PDA

View Full Version : AIRCRAFT LOST IN BARWON HEADS GRASS FIRE

runway16
11th Apr 2006, 21:48
Barwon Heads, Vic. has been in the news in recent times but yesterday it was back in the spotlight when a grass fire raced through the airport destroying at least one hangar and several aircraft plus three cars.

Does any Prunner have more details on the hangar and aircraft loss?

vee1-rotate
12th Apr 2006, 05:37
Wow, that airfield/area in general doesn't have much luck

- Pilot crashes into hangar on take off
- Skydiver killed on a jump
- Aircraft loses engine power and crashes into beach in Torquay
- Grass fire destroys aircraft

plus others??

Will be down there on Friday and Saturday so will get some pictures if anyone is interested...

morning mungrel
13th Apr 2006, 00:47
The whole area isn't known as the 3 ring circus for nothing......

pall
13th Apr 2006, 18:34
An Auster and a very rare Puss Moth lost (destroyed)in one hanger. A Jabaru in an adjacent hanger severly damaged (melted down). A number of cars around airport owners house (real owner, not pretend would be owner) badly burnt.
Appears to have started in a paddock across the road to the west.

nig&nog
14th Apr 2006, 12:02
Barwon Heads when I use to fly there many moons ago was great. Barbara Beg or whatever her name was(cant remember due to alcohol intake over the years) was a great lady. Its sad to see that there is so much hatred in such a beautiful place. What a waste to see it get closed down but with the attitude that I have heard coming from that place and with the price of land always winning over airports, it wont be long. If you are suppose to be professional why not act like it and make the place a great airport to visit again.

inthefluffystuff
15th Apr 2006, 05:53
Try this site for a photo or two www.geelongaeroclub.com/ I believe it shows some shots of the guy's Aircraft. Very sad for them.

pall
15th Apr 2006, 17:44
Rocket Rob,

Was it a Hornet Moth, Leapard Moth or Fox Moth?

I had always thought it was a Puss Moth. I think they have a Puss Moth at YMMB in their museum. Perhaps that is where I got the idea that mister MB's ac was a Puss Moth.:confused:

I have looked at the pics from the Aero Club web page www.geelongaeroclub.com/ but it is too extensively damaged to recognise anything beyond the Gypsy Major powerplant.

LL

My mother told me about people like you. Didn't believe her at the time but perhaps she was right.

Rocket Rob
15th Apr 2006, 23:29
Pall
Me tinks it was a Cirrus Moth???!!!

Newforest
16th Apr 2006, 11:21
Pall
Me tinks it was a Cirrus Moth???!!!

You would be suggesting VH-JGS which is based at the airfield?

Rocket Rob
17th Apr 2006, 00:29
Newforest

Would not know the rego as it was being restored by his son over quite a long period, would be a big blow to him and all feel very sad for him.

Apophis
17th Apr 2006, 01:48
Newforest
Would not know the rego as it was being restored by his son over quite a long period, would be a big blow to him and all feel very sad for him.
A local news quoted 26 years being restored lets face it you if you been working on it for 26 years it was never going to be finished let alone fly .

Rocket Rob
17th Apr 2006, 13:37
Apophis

You do not know do you it had the fuse and engine and all other parts up and running, the wings have been almost finished and it was very close to getting assembled.

You may have heaps of money but others try to rebuild to original and that takes time and coins, not to mention someone who will help to bag and sign off. A post has said you are negative and I am thinking it may be so, please do not voice silly comments unless you know the facts.

Oh and thanks Woomera for taking my post off!!!!

the wizard of auz
17th Apr 2006, 14:52
Oh and thanks Woomera for taking my post off!!!

:} :} :E :p

QNH1013.2
18th Apr 2006, 00:27
Holly crap I just had a look; it's Frank Connell's J200 Jabiru. What a bloody tragedy.

Rocket Rob
18th Apr 2006, 03:42
QNH1013.2

Yes it was mate and another shame as he has spent a good deal of time and devotion as well. He states he has another project almost ready and will shift it forward but a loss like this is still a smack in the face for anyone.

Wizz

Yeah and it was not even inflammatory (I think) but hey that's the way it goes. Cannot understand your post?

pall
18th Apr 2006, 16:45
Anyone know how it stared. Seemed to begin in adjacent property across Lake Rd. Someone told me that the cause was being investigated.:confused:

accc
19th Apr 2006, 04:08
Definitley a sad day at Barwon Heads, the firees did a brillant job saving Beggs house...Well done guy's!

