PDA

View Full Version : Military Tailoring

Time Flies
10th Apr 2006, 16:29
Dear PPruners,

I'm am looking to purchase a new set of No. 5's.

I was going to approach Gieves and Hawkes having been impressed with their suits and shirts.

Before I do, can anyone suggest any other (dare I say better) military tailors?

Thanks in advance for your advice!

TF

Climebear
10th Apr 2006, 16:56
Dear PPruners,
I'm am looking to purchase a new set of No. 5's.
I was going to approach Gieves and Hawkes having been impressed with their suits and shirts.
Before I do, can anyone suggest any other (dare I say better) military tailors?
Thanks in advance for your advice!
TF

G D Golding (Tailors) Ltd has been highly recommended - By appointment to HM the Queen no less.

At £1058 for No5 (Buttons and Rank will be extra) it is not cheap - but then what else is a chap to spend his military salary (and flying pay) on.

The Website is here:

http://www.tailors.co.uk/military_and_livery/appointed_regiments_detail.php?Regiment=RAF&type=male_officer

The promotional video is worth watching for the comedy value (especially if you are of a more portly build).

Hilife
10th Apr 2006, 17:08
I've been using G D Golding in Camberley for years and cut is superb. As mentioned, not cheap, but certainly worth every penny.

Not sure who is currently busiest military tailor, Gieves or Golding?

L1A2 discharged
10th Apr 2006, 18:10
try e-bay first ... save a fortune :ok:

helidriver
10th Apr 2006, 18:13
Just had the whole lot done with Ertan Beskardes of messdress.com, Tel:01202 302846. I think you might find he does most of Goldings stuff under contract. Great bloke and service (even came to my house for fitting!). It's worked out a third less than "Thieves of Squawks" and "Golddiggers".

helidriver

PlasticCabDriver
10th Apr 2006, 18:50
Gents, while I appreciate that being on the "other means" the posters are almost exclusively of the brown variety, the advice is often sound, so may I suggest this thread:

http://www.arrse.com/cpgn2/Forums/viewtopic/t=16718.html

Gieves and Goldings get very short shrift, there may be better places to try.

AllTrimDoubt
10th Apr 2006, 20:28
Post yer vitals & I'll chop the next chap through who fits the bill for a fee that would undercut all tailors!!

Onan the Clumsy
10th Apr 2006, 21:13
Before I do, can anyone suggest any other (dare I say better) military tailors?Is your wife any good at sewing? Perhaps she could take your old No 2s and your old No 3s and make something of them.

AerBabe
10th Apr 2006, 21:34
I recently bought a set of No 5s from the station tailor at Cranwell. Although they're off-the-shelf, they adjusted the hem on the skirt and the jacket sleeves. It cost me about £325 for the skirt, jacket and cummerbund, with braiding. They really were excellent - they even did the adjusting while I waited (took about two hours), as I needed it in a hurry. :ok:

Postman Plod
10th Apr 2006, 21:50
Ummm £40 off ebay (waistcoat), fitted like a glove, perfect condition, and the chap was even decent enough to have the same rank as me!

Time Flies
10th Apr 2006, 22:59
Thank you to all for your responses.

Is your wife any good at sewing?

Spending yes...sewing unfortunately no! It would also be quite a challenge to remember where on earth that wretched No. 2 uniform is.

try e-bay first ... save a fortune

I have no doubt I will but I think a telephone call to G D Golding is in order.

Thanks once again.

TF

Ed Winchester
11th Apr 2006, 07:47
Ummm £40 off ebay (waistcoat), fitted like a glove, perfect condition, and the chap was even decent enough to have the same rank as me!

Since when did we start wearing rank on our waistcoats?

tmmorris
11th Apr 2006, 13:41
Got mine from www.messkitonline.co.uk, 600 quid all in, and pretty good quality. You send the measurements, they send it back, free alterations if needed during the first month. They're in Leeds so I guess you would get better measurements if you went to their place rather than measuring yourself. Mine fitted perfectly first time.

Tim

buoy15
11th Apr 2006, 15:35
Time Flies
How about e-mailing Mess Managers with your details and ask them to check their sales and wants books (with a renumeration of course) to see if you can pick up a bargain
I have for sale:
No1 - 42" chest - 35" waist - 31"-32" inside leg - £120
No5 with full waistcoat and silk lapels- same sizes - £120
Brand new SD hat 7+3/8" - with badge - £35
Pair of brand new (never worn) Oxfords size 10 medium - £25
Rare original long style Cromby greatcoat - fits 5'10" ht - chest 40" - £200
All ranked to Sqn Ldr = bigger saving in the longer term if you stay in
£490 the lot - prepared to split plus postage
As an aside, I have £500 worth of KD - on the off-chance you might get posted to NEAF, MEAF, FEAF, Florida on exchange - Ha! - No! I thought so - long gone - in hot climes, just wear CS95

Busta
11th Apr 2006, 17:33
Short chap with big feet.

nothing matters very much, most things don't matter at all.