Duxford is a great airfield and a brilliant destination for people with an
interest in aviation, especially the old-timers -- aircraft, I mean, not
people. I thought forumites might be interested to see what's being done
this year to encourage visitors by air to the airfield and the museum. This
is an extract from some information they have produced:

"DUXFORD BONUS DAYS. Every month in season, Duxford will run one or two
Bonus Days. On these days, certain types of aircraft (or pilots) will enjoy
half-price landing fees and much reduced museum admission. A single can land
for £7; museum entry is £7 for most adults and children come in free.

FLY-INs. Any group of pilots planning to visit Duxford can arrange special
prices in advance, subject to a minimum of about 6 aircraft (for discounted
landing fees) and/or 20 people (for discounted museum admission as well).
This does not apply to event days, and it must be pre-arranged in writing
with the airfield manager, Frank Marson.

Ten Bonus Days are planned for the 2006 flying season, including:

15th April Bonus Day for local Schools and Clubs.
6th May Bonus Day for any Cessna aircraft, pilot and passengers
3rd June Bonus Day for any Piper aircraft, pilot and passengers
15th July Bonus Day for any taildragger aircraft, pilot and pax

In addition, the airfield would like to welcome a Student Fly-In, so 15th
August has been nominated as a Student Bonus Day.

More Bonus Days are planned for the rest of the season.

There are no guarantees, but you are almost certain to see warbirds flying -
Spitfire, Hurricane, T-bird, B17, Catalina and other rare types are based at
Duxford.

Please call 01223 833376 for more information (by fax or email), PPR and a
briefing. Come along and fly-in to Europe's premier aviation museum - on a
bonus day or any day."

I'd better declare my interest. I'm a Duxford fan and a casual FISO. Hope to
see you at EGSU some time in 2006.

Alan ('AA')

WorkingHard
7th Apr 2006, 19:10
Alan - great news. I have not had time or reason to visit Duxford for some time but 6th May perhaps will change that. More please!

AerBabe
7th Apr 2006, 21:00
I wouldn't call you a casual FISO ... you are always so professional! :ok: I'm back up there again on Monday & Tuesday next week, hope to be working with you again soon.

alphaalpha
12th Apr 2006, 09:48
Aerbabe: :O :O Look forward to seeing you too.

Alan.

RufusRob
12th Apr 2006, 14:41
A note for info............... I've landed at Duxford several times and on each occasion have been asked to pay landing fees on top of Museum entry charges. However, as visiting pilots we're apparently entitled to 2 hours free entry to the museum (a little known fact) and as there's no policing of how much time you do actually spend in the museum the landing fee is the only cost.

Best days to fly in are the Fridays before an air show as there's lots on the ground and lots in the air practicing before the big day so plently going on for free without the hassle of crowds etc.

mdc
12th Apr 2006, 15:47
RufusRob,
Where did you get that information ? As according to the information here. (http://duxford.iwm.org.uk/server/show/ConWebDoc.1181)
It states:
Landing Fees on non-event days
Single engine aircraft £14.00, twin engine aircraft £17.50 (charges are inclusive of VAT). Normal admission charges to view the Museum are payable in addition to landing fees.

SNAFU.
12th Apr 2006, 17:15
Flew into Duxford last month on a non-event day. We had an hour in the museum at no extra charge. A friendly atmosphere and the FISO on the day was very pleasant and helpful. Well worth a visit. :ok:

RufusRob
13th Apr 2006, 07:09
mdc - We were told by the guys taking the cash for the landing fees. When asked if we were planning to enter the museum during our visit, we said no (a blatant lie)! They then told us that we could enter the museum as visiting pilots for up to 2 hrs FOC anyway - a bit oif a throw away comment. Whether this is official policy or not I couldn't say, but worth a try on your next trip as I can't see how they can police your entry to the museum despite non payment of the entry costs.

AerBabe
13th Apr 2006, 07:54
I know that the combined cost of landing fee and museum entry is expensive for some (even though you've probably just paid several times that amount for avgas) ... but that money goes to keeping this world class museum running, so you can keep enjoying it. We can't expect it to have such high quality exhibits for long if everyone tries to get in for nothing.

BTW, I'd heard about the free entry with a landing fee, but I'd heard one hour. Perhaps alphaalpha can tell us.

dwshimoda
13th Apr 2006, 07:57
When asked if we were planning to enter the museum during our visit, we said no (a blatant lie)!