Rocket, implying that something was fishy by instigating that someone deliberately started the fire is definitley inflammatory.

Its about time Woomera started deleting the rest of the dads Army's defamatory remarks and you guys all start to get along, before the swell of local land owners close the airport down, and we all loose another place to land.

Rocket Rob
19th Apr 2006, 13:44
ACCC

Do not put words into my statement you galaha, It was in all the papers about suspect arson and is still ongoing!!!!

And show me the spot I mentioned anything about deliberate??

accc
20th Apr 2006, 02:39
Rocket, the papers stated that the cause of the fire was under investigation - there was no indicatin in the papers of suspect arson.
Your post was removed becuase you insinuated a fact that was clearly not true and lacked basis.
It is this type of behaviour that has got Barwon Heads into the state that it is today.
May i suggest that you work with the two landowners at Barwon Heads to prevent the surrounding landowners and politicians closing the airport down.

Tarboy
20th Apr 2006, 10:29
Barwon Heads won't close down. They'll need it to park the bent aircraft at Torqair once it closes.
Tarboy

inthefluffystuff
21st Apr 2006, 06:53
Rocket

I was down there at an earlier time about when it was being put under control and heard them say it was a bit suspicious and would need looking at, that ACCC seems a bit of a wan*er and is trying to bait you.

inthefluffystuff
5th May 2006, 08:26
Ash airport culprit

The Independant Friday May 5th. 2006 states:Investigators have fingered a spill of ash from a wood heater as the culprit of a damaging fire at Barwon Heads Airport.

Ah well at least the reason has been found but not much joy if you lost Cars,Planes and a Hangar.

the wizard of auz
5th May 2006, 08:33
Ah, Bugga. There goes all the tingling and suspense for all the conspiracy theorists. :} :}

Apophis
5th May 2006, 10:03
Where was the wood heater don,t tell me it was in a hangar was it ?

accc
6th May 2006, 10:00
Fluffy, goes to show, you need to be careful when pointing your bone!

Hey do you have any details on this proposed development at Barwon Heads Airfield to replace the hangers that burnt down.

I have heard they are going to build something like 10 new hangers

130M X 25M each making Barwon Heads the largest privetly owned airfield in Victoria.

inthefluffystuff
8th May 2006, 00:41
Apophis

No the house across the road!! seems that the ashes (alleged) got whipped up by the wind a bit unfortunate for everyone.

ACCC

Now which bone would you be pointing asking questions like that, is it a lets find out what the opposition is doing or a fishing expedition?

Apophis
8th May 2006, 02:17
NO i just wanted to know what happened and that gives me the answer and i am not trying to push torquay i think barwon heads is a great operation..:ok:

inthefluffystuff
8th May 2006, 13:40
Apophis
No the bone answer was for ACCC as he was having a shot,sorry it appeared for you mate.

VH-XXX
8th May 2006, 23:07
making Barwon Heads the largest privetly owned airfield in Victoria.

Tell me what EXACTLY would make Barwon Heards the LARGEST privately owned airfield in Victoria?????

Is it the number of Hangars, Runway Length, Runway Surface, Number of Aircraft, Size of flying School, Number of hours flown from the field, students in the flying school or number of parachute jumps? I can think of a field in Vic, not all that far by air from Barwon that trumps Barwon in all of the above...

inthefluffystuff
8th May 2006, 23:29
Ask ACCC he is the one making the statement not anybody else, he has an agenda by the sound of it.(VH-XXX maybe that is him also.)

The people at Barwon Heads are just doing flying and making provision (vision also) for others to have a place to hangar the types and sizes of craft they wish to fly and try to preserve from the elements, some get excited by anothers ability to expand. (The aircraft game the only place people get bitchy and tormented by others operations.)

In another breath the operation at Torquay was the fastest expanding operation in Geelong a few years back and a credit to get where it was going in such a short time so I am surprised at his slap at the operation at the heads.

Try to be a bit more stable ACCC it only helps all in the area.

BOOPY BOO
9th May 2006, 04:17
Take a look at Lethbridge Airpark.
It has:
Flying School.
Good hangers.
Many aircraft hangered there.
Good people.
Great Saturday BBQ lunch.
Not that far away from, but well away from the "3 ring circus" closer to the coast.

