PDA

View Full Version : Irish Air Corps

Shinty
10th Apr 2006, 13:53
Just wondering does anyone have any information about the Irish Air Corps? Do they take many in per year and how hard is it to be selected? Attending the physical examination this week, anyone else attending as well?

Langball
10th Apr 2006, 15:35
Look up http://www.defenceforces.ie/

They take on small numbers each year (I guess 8 to 12), of which 50% (or more) won't make the grade. I believe tha last 'Wings Course' graduated 3 pilots, not including another who was tragically killed in a car crash a few weeks before graduation (R.I.P.).

You might have seen in the papers they flew an ex-Air Corps Spitfire to baldonnel for the Wings Course.

If you pass the medical then expect a visit to the 'trick cyclist' for some psychometric tests. Maybe some of the more common IQ type tests also.

If you get to the interview then best 'gen-up' on current affairs, etc. Get a nice hair cut and look the part. Also be ready for the question 'whats wrong with the Army and Navy, why just the Air Corps'.

Nice new PC9 aircraft to train in.

buoy15
10th Apr 2006, 17:20
Shinty
Yes - play Shinty - drink plenty of Guinness, give blood once a week in a local bar brawl - place a few bets at the weekend - read the age of a horse by looking at his teeth - prove your mother sold heather and pegs for 20 years to support the family - convince the Board you are an only son and you have a driving licence - demonstrate you can lift a sack of spuds one-handed above your head and wrestle a pregnant sheep in the dark - finally, drive a tractor without a licence - Simple - your In!
However, I think you will have lots of competition with the bouoys from Galway and Limerick - they are hardy lads:)
Best 'O luck now matey! Ha!

Shinty
11th Apr 2006, 13:28
Cheers Langball, was up close to one of the PC9’s last year, their fine machines. Seen them take off; they have a serious Vx rate.
Thanks for the complement buoy15, I’m from one of them counties too!!:O