Sorry Rufus, I can't go along with that.

You are deliberately enjoying the beneift of one of the best museums in the country, and with a great heritage that needs preserving, and you are happy to lie to save yourself a few quid?

If you can afford to fly, you can afford the museum fee. Part of the joy of Duxford is contributing to the restoration and upkeep of incredibly rare aircraft, and they need all the money they can get. If you plan on making a few trips there, join as a "Friend of Duxford" it's far cheaper.

You don't deserve to be allowed to land there.

RufusRob
13th Apr 2006, 08:06
Spookily enough, and as an aviation enthusiast, I couldn't agree more re the need to keep the museum exhibits going etc. and I'm normally happy to contribute to such a worth cause. However, I think it's just a little bit much of Duxford to expect us to pay entry costs on top of landing fees (whether I can afford them or not) - especially as I've been told that we get 2 hrs entry FOC anyway.

Do they charge for car parking at Duxford as well as the entry fee:confused:

AerBabe
13th Apr 2006, 08:17
The runway is owned by the council, the museum isn't. You're paying for two completely different things. I see you're from Coventry - would you complain about having to pay a landing fee as well as an entry fee to the museum there?

dwshimoda
13th Apr 2006, 08:19
If you do get 1 hour or two hours free, then take it and enjoy it. But that's not what you put in your post.

Everywhere charges landing fees (oftern higher than Duxford) but I don't expect Coventry or Lydd to put on a fantastic museum for me, perhaps a fly past from a Spitfire, or just give me the special feeling of lining up on the same piece of grass that was used so well 60 years ago.

Having flow in for the Flying Legends last year with my wife and friends, being stung for a bill of over £120 was eye-watering - I would ask Duxford to think about that for this year. Also think through the logisitcs as we were all kept waiting for ages to be bussed back to the aircraft, followed by a lenghty departure queue. But the point is, without funding, Duxford wouldn't be what it is.

Your point about car parking is irrelevant - cars parks don't need fire cover, FISO's, runway inspections, or any number of other things that make a landing fee.

Laundryman
13th Apr 2006, 08:25
Ok rufus, let's say landing fees are £24.00 for a single and entry to the museum is free are you ok with that?

RufusRob
13th Apr 2006, 08:27
AerBabe - That's a fair point although I'm not sure about the Coventry question given the relatively high landing fees versus a relatively low quality of museum (compared to Duxford that is).

AerBabe
13th Apr 2006, 08:36
My argument is still valid - it's an aiport which happens to have a museum on site.

RufusRob
13th Apr 2006, 09:15
Lanudryman - although it's six of one and hald a dozen of the other I'd probably be happy to pay a slightly higher landing fee knowing that a portion of it was part of the museum upkeep costs. I think my original gripe was more to do with being told that we were entiltled to a period of free entry once we'd stated that we wern't intending to visit the museum. Maybe I'm being synical but would they have metioned this if we'd just handed across the cash for the entrance fee?

If they were upfront in the first place I might have been willing to make a separate donation to the museum as I have done in the past. Eitherway, a great place to fly into and as stated previously - the Friday before a show is a great time to be there.

DX Wombat
13th Apr 2006, 21:54
For those who think everywhere charges both landing fees and entry fees for a visit to their museum have a look at http://www.yorkshireairmuseum.co.uk/ I organised a small Museum Bash there last year and it was great fun. They do not charge an entry fee for the pilot of any aircraft which flies in and the landing fee is reduced from its usual £12 if you purchase fuel there see here:http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=159301&highlight=museum+bash Those details were correct for last year and also the previous year but I have not yet been able to check them for this year, however, I can't see that it will have changed much.

HGFC1
24th Apr 2006, 17:29
Providing the weather is good, this lovely C152 (well I think it's lovely and that's all that matters to me) will be there:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v604/DX_Wombat/P1011172.jpg
Isn't anyone else going? I'm only asking as it is only twelve days away and we are the first to book in :(

wsmempson
24th Apr 2006, 17:45
Well, I for one would be delighted to go on the Piper day (as I have a Piper PA28) which is moving from EGLM to EGTB at the end of the month.

Duxford is a great destination and - vis-a-vis the morality question associated with visiting the museum without paying when landing there - if you become a friend of Duxford, you get a reduced landing fee AND free entry to the museum.

Beware the noise abatement procedures though, as they get pretty stroppy if you fly over Duxford village or the local nature reserve; apparently, the birdies don't like it....

Henry Hallam
25th Apr 2006, 02:32
Isn't anyone else going? I'm only asking as it is only twelve days away and we are the first to book in :(

Do we need to book in advance? I thought it was just PPR on the day.

SkyHawk-N
25th Apr 2006, 07:35
apparently, the birdies don't like it....

You also wouldn't like it if you flew into one while flying over their reserve! :sad:

HGFC1
25th Apr 2006, 08:27
Henry, I was advised by my FI that Duxford can get very busy especially at weekends so that if we wanted to be able to arrive and depart at times most suitable for ourselves we should book out slots in advance, which is what I did. :) It also gives them an idea of how many to expect. I was just very surprised to find that I was the first. :hmm: I am also curious about who and which other Cessnas I may see there. ;)

wsmempson
25th Apr 2006, 08:27
You also wouldn't like it if you flew into one while flying over their reserve! :sad:

I quite agree - although they can't be any worse than the Red Kites that fearlessly circle the field at EGTB, all day every day; I reckon hiting one of those would constitute a 'critical' event.....

big.al
25th Apr 2006, 12:53
HGFC1 -

I intend to take C172 "G-ROLY" to Duxford on 6th May, weather permitting of course! Glad I've seen your post about booking in advance, as I would probably have just called for PPR on the day as per Henry's post.

I'll keep a look out for your 'lovely' Mike-Foxtrot...

Regards

Alan.

alphaalpha
25th Apr 2006, 17:05
Let me just correct any misunderstanding. Duxford's normal policy (on non-airshow days) is £14 landing fee for a single. This is reduced if you are 'Friend of Duxford.'

If you visit the museum, normal admission charges apply. Children are free. Amongst other things, The museum is funding a huge 'AirSpace' project (many millions of pounds) and part of the cost comes from admission revenue.

Visitors who fly in to Duxford, but do not visit the museum, do not pay museum entry fees -- for example visiting the on-site or nearby businesses.

Visitors staying up to one hour do not have to pay museum entry fees, so there is time for cup of coffee, return flight planning and a quick look around. I don't know where RufusRob's information that a two hour stay is available without paying museum fees came from. The museum tills close well before the end of the day, so this might be a factor on the day he came.

In addition to all the above, we now have Bonus Days. This gives a half price landing feee and heavily discounted museum entry. The next few dates are:

Sat 6 May: Cessna Bonus day (any single engine Cessna)
Sat 3 June: Piper Bonus day (any single engine Piper)
Sat 15 July: Taildragger Bonus day

You must ring in advance for PPR and a briefing. Because of the type of aircraft flying from Duxford, the frequency of display flying and the noise sensitive areas, you will get a short briefing when you ring.

There are limits to parking, so ringing sooner rather than later is a good idea.

It would be great to see some PPRuNers at any of the above events. Looking forward to lots of Cessnas on 6 May and good weather.

Alan.

HGFC1
25th Apr 2006, 23:27
It will be nice to see both Alans. :D I'm glad my bit of information has been of some use to someone and I'll keep a lookout for G-ROLY too :ok: I tried to find a photo on Airliners but there isn't one. :( Fingers crossed for good weather. :)

RufusRob
26th Apr 2006, 07:12
Hi Alan - info. on 2 hrs free museum access was provided by the guys on the desk when paying landing fees. No idea if this was the official line at the time and haven't had the opportunity to return since then to find out more.

On another point and I'm probably teaching my grannie to suck eggs here, but in the interest of trying to be helpful it might be worth noting that there's no o'head join at Duxford so getting a good idea of joining procedures and joing direction in your head before you set off is well worth the effort. I normally give them a call just before leaving base to confirm circuit direction, rw in use etc. and then simply draw a penciled arrow on my Pooleys guide as a quick reminder as to my inbound track versus the airfield layout. Gives a great mental picture of where I need to position the aircraft for a downwind join.

Anyway, have a great day at Duxford and if you've the time try the Land Warfare exhibit too.

