tips, I recommend that you have all memory items from the check list, speeds and engine/prop settings firmly in your mind so that they become second nature.
Try armchair flying. Sit in a chair and run through a complete flight. Call out speeds, engine/prop settings etc - talk your way through the whole flight. Move your hands as if you’re operating the gear, flaps etc. Make RT calls. Do everything as if you're in the aircraft.
Get permission to go and sit in the aircraft with another student and give each other scenarios like an engine failure. Become completely familiar with the cockpit, you don't want to be looking for a flap switch while you're trying to fly an approach!
Ask your flight school if you can use the sim after hours or when it’s free during the day so you can practice your scan and drills.
And this I think is a big one for you. When you're on your flight test, try to imagine that the examiner is just a normal passenger who's asked you to fly them from A to B. Try and relax and concentrate on the job in-hand. You will make a mistake on you flight test, it's very rare that someone will get through a flight test without making some sort of mistake. Don't dwell on a mistake, just put it behind you and continue with the flight - you may do well enough in the overall test to pass!
Good luck, I hope it all works out well for you in the end.

Craggenmore
13th Apr 2006, 17:00
Is your call sign Oxford 13? :}

If airlines are desperate, if you have the little blue book and if you are current, they don't give a stuff if you passed first time or fifty first time. Take comfort in that and change instructor without delay.

Demolition jobs have no place in IR training and do more harm than good.

carbonfibre
13th Apr 2006, 19:58
Tango49

Im sorry to hear of your mis-fortune, I can sympathise as I had similar difficulty at the start of my IR training or should say half way through.

My sim was fine, aircraft horrible under instruments but VFR multi ok

The key is almost as C130 said you need to relax, examine what you have done incorrect on your test, the examiner although has failed you would have given (or should have) you some excellent advice. Its well worth reflecting on this as you may get the same examiner again.

Take the few weeks out, you can get overdone "cooked" almost by Instrument flying and more so when your thinking of the costs, you really have to, hard as it may seem put that to the back of your mind.

If your instuctor is a bully or just not a good teacher for you as was in my case you can make an appointment to speak to the CFI, ask and try a different instructor or in extreme swap schools like I did, which worked for me. The instructor at the school i went to resolved a flying issueof mine in one ground school lesson and 1.5 hours in the sim, my previous school could not do that in 20 hours of sim time. It may be a case of a personality clash, but which ever way you work this out, take the time to reflect, do not fly for a week or so and ask your school if you can get some extra back seat experience.

Hope it all works out for you:ok:

Also if you can get on an older Frasca sim, they are great for scan rate and basic instrument flying

apron
13th Apr 2006, 20:07
I'll second that one.....that dude almost battered me into a blithering mess on some sorties:bored:
Saying that, some days I needed it and he dragged me through and got me out the other side in almost one piece.
Is your call sign Oxford 13? :}
If airlines are desperate, if you have the little blue book and if you are current, they don't give a stuff if you passed first time or fifty first time. Take comfort in that and change instructor without delay.
Demolition jobs have no place in IR training and do more harm than good.

Tango49
13th Apr 2006, 20:29
C130Dreamer,
Thanks very much for all that. Very wise words.
The CFI is going to fly me next week for another view on my problems. Since my instructor has shown his true colours I don't think I can get any more value out of flying with him - I think he will only try to prove himself right about my ability, or lack of. I don't really want to go elswhere at this late stage - new a/c, area, routes, etc to get used to = more expense.
I really like the idea of the armchair flying bit - think that'll be good. And sitting in the a/c with another student to call out emergencies and the like I hadn't thought of that either - another good idea. And I'll see if I can get the sim in its downtime - should be interesting to see their expressions when I ask the question!
You're right about the test - although I don't tend to dwell on mistakes so much its the thought of being caught out that seems to get me rattled the most. But then its pressure I'm creating for myself - a sort of self-sabotaging action. Give me an audience to address and I'm fine - put me one-to-one with an examiner and it all goes pear-shaped. Reminds me of when I sat music exams a few years ago. Must have a closer look at my inner self-doubts.
Thanks again for taking the time to put your thoughts into words. I'll keep you posted.
Craggenmore,
No, my callsign is not Oxford 13! Never been near the place. You're right about my experience being a demolition job though - it certainly hurt a lot. But as someone once said, "Being defeated is often a temporary condition. Giving up is what makes it permanent". So I'm not going to.
T.

Tango49
13th Apr 2006, 20:51
Carbonfibre,
Thanks for your encouragement too. I'll see if I can get a backseat ride or three under my belt and put up with the lambasting the poor bugger on the left will get.
You're right about the examiner's feedback - although embarrassing at the time there were lots of pearls of wisdom captured in my copious note-taking.
Apron,
Seems to be a lot of it about then...?

carbonfibre
13th Apr 2006, 21:05
Do a lot of those things, you will see your not the only one.

Hope its all works out for you, let us know how you get on, im sure if you need any other advice for the test people on here would be happy to help, but first and foremost get that information from your instructor/school.

Just another thing though, does your school help prepare you for the test day or do they just give you a test time , a tick list and tell you to turn up at xyz? I dont just mean the 170A, were you well prepared? was the test as you expected? just a few questions to mull over, although Im sure you have those now you have experienced it.

Good luck over the next few weeks, it will all be worth it:ok:

TolTol
13th Apr 2006, 21:50
the main one being a feeling of anxiety of almost suffocating proportions during the one-to-one examination.

Well m8 u aint the only one! I can fly any IR procedure with my eyes closed when I'm with an instructor, but during my test I couldn't even read the platform heights on the plates!! The examiner didnt help either, he gave me no preflight briefing and he rushed the whole flight so that he could go home.

Any future tests that I do I'm going to try and not get too worked up about them, at the end of the day they are only stupid tests. More important things in life.

no sponsor
14th Apr 2006, 09:33
No-one asks about first-time passes on their application forms. So it doesn't seem to be the big deal everyone makes out. First-time passes are good for the self-esteem and the bank balance.

I would seriously consider going back in the sim with another instructor. Level busts and your other issues are inadequate training and a lack of building blocks that make someone a good instrument flyer.

You need to have a plan of action agreed with the CFI - I would suggest one of these items is mock test briefings - but you need a very good 170A person to give you realistic scenarios. If the exam centre is on your airfield, there is a chance that you could arrange to discuss things with an examiner, at least get introduced - they don't fly everyday, since CPLs get cancelled. This might make them seem more human.

Or, consider going to another school. There are a few that are very good at disecting issues, and building you up again ready for the test.

Everyone will feel a numb-nut at some point in their training though, so don't beat yourself up about it either.

Megaton
14th Apr 2006, 09:43
no sponsor,

No true. Some airlines do ask about first time passes (or did 12 months ago). Can't remember which since I've binned all my applications but there some airlines which are definitely interested.

no sponsor
14th Apr 2006, 10:48
OK then, but they seem to be few and far between.

;)

(Having a first-time pass, minimum hrs etc, I kind of hoped it would be the case though)

Big Kahuna Burger
14th Apr 2006, 15:36
Check your PMs

High Wing Drifter
14th Apr 2006, 17:29
Having a first-time pass, minimum hrs etc, I kind of hoped it would be the case though
zzzzzzZZZZZZ

Megaton
15th Apr 2006, 11:20
ZZZZZZzzzzzz :yuk: :yuk: