PDA

View Full Version : Airfield between sydney and brisbane

Aussie
10th Apr 2006, 08:03
Gday all,

Anyone know of any airfields along the coastal route from Sydney to Brisbane, which one could stop for lunch and get a feed at or near the aerodrome, without heading into the township?

Cheers

*Lancer*
10th Apr 2006, 08:38
Old Bar, on the coast at Taree. Short walk away from beach to a good cafe.

Port Macquarie and Coffs have some great places on the water, and they're only $10 and 5-10 mins away in a cab. Port is about halfway to Brissy too.

Dicko183
10th Apr 2006, 10:06
Yeah mate,
Coffs harbour or Port Macquarie is a good stop. I did the trip not long ago and was great.

ContactMeNow
10th Apr 2006, 14:41
Coffs Harbour would be the place to go :ok:

1) Its pretty much mid-way between the two cities
2) There are 2 fuel bowsers
3) There is a cafe that has just opened up in the aero club, the girls there put on a good feed there and its not that costly
4) If your a PPL you can get some good experience flying into and out of D Class airspace.

PM me if you have any problems or questions regarding YSCH

CNM :ok:

WannaBeBiggles
10th Apr 2006, 21:39
Definitly Coffs, the Aeroclub puts on a meal, plus there for any pax that want to have a cold one, or if your overnighting ;)

They will even be able to put you up in their student / o'night rooms.

As mentioned Coffs is controlled and sees a lot of different traffic in and out of it, from Russell Crow and his chartered G4, to VB 737's, QF D8's and Sunshine Express Metros, plus the scenery is very nice, with the mountain ranges coming very close to the coast, with some beautiful rivers.

There is also an ALA in Nambucca Heads (the Hacienda Strip), just north of CFS, right along the river, with a nice motel that serves some top steaks.

PM me if you want to know any more.

Al

Aussie
11th Apr 2006, 03:39
Coffs it is!!!

Thanks guys

Aussie

Bob Murphie
11th Apr 2006, 04:40
Do "NOT" go North of Coffs looking for Nambucca. It is 20 nm South despite what "wrongwayWannabeBiggles" say's. Ask ATC at Coffs for directions, they are usually tolerate, and last I heard give "points" for imaginative landings.

Happy holidays anyway.

WannaBeBiggles
11th Apr 2006, 08:12
Do "NOT" go North of Coffs looking for Nambucca. It is 20 nm South despite what "wrongwayWannabeBiggles" say's. Ask ATC at Coffs for directions, they are usually tolerate, and last I heard give "points" for imaginative landings.

Happy holidays anyway.

Woops!

Teaches me to post before coffee! :p

Find the car dealership just SOUTH the township of Nambucca and you should spot the grss strip just north of that, east of the pacific highway, on the western bank of the river ;)

P.S. the golf green on the island in the middle of the river does not constitute a grass strip :p

Ultralights
11th Apr 2006, 10:01
Camden Haven, though might need to take your own lunch. or fishing grear.
http://ultralight.net.au/forum/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=441&posts=1

ContactMeNow
11th Apr 2006, 13:39
Bob Murphie, you beat me to it regarding "bucca".

The boys up in the tower are more than willing to help you out at anytime, I have NEVER had any problems with them at all. Have not heard about the point system for "imaginative landings", but then again what do you score a flawless landing ;)

And Aussie, I recommend approaching nambucca to get down to 1000' AGL and then making your way up to Coffs (much nicer view). Also if you decide to get a feed at the Aero Club with the girls there. The Chicken snitchzel burger with the works is the go :ok:

Cheers
CMN :ok:

Fragnasty
12th Apr 2006, 13:18
The girls at the Aero Club might be able to help some of you boys with the difference between "your" and "you're" while you are up there.....

Lodown
12th Apr 2006, 19:35
Coffs or Nambucca. Both are nice to spend a lunchtime. Been a decade or more since I was last there, but for just the fun of it and the atmosphere of landing where you like away from the RPT routes and "commercial" traffic with the feeling of having a wonderful grass strip to yourself with a gentle onshore breeze, Nambucca is hard to beat. I wish there were more strips like it dotted along the coast with a short walk to accommodation and food.

HotPete
12th Apr 2006, 22:36
Who is the owner/operator of the Nambucca strip?

Chilli Tarts
12th Apr 2006, 22:52
check out www.aeroclub.com.au
some useful information there

Aussie
12th Apr 2006, 23:13
Thanks again guys.

Will let you know what i thought of it.

CHeers

Aussie

ContactMeNow
23rd Apr 2006, 09:15
So Aussie how did your trip go?

remofo
23rd Apr 2006, 23:53
Palmers Island between Yamba & Maclean
On Palmers Channel 1nm SE of Bridge at Harwood
S29º 26' 42.7"
E153º 16' 02.1"
RWY 09/27 - 900m unsealed/grass/dirt
Contact Bob McIntyre 02 66460126

Nice strip, you can call a taxi and go to Yamba for lunch.

Pass-A-Frozo
24th Apr 2006, 05:10
What did you do the trip in Aussie?

You should drop in and we'll go for a fly :)

Is this the airfield at Nambucca?
http://www.pix8.net/pro/pic/22566YZJUl/850098.jpg