Cheers

big.al
26th Apr 2006, 14:40
HGFC1 -
I tried to find a photo on Airliners but there isn't one.
'ROLY' used to be G-BHIH when it was group owned (I was a member) but the a/c was sold to a former group member - from whom I now rent the 172 - and he re-registered it. Airliners.Net does have a photo under G-BHIH.
Looking forward to a great day at Duxford - top marks to those who have arranged the discounts - everything is usually so expensive when it comes to aviation!
Alan (the Big.AL one)...

alphaalpha
26th Apr 2006, 15:11
Best days to fly in are the Fridays before an air show as there's lots on the ground and lots in the air practicing before the big day so plently going on for free without the hassle of crowds etc.
Rufus Rob is right, but just one caveat. Many of the display aircraft arrive in the couple of days before a show, so GA parking is often limited and not many visitors can be accomodated.
He is also right that Duxford procedures do not allow overhead joins. There is no deadside because the warbirds often fly circuits on the deadside to allow curved final approach without infringing the noise sensitive areas. GA joins downwind for the runway in use. Ring for PPR and you will get a short briefing. 01223 833376; tower summer hours 10-6.
Look forward to seeing you.
Alan.

HGFC1
29th Apr 2006, 09:25
big.al found it thanks! now I know who I am going to be looking out for. :ok: at least there should be three of us and two aircraft there - weather permitting! One little point to note is that there is an event on at Shuttleworth the next day so there may be some non-radio traffic around. Also, anyone interested might like to hang around for both events. I won't be able to.

alphaalpha
5th May 2006, 06:07
Anybody else planning to visit on 6th May?

Don't forget PPR/briefing 01223 833376.

Alan.

Henry Hallam
5th May 2006, 20:59
I had planned to but with an unpleasant forecast for tomorrow and beautiful weather this afternoon (but not enough spare time to land at Dux and visit the museum) I decided to go for a local flight today instead.
I do look forward to visiting Dux some time soon though.

SkyHawk-N
5th May 2006, 21:52
If tomorrow gets weathered out, which looks possible, will another Cessna fly-in be arranged? yes? excellent :ok:

alphaalpha
6th May 2006, 06:08
Skyhawk-N:

As the plans stand at the moment, there won't be another Cessna Bonus Day this year, 'cos we want to have a wide selection of bonus days with different themes. There will be at least one other, though, which you'll be able to use to get your discount. I'll post the follow-on themes and dates when they are finalised.

Alan.

HGFC1
8th May 2006, 13:48
I'm not ignoring this thread, it's just that I'm away from home at the moment so have extremely limited internet access. I'll post something more detailed when I get back. In the meantime a big "Thank you" we had a great time even if we did have to leave a little earlier than anticipated. :ok:

HGFC1
11th May 2006, 13:10
As I said, we made it and had a great time :ok: It was a shame that there were only five of us there in the end but I'm sure the weather had a lot to do with it. I had been convinced for most of the week that the forecast weather for EGBO would put paid to our chances of setting off. In the end it was a glorious morning and we had a lovely flight over arriving just in time to see the Catalina departing and at 11:15hrsL, well within our planned ETA of 11:00 to 11:30. ATC were very helpful and friendly - they are obviously well used to slightly thick students who can't write very quickly and they have a great sense of humour too :D I am only going to post a few of the photos we took, some were taken for me by my FI and are posted with his permission. He took the one as I turned onto final - probably to stop himself worrying about what I was doing :E Thank you to those who arranged the day it was well worth the trip. We had to leave early as we had a message to say that the weather was deteriorating back at EGBO and we did encounter some drizzle on the way back. All in all it was good experience for me and an enjoyable one too. We will be back sometime. :ok:
1 Crosswind (yes it was for me!) you can just see the Catalina departing.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v604/DX_Wombat/DSCN0367.jpg
2 It's not as high as it looks!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v604/DX_Wombat/DSCN0371.jpg
3 The view from the tower.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v604/DX_Wombat/P1011472.jpg
4 The Beech Staggerwing

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v604/DX_Wombat/DSCN0384.jpg
5 MF in some very select company. :D
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v604/DX_Wombat/P1011495.jpg

alphaalpha
11th May 2006, 15:10
HGFC1:

Glad you enjoyed the day and thanks for sharing the Pix. It is good to see Concorde outside again.

I believe there were about a dozen or so aircraft who were unable to come due to weather -- two fronts, one to the east and one to the west (with heavy rain according to the radar picture) with Duxford in the clear in between the two. Still, that's the way it is with flying. Hope to see the others on another day.

Next Bonus Day is for single engine Pipers on 3rd June, when there's also a mini-display planned. :O

Alan.