Boops!

inthefluffystuff
9th May 2006, 14:05
Boopy

Who cares, ACCC is the one to tell all about it,he seems a bit worried?

pall
11th May 2006, 02:00
I think ACCC is concerned about the overall assets of the airfield. If the hangars are built it improves the airfield assets which could be a good thing. Am I on the right track?

inthefluffystuff
13th May 2006, 05:29
Pall
Dunno what path you are on mate??? but ACCC belongs to torqair does thar help you at all???

pall
14th May 2006, 08:40
FLUFFY STUFF

Thanks, now I understand where ACCC is coming from. Thought it was another punter who has asked his brief to enquire if the resent fire has diminished the Barwon Heads airport's asset valuation. One assumes that if the asset is diminshed it may adversely influence his case.

Conversely if the asset is strengthened then the case could have more weight. I think it is a case of :ugh: rather than common sense.

accc
15th May 2006, 05:15
Pall & Fluffy, are you sure you guys havent been smoking the grass at Barwon Heads! - it looks like paranoia is setting in.

I cant see how PPL is in competition to Fluffy's bug smashing business.

Took the time to have a long weekend and travelled down to Geelong on Friday arvo, and picked up a copy of the plan for myself.

No suprise really, that Hawke and Begg are planning to build 3 large hangers 130M X 25M on the parachute landing area and 4 smaller hangers at the North end of the property. With the possibility of Begg renovating her house for a possible further 3 large hangers on her property.

XXX that would make more hanger space available than any other privately ownd airfield in Victoria that i am aware of.

Now, i think it makes more sense for all concerned.

Squawk7700
15th May 2006, 05:42
ACCC... I get it now, because an airfield has lots of hangars it makes it the biggest privately owned in Vic?

Question - do they have more than 50 aircraft at Barwon Heads?

Do they have over a km of bitumen with more than 1 runway?

Do they have 24x7 Runway lights?

Restaurant?

Cafe / Canteen?

Maintenance Facilities?

Aircraft wash facilities?

Ample parking?

Quality taxiways that don't tear off your undercarriage?

Refuelling?

Parachuting - Incident free?

Just wondering what makes a place the biggest privately owned airfield in Victoria...

inthefluffystuff
15th May 2006, 09:34
Squawk

Right on the money mate I'm with you, why does anyone worry about someone raising hangars and parking space? I am sure it does not make a BIG operation!!

Like I said ACCC is a little worried about something? Who cares and for the record I do not have any connection with the Airfield concerned!!

Your last post sure paints a nice setup for a well organised place, hope no bitchyness is there?
NO
YES
NO
KIND OF
NO
KIND OF
YES
MMMM
YES
NO THANK CHR*ST
CANNOT ANSWER THAT ONE.
ALL THE ABOVE ARE JUST OBSERVATIONS WHEN I VISITED.

pol
15th May 2006, 10:35
ACCC
I don’t know where you got you’re information from, obviously not the same Geelong council I spoke to today, as they have only received one planning application for a small hangar at the north end of the field.
Guess you used the 3 LARGE HANGARS and Begg’s name to juice up your story.
QUESTION
Do you have a problem with hangars being built on Barwon Heads airport or is it sour grapes????
Vee1-rotate
What an interesting post, now let’s look more closely at the causes
- Pilot crashes into hangar on take off
- SKYDIVE ASSOCIATED
- Skydiver killed on a jump
- SKYDIVE ASSOCIATED
- Aircraft loses engine power and crashes into beach in Torquay
- NOTHING TO DO WITH BARWON HEADS BUT ALSO SKYDIVE ASSOCIATED
- Grass fire destroys aircraft
- ME THINKS LITTLE FINGERS AND MATCHES (“where was Dancing Boy at the time?’’)
plus others??
- WHAT OTHERS ?
This Airport / Area did not have a problem until the Dirt Darts appeared on the scene.
The wizard of auz
Don’t even think about it Woomera will pull your post.:oh:
pol:ok:

inthefluffystuff
15th May 2006, 10:49
Pol

Ouch Pol that's a post that will keep the ACCC on heat for awhile, sure does make you think hard about dem dirt darts! I had a post very similar to yours but a Woomera pulled it (there is more than one) them guy's did not like it??? I believe Rocket Boy had one similar as well so you will probably lose your's.