PDA

View Full Version : Point Cook Show Last Sunday

Sunfish
10th Apr 2006, 05:33
Anyone go?

Well I attended (dork with a radio). Interesting displays, especially the Mosquito being restored. Well done to all involved, extremely well planned and excellent facilities.

Especially nice to see the Hudson and the "southern Knghts" Harvard aerobatics team were an eye opener too, as well as all the usual favourites.

Two "unplanned" events.

1. How to bog and unbog a Hercules C130J.

2. The demonstration of jettisoning the main chute and using the reserve given by a parachutist at the start of the flying program.

It would be nice to see the event better advertised. I heard not a peep until a "Heads Up" from the club.

182days
10th Apr 2006, 06:28
Sunfish, im with you. I didnt hear anything about this fantastic event (well im sure it would have been) until today, which is a bit unfortunate because it's all over. If i'd had heard about it i definately would have been there! maybe we'll hear about it a bit more next time hopefully!!! :ok:

Scumfish
10th Apr 2006, 09:24
It was advertised on 3AW and on their website, www.raafmuseum.com.au (http://www.raafmuseum.com.au), however, I suspect that they have a very tight budget, thus the limited advertising. Still, it was a good turnup. Was that you with the Top Gun patch on your flying jacket Sunfish? :D

Sunfish
10th Apr 2006, 09:49
No flying jacket. I wouldn't dare wear a patch unless we invented "The League of Dumb Aircraft Drivers" (LDAD) - the Badge - a Golden Emu falling head first towards a sepia ground flapping its wings with zero effect - or maybe a flying Penguin, Cassowary, Malee Fowl or whatever. You get my drift.

pall
10th Apr 2006, 19:05
I went with my son. We loved it. Can't believe it was free. I enjoyed this more than Avalon. Smaller, less crowded, friendly atmosphere. Great flying display. Sadly I missed the early part. Would love to fly in next year. Found it only by chance on their web page.:ok:

Millski
11th Apr 2006, 01:38
Hey Sunflapper er fish
I to very much enjoyed the day also only found out about it from the bar at the yacht club from some Red drinking bar chair pilot.
Checked out the Herc in the Dirt, and the jumper opps need new panties jumper.
I was amazed at how small the Mosi is in the flesh,
had a friend that flew during the war RAAF 464 SQD attacked the Amiens jail in France, was a top bloke and an amazing pilot [Sqn Ldr A I McRitchie].
Keep up the good work on the Mosquito, well done chaps.
Scumfish, do people actually listen to 3AW bu$%##t.
Spoke to 11 mates, they did not no it was on, 2 live at Point Cook 1 at Laverton, could hear the planes.
Rgds Millski :ok:

UnderneathTheRadar
11th Apr 2006, 07:04
It was advertised on 3AW and on their website, www.raafmuseum.com.au (http://www.raafmuseum.com.au), however, I suspect that they have a very tight budget, thus the limited advertising. Still, it was a good turnup. Was that you with the Top Gun patch on your flying jacket Sunfish? :D

I was there too - it was great for a free event.

On the advertising thing, they could have ditched (figuratively) the Hawk (say) and spent the petrol money on advertising. Seemed very very empty for what could have been a lot bigger. Was also disapointing but not suprising to see at least 25% of people disapear as soon as the Roulettes finished.

UTR

PS The Mosquito is amazing - I had no idea that it was all wood - and large parts of it balsa at that!