PDA

View Full Version : Career progress...

Captain2b
7th Apr 2006, 17:08
Im currentley in the met police force in london, i hold a ppl (110 hours) and am on the BGS distance learning course. From the year dot ive dreamed,as many, to turn up for work with 3 bars on the shoulders, checking the WX and sorting me loadsheet out before plonking myself into the righthand seat of the A320. At 18 i went for the morrisby profile for AIRTOURS but failed. I left college with a standard 9 GCSE's and a city and guilds in AIRLINE STUDIES...I worked for JEPPESEN for about a year then went on to work for AIR 2000/ (as was) as a ground ops co-ordinator for about another year. At that stage, it seemed no-one ever had so much as a sniff of a sponsorship unless you could write which uni you attended on the application form?

I took another stance and accepted i would go on the self funded route, staying in the airlines at that level was certainly not going to fund this type of qualification... I left the airlines and joined the police force in a hope of not only funding the whole operation but to be able to obtain some extra qualities as a person that may assist in something more than holding a f/atpl in the air when it came to flying applications..... When it comes to airline selection,i feel this type of educational background would be laughed at?, it fustrates me to hear on a constant basis how people can leave uni with no desire for this dream career what so ever,and give the sponsorship a go on the off chance and seem to sail through into a righthand seat??

How do airline selection boards work when it comes to each persons individual background and potential personal qualities on the flightdeck against educational attributes?

ROSCO328
7th Apr 2006, 22:58
Somtimes this is the way it may seem but it's not all that way my man!! I wont say getting a job in aviation is like any other job because it's not it's way harder...! and yes there are people out their who sale straight into your dream job but really don't have the passion that others do, but don't let that develope a chip on your shoulder because the only one who will suffer is you. Plug away building hours and most of all friends and contacts and 1 day you WILL be giving advise to others who are just at the foot of the mountain!!Good luck!!:)

P.S Just incase I get shat on im a modular guy and took me 5 years from zero to right hand seat.:E

sicky
8th Apr 2006, 00:58
Rosco, do you have a degree?

ROSCO328
8th Apr 2006, 01:33
No mate nothing at all. Whoops I meant sicky. Sorry!

sicky
8th Apr 2006, 01:59
lol don't worry i get that a lot! I really don't think a degree comes into it, i know there's a huge thread on this with the general conclusion that it's all about the individual, but if a degree came into it, it would be a requirement on application. As long as both people have the appropriate qualifications for flying a degree shouldn't anddoesn't seem to matter. Judging from what i've read anyway!

rmcdonal
8th Apr 2006, 03:44
I think the main upside with a degree was if it came down to 2 pilots for the one job. Both have similar hrs, age, but one has a degree and the other not.

Gazeem
8th Apr 2006, 09:14
My degree was so bad that I left it off my CV when I was looking for a job! Too much of a good time was had at the college of knowledge!
When it comes to comparing two pilots of similar age experience etc, I suspect a pilot recruiter would select the guy who would fit in best ahead of the one with a degree per ce.
Personal qualities are more desirable that academic achievement in a world where you are locked together for 12 hours at a time!
Don't get me wrong a reasonable level of education is required, but comparing grades and levels of degree isn't going to be a discriminator for fATPL holders.

sicky
8th Apr 2006, 17:20
Well like has been covered over and over, i think that some airlines may go for the degree if the pilots were identical except for that, whilst others may go for the personality. If you think about it, you both have the FATPL, so where will the degree help?

scroggs
8th Apr 2006, 18:06
Archive Reference Threads - READ BEFORE YOU POST A QUESTION (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=131649)

In there you will find answers to most of your questions.

Scroggs

Re-Heat
8th Apr 2006, 22:04
yes there are people out their who sale straight into your dream job but really don't have the passion that others do

Passion is great, but if you are failing selections and personality tests required of the job, does pursuing a self-funded route really seem a good idea?

Likewise, what does a poor degree result show of an individual's commitment to their choices?

Just because degree holders are successful, how does that exactly translate into them being less passionate than a non-degree holder exactly?

Caution of preconceptions either way, and make your own luck.