PDA

View Full Version : North Tassie airstrip

jetbrett
11th Apr 2006, 06:36
Hi guys and girls,

Might be going on a bit of a camping weekend with the boys for some pale ale consumption down to northern Tasmania. Can anyone recommend a good strip/good region around Wynyard/ Devonport that is close to a fishing spot and is away from civilisation, and could host a Partenavia.
Thanks in advance. JB

UnderneathTheRadar
11th Apr 2006, 06:58
Hi guys and girls,

Might be going on a bit of a camping weekend with the boys for some pale ale consumption down to northern Tasmania. Can anyone recommend a good strip/good region around Wynyard/ Devonport that is close to a fishing spot and is away from civilisation, and could host a Partenavia.
Thanks in advance. JB

Don't go so far - Lady Baron on Flinders Island rules!

UTR

compressor stall
11th Apr 2006, 06:59
Not sure if you have to be on the mainland of Tasmania :ouch: but Killiecrankie on the northwestern tip of Flinders Island is a fantastic spot. Been in there in a P68 myself back in 98.

Alf Stackhouse was the bloke who ran the place back then, and was building some cabin accommodation as well.

compressor stall
11th Apr 2006, 07:00
*snap* d'oh! :cool:

UnderneathTheRadar
11th Apr 2006, 07:52
jinx :)

(Although Killicranke is the other place I was trying to think of!)

UTR

flywatcher
11th Apr 2006, 09:34
Ring John Rowell, he has a beaut grass strip fifteen miles behind Devonport at the base of Mt Roland, close to the highland lakes for fishing and not to far from civilisation, also on the way to Cradle Mountain.

QNH1013.2
11th Apr 2006, 11:37
Nah, be very careful taking a Partenavia into the big K on Flinders, it's not the best. You can get a Chieftain in there if you're careful, but it's not the brilliant. Couple of years back a 210 from Latrobe Valley got written off there in a crosswind. Lady Barron is probably the best. There's a nice Tavern nearby and it's close to fishing and water activities and boat charters. Tooradin Flying School / TGS Air Charter operate group accommodation and fishing charters and operate the Lady Barron strip - give them a call for info.

compressor stall
11th Apr 2006, 22:40
Care is required wherever one goes, but the C210 accident was caused by a downwind landing and too late go-around, possibly contributed by the lack of a WDI. I am not sure if there is a WDI there now. ATSB report here (http://www.atsb.gov.au/publications/investigation_reports/2002/aair/aair200205901.aspx).

QNH1013.2
11th Apr 2006, 23:46
All true, however I still wouldn't recommend it for the Partenavia; it's just a bit rough and there are better options elsewhere, particularly down south on the island.

compressor stall
12th Apr 2006, 02:57
Fair enough - I have not been there for 8 years. I don't remember it being too rough for the P68, but things change in time no doubt!

:ok: