PDA

View Full Version : Civillian Coupe

treadigraph
7th Apr 2006, 07:22
Cycling near Biggin Hill yesterday evening and was pleased to see a small, light blue, high-wing vintage taildragger orbiting in the circuit. Just a little bit too far away to see it clearly enough for an i/d, but I could hear what sounded like a nice little radial blatting away. Can anyone confirm that it was the Civillian Coupe - if so it's first time I've ever seen it fly since it arrived at Biggin several decades ago!

Cheers

Treadders

SATCO Biggin
7th Apr 2006, 10:37
Yes it was the Coupe out on its first airing of the season. A sure sign that Spring has arrived. :)

It is actually a frequent flyer at weekends throughout the summer months along with the Messenger and Curtiss Wright Travelair that belong to the same collection.
:ok:

treadigraph
7th Apr 2006, 10:41
Many thanks SATCO, great to see it airborne rather than lurking in the hangar! (or the static at the Air Fair!)

If anyone doesn't know what on earth I'm on about, thanks to the G-INFO site here's a photo of the little dear!

http://www.caa.co.uk/applicationmodules/ginfo/ginfo_photo.aspx?regmark=G-ABNT&imgname=G-ABNT001&imgtype=jpg

MEON VALLEY FLYER
7th Apr 2006, 10:43
Is it a real aeroplane or a modified pram ?

Opssys
7th Apr 2006, 11:11
'A Modified Pram' indeed. A survivor from a bygone era, that from the photo looks as if it has just been delivered 'factory fresh' to it's proud first owner.
DIH

treadigraph
7th Apr 2006, 11:23
Yes, a nice little aeroplane to perambulate in!

Back to SATCO's comments, I remember the Travel Air and the Arrow Sport (is that still there?) being unloaded from a container at Surrey Aviation in about 1978 - never saw those fly either, the Travel Air was wrecked in Yugoslavia a couple of years later, and only fairly recently emerged from a rebuild.

I ride up Layham's Farm Road farily often on spring and summer evenings - hope they will be enlivened a lot more!

Thinks: after the success of the Blackbushe thread, how about a Biggin one? :ok: