PDA

View Full Version : Jeppview

29 Inches
11th Apr 2006, 00:59
G'day Boys & Girls,

I've just finished about 6 months worth of Jeppesen Updates:*. Needless to say I am over the whole manual update thing.

Does anybody out there have any experience with Jeppview? Is it any good and is it worthwhile?

Cheers,

29 Inches

Chocks Away
11th Apr 2006, 04:24
Operated with it Domestically and O/S and found it good, provided a printer is onhand before you fly, or you fly with a laptop. (sensational if you have a tablet).
Currency of plates and support was an issue though. Do a search on the topic here as quite a lengthy thread was generated on this not so long back.

Happy Landings:ok:

Capt Claret
11th Apr 2006, 04:59
29 inches

I tried JeppView3 for a year before going back to the paper based product.

My biggest gripe was that the airway manual couldn't be kept current short of checking each page of the electronic version against the paper manual, each fortnight. Further, one couldn't print out a block of pages. One could only view/print one page at a time.

For me, it was a very disappointing experience, also very costly, and if it wasn't for my employer mandating Jeppesen, I'd have gone back to AirServices manuals.

I can't say what changes if any have occurred since I went back to the paper based product in August 2005. :ugh:

747dieseldude
11th Apr 2006, 05:23
In the cockpit it should only be used on a tablet or a dedicated EFB.
You must not rely on it solely to print your entire charts for the route, because you can never tell which charts for which airport you will need (see evergreen at LHR).
I see only a few ways it can be used effectively:
1. With an EFB or Tablet. If you use a tablet that is not certified, know the risks, like power outage, hanging on to it in turbulence, difficulity to read it well in direct sunlight etc.
2. As a supplementary to a paper set, like to print an extra copy for the other pilot to use of the destination only.
3. If fly a limited number of relatively short routes, that have only 20-30 airports along the way. Then you can spend the time each update to go over this airport list, and check for updates and print them.
4. At the office, to be used in flightplanning, performance calculations etc.

The charts themselves are excellent, and you can print it on any size paper, so your can enlarge crowded procedures and airport layouts.
Recently added electronic text is great too.
Support is also good. I had a problem with a disc, wrote them an email, and got a new cd 48 hours later.

If you are planning to print a lot, better have a good stock of printer cartridges, especially if you plan to do it with a portable printed on board the a/c.

Good luck,

Oktas8
12th Apr 2006, 06:57
Charts are not at all useful when printed in my opinion. There is lots of missing information such as MOCA's, distances, route names, when printed.

On screen it's great - you can access all information. But much of it doesn't print out, even at very large scale.