PDA

View Full Version : Gulf Air from Dublin

anotherglassofwine
12th Apr 2006, 11:52
Hi folks,
Just wanted to hear pax opinions on Gulf Air to Bahrain and onward to Dubai. Just back from Dubai and flew with Emirates which was quite nice, but I don't think it was worth the money we (well - the office! :ok: ) paid.
I am returning to Dubai towards the end of May with Mrs AGOW on pleasure and have noticed some good deals with Gulf Air.
So perhaps some pax could let me know what the entertainment system is like onboard, general service, seat pitch and of course food and wine(!)
Also - what is Bahrain Airport like - easy to find ones way around? decent facilities for a 3 hour stopover?
It will be Gulf Air or direct with EI for me - so very interested to hear your opinions on gulf air. (I'm sorry if this has been dealt with already, I couldn't find anything in the search)

Thanks
AGOW

5711N0205W
13th Apr 2006, 11:14
Out of interest why did you not think Emirates worth the money?

daedalus
13th Apr 2006, 11:42
Have used both recently (tourist class) and Emirates was far better, but, we could just have been unlucky. I complained to Gulfair and they awarded me Euro 800 in compensation (200 per pax), but that was in December, and I have seen no money yet!

I was disappointed in Bahrein compared to Dubai - I lived there for a whilein the 1970's and it has gone downhill in my view.

I would not use Gulfair again.

:)

anotherglassofwine
13th Apr 2006, 12:10
5711N0205W - I think we paid close to 2500 euro per tickets and things were just not up to scratch. On the outbound leg - my seat was filthy and covered in crumbs, I doubt it hadbeen cleaned. The footrest broke about an hour into the flight and the cabin was shabby in general. I think the cleaners might have just done a quick job. I've often had this in tourist class and don't care - you get what you pay for - but when I need to rest and work on a flight I expect a bit more.
I was with BA to HKG last month and the service was just superb and the ticket were much less!

thanks daedalus - your observations are noted!
any other punters flown with Gulf air in particular the A330 from Dub?

Desert Diner
13th Apr 2006, 14:03
Buying tickets on GF and EI have always been for the purpose of getting to/from DUB and not for the "experience" or the "luxury".

Their 330's tend to provide a reasonable seat pitch wise at least. Other than that, most of us expats wishing to get to DUB are looking for the most hassle free experience (ie no stop over). All I ever want is a few drinks on board and then sleep.

GF does that well from BAH and I'm sure EI will do that from DXB

22/04
13th Apr 2006, 22:48
Travelled GF LHR-BAH-KHI in December, but in Y. Had heard bad things, but got a very good price.

GF 330s were clean and tidy. In Y seat back IFE was not AVOD but a good selction of films and music. Cabin service- depends- friendly Irish female crew - more functional Arabic male crew- but adquate all round. In summary very good value for money.

BAH -well depends. One strange restaurant, one DF area and a couple of tea shops -certianly not DXB. But as an ex spotter good views of an entertaning arifield - USAF C130s creating fog with power backs, US Grumman carrier borne turboprops, RAF VC10s and Nimrods, and to make me feel homsick, a transiting Monarch A300 en route Goa-Manchester, but that may not turn you on.

Hope this helps

DPWN
18th Apr 2006, 14:27
I fly Goof Air quite a bit and they are ok. BA and others are better but if i need to get somewhere it will normally have to be the Goofy lot seeing as i'm living in Bahrain. If they are cheaper give em a go but fyi the 330s are better than the 340s. Cattle class food is pretty standard & some of the 340s don't have entertainment systems in the seats. The seat pitch isn't the worst i've experienced either.

BAH airport is ok for a couple of hours but nothing more. It's small, easy to get around and it has a small bar, which is tucked away, and a nice duty free shop.

That said if you can get a direct trip to DXB i'd go for that unless the price of the ticket is significantly more expensive.

Hope this helps

anotherglassofwine
26th Apr 2006, 11:29
Thanks for the all the responses folks. After much pontification I decided to give EI a bash and have booked on the 18th of May.(the price being 330 euro return was the deciding factor!) I'll let those who are interesed know about the flight.

Finally a last query -
Does anyone know what is the definite situation with the aircraft on this route - will I get seatback PTV's or is it the same as the JFK flights? and what are the load levels like presently?
Many thanks
AGOW

Desert Diner
26th Apr 2006, 11:53
The majority of their 330's (nearly all) are some of the original ones, which means no PVT's.:}

apaddyinuk
26th Apr 2006, 12:40
Im afraid that only one EI A330 has the PTV's and that EIDAA. So you have a one in 5 chance that your aircraft will have them!!! LOL!

anotherglassofwine
26th Apr 2006, 14:34
one in five - I like those odds!! :ok:
I'll have the laptop fully juiced up and ready my favourite DVD's just in case!

Thanks for the replies!