PDA

View Full Version : ATPL(A) to ATPL(H)

Howard Hughes
10th Apr 2006, 22:21
Can anyone tell me what is required to convert my ATPL(A) to an ATPL(H), or at least initially a CPL(H). I understand that I would require 60 hours of flight time in order to hold a CPL(H), but I am not sure which exams I would need to undergo. As I hold an ATPL(A) can I complete the ATPL(H) exams immediately, or do I need to go through PPL, CPL, etc... first?
Thanks in advance.
Cheers, HH.:ok:

disco_air
11th Apr 2006, 11:11
HH

I looked into this a little while ago..

For the CPL(H)

CNAV, CMET and CHUF are common between (A) and (H) leaving Systems, Aerodynamics, Law and Performance/Planning
For the ATPL(H)

ANAV, AMET, AHUF and ALWA are common, leaving Systems/Aerody, Performance & Flight Planning

I believe you can do all the required exams (CPL & ATPL) prior to doing any flying, and then its just a matter of flying training to CPL and accruing hours for the ATPL :cool:

And some fixed wing hours count towards the ATPL(H) just like some rotary wing hours count towards the ATPL(A)!

Cheers

Disco

Howard Hughes
11th Apr 2006, 11:34
Thanks for the reply Disco,

Just to clatify, I would be required to do CPL subjects first?

Cheers, HH.

disco_air
11th Apr 2006, 11:42
Well....

To be eligible for an ATPL(H) you must already hold a CPL(H), to have your CPL(H) you need to do all of those subjects prior to the flight test.

I guess it doesnt matter what order you did the subjects in, but it would make sense to do the CPL ones first because theyre less difficult?

...Disco

Howard Hughes
11th Apr 2006, 12:12
Thanks again Disco, now to find a flight school.:ok:

disco_air
11th Apr 2006, 12:19
Let me know when you find a good one! :rolleyes:

...Disco

helmet fire
12th Apr 2006, 10:32
Be careful about when you did your ATPL A exams. If they were done before the new system, you have to do them all again for the H.

Good school: try Chopperline in Coloundra. No I dont work for them (never have).

Howard Hughes
12th Apr 2006, 11:28
Be careful about when you did your ATPL A exams. If they were done before the new system, you have to do them all again for the H.
Good school: try Chopperline in Coloundra. No I dont work for them (never have).
Luckily I did my exams under the current sytem.:ok:

compressor stall
12th Apr 2006, 11:37
What o you mean by new system...I did mine in 96, where does that leave me?

helmet fire
12th Apr 2006, 12:23
1996 is close to the new system change over, so you might be buggered too!

I did mine in 1991. D'oh.
They wanted me to do all the subjects again.

clear to land
12th Apr 2006, 14:12
To convert there is a conversion exam (was a single paper a few years ago) for CPL , then do the required ATPL subjects. Another reccom. is Advanced Flight Theory at Maroochy (did mine with them and very happy). They will also be able to give you the ins and outs of current conversion laws. Yellow pages or Google will find them. 750 hrs FW can be counted towards RW ATPL ie you will need 750 hrs RW. You will not have to do IREX again, probably a good thing-one less exam fee. Have fun. Although I now drive big planks for a living its nowhere near as much fun as fling wing.:)

Lefthanded_Rock_Thrower
12th Apr 2006, 15:52
Howard,

I did a couple of years ago exact what you are wanting to do:

you need to do all CPL-H exams, aerodynamics-H is a bit of a pain for a fixed wing person, you'll work it out.

The theory ( including ATPL-H ), accept no substitute, go to see Warren at AFT, they are fantastic.

School: i'd suggest someone like Fleet Helicopters at Armidale, there was a top bloke ( well for a VB drinker ) Tim Latimer was rumoured to be starting/started a school in Byron Bay ( or near by ), or HTT at YSBK.

Do not go to one of the sausage factories.

Rotary is a lot more fun than fixed wing, enjoy !!!!!.