PDA

View Full Version : JAA to FAA PPL

Sean H
12th Apr 2006, 15:16
How can you covert a JAA/CAA PPL aeroplane to an FAA PPL??????
I will be getting my JAA/CAA PPL this summer in florida at a school that trains JAA & FAA. As I will be doing the FAA pre-solo exam and The FAA class 3 medical would it be worth my while combining the JAA PPL into FAA aswell?
Thanks guys :ok:

Mark Collins
12th Apr 2006, 15:37
Sean H,

Once you have completed your JAA PPL you can apply to get an FAA PPL on the basis of your foriegn license, it is quite simple and the flight school should be able to walk you through it. To get you started look at the links below. Once you have completed both the forms for the FAA and UK CAA the FAA will send you a fax from the FAA stating that they accept the validity of your foriegn license. Fill in form 8710 and give this and your letter to either the FSDO in Orlando or a FAA Examiner and they will issue you a temporary airman certificate and then eventually a FAA PPL. The examiner might charge you a small fee, but I think the FSDO option is free. The UK CAA will also charge you a fee, but the FAA doesn't.

FAA Form: http://www.faa.gov/licenses_certificates/airmen_certification/foreign_license_verification/

FAA Form 8710: http://forms.faa.gov/forms/faa8710-1a.pdf

UK Form: http://www.caa.co.uk/application.aspx?categoryid=33&pagetype=65&applicationid=11&mode=detail&id=2090

Hope this helps,

Mark.

Whopity
12th Apr 2006, 16:07
If you are in Florida doing a JAA PPL then get the FAA one whilst there, forget all the nonsense about getting a validation.

Genghis the Engineer
12th Apr 2006, 16:12
If you look on the private flying forum, you should find everything you need to know - it's been discussed quite a few times.

G

B2N2
12th Apr 2006, 21:31
Ask the school to set up a FAA flight exam.
As a thought...it might even be worth doing your FAA IR and FAA CPL as well, Single and Multi.
Gives you a complete other ICAO CPL separate of your JAA CPL.
You could then potentially work anywhere in the world.

planeshipcar
13th Apr 2006, 01:00
as a note, I was in Florida last Summer and it was the worst time to fly. from June terrible rain storms, hurricanes and the like. Have you checked this out?

planeshipcar
13th Apr 2006, 01:05
whoptity,

I'm curious I have a FAA licence based on my CAA PPL and through validation. I did not have to pay for any more tests, medicals extra training, so why get an FAA? My validation is for life.

I ask this politley and curiously, not looking fir a word fight or sarcasm.

cheer,
planshipscar

B200Drvr
13th Apr 2006, 08:20
Planeshipcar,
Your FAA is based on your CAA PPL, in the event that your CAA PPL expires or the number changes as has happened in the past, your FAA certificate will no longer be valid. If you are not cash strapped and are at the school, I would agree with B2N2, Try and complete the "stand alone" FAA comm IR.

planeshipcar
13th Apr 2006, 08:40
Hey,

Completeley agree! But when you've got your PPL validated you can go straight into the FAA IR and commercial (certificate), as the Americans say), without worring about the PPL. Therefore in the end you have an American licence.

I went to Florida and built up almost 30 hours of my 100 hour P1. I validated and had a flight check and that was that! All accepted of my medical. I'm sorry, please forgive, I'm on a CAA NZ PPL licenc, which is valid for life - so obviously this can cause a difference - if your licence if not held for life. But for me there's no point in getting my PPL converted - even though I now am back in Blightey - I have had the proper training to get me to the standard here and that's that!

Good luck all!