PDA

View Full Version : The cost of achieving fATPL?

michalm_poland
3rd Mar 2006, 18:33
Hello, I've got a question about job.
I'm interested in flying, and I'm building home cockpit with my dad, in future i wanna be a pilot, and i have some questions about this:
How much hours i must have flown to get a job in some american airline, and how much cost to flown these flying hours in america?
PS. sorry for my english

mcgoo
4th Mar 2006, 10:36
to get a job with an american airline you must make sure you have the right to live and work in the US first!

Tim_donovan
9th Mar 2006, 09:12
Good for you young man, study hard at school and you may be lucky enough to pick up a cadet scheme.
To learn to fly in England it is about £5000.00 that is just your PPL
Happy Sim Flying Days!!
:ok:

A320rider
9th Mar 2006, 14:29
100'000 euro with a type rating.
what you can do, is sell type ratings on your home build simulator, then charge pilots 30'000 euro.
print them a certificate and tell them it is JAA approved.
when they will discover the scam, change country, and repeat the same thing.contact eaglejet, maybe they will send you some of their students on their waiting lists...

what kind of plane are you building?

Speedbird744
9th Mar 2006, 14:41
A320 Rider,

Your posts are a complete joke, and for every post you write, you lose even more respect from those that read them. You don't have much of a future in this industry so start being positive and try and give some constructive advice.

ultimatepro63
6th Apr 2006, 18:16
You forgot rental of aircraft and landing fees and navigation fees not to mention test fees

edit- nice to see a female wannabe, Makes a change

captwannabe
6th Apr 2006, 18:39
Different schools have different costs. Get in touch with schools like Stapleford Flight Centre, Cabair, Atlantic Flight Training, Oxford Aviation Training, etc. and ask them about the modular course and the costs involved.

captwannabe
6th Apr 2006, 18:45
Forgot to mention that if you are willing to relocate, you could obtain a foreign licence and return to the Europe to convert.

littco
6th Apr 2006, 18:53
To start CPL I think you need 150 hours total time, of which 100 must be PIC, not 150 PIC.

bfato
6th Apr 2006, 19:41
Wot ultimatepro63 said, plus class 1 medical, accomodation (on ATPL theory brush up courses and CPL/IR courses if away from home), ATPL exam fees, personal equipment and CAA licence fees.

And don't forget that the schools' quotes are for minimum required hours. You may want to add 50% to each course as contingency against extra hours and other costs not included in the quotes.

The only other minimmum hour requirement I can think of, apart from for the CPL, is 70 hours PIC for the Multi-Engine.

Good luck with the PPL.

potkettleblack
7th Apr 2006, 08:31
In regards to doing your PPL in the UK let me give you some tips from experience. Find a club that is in tune with your thinking about how long you want the PPL to take. Look them straight in the eyes and get them to agree to a date for completion subject of course to your ability. If they start hedging their bets then I would look elsewhere. I speak from experience on this. Having done 20 hours at a NW London school many moons ago and on my 3rd instructor I was continually going over the same stuff and paying through the teeth for it. I was ready to go solo after about 10-12 hours but had an instructor that would make me fly dual if the weather was marginal for fear of losing cash by cancelling the slot on the day. Added to this were the usual cancellations for weather/hangovers of instructors/aircraft tech/fire engine broken so field not legal etc. I finally gave up and went to Florida and did the whole thing in 3 weeks flying twice a day. Did wonders for my confidence and I ended up consolidating my flying by taking more holidays a short time later and burning 100 hours. Your wish to learn in the UK is commendable but don't let it get in the way of you completing your PPL in a reasonable time frame. Don't be afraid to pull the plug on it and hop on a plane if you get stuffed around by a club either. On returning to the UK with my nice shiny licence I knew I would have to do a checkout and familiarisation. I found a nice friendly club and enrolled on an IMC course. Rather than just paying an instructor for checkouts I had rationalised that I might as well get some proper instruction for my money so the IMC made sense to me. There were added benefits for another jaunt back to the US as it enabled me to hone my instrument and navigation skills as well and give me much greater confidence bimbling around the deserts knowing 100% where I was rather than relying totally on VFR maps and picking obscure landmarks etc.

With the weather changing you have probably chosen a not to bad time of year to be starting although just remember that every other club member will be thinking the same and dusting off their flight bags ready for a bimble around the skies. Book up loads of slots months in advance and if you can try and fly a couple of times a week at a minimum so that you don't find yourself forgetting what you did last lesson and having to reconsolidate. Good luck.

Powerschlumpf
1st May 2006, 07:45
hi there,

i'm from germany and wants to do my atpl...
how many money do i have to pay if i want to do the atpl in usa? not only for the school. for everything (living, etc.) i think many of you did that or wants to do it too.

bye

klaus

d2k73
1st May 2006, 12:37
Roughly €60,000. I can't give you a specific quote as personal prefrences dictate what sort of price you will pay.

Holliwood
6th May 2006, 10:33
yes more or less that price!
Than depends if you wanna do the FAA study there and than the conversion or you wanna get the JAA studies in the US

recently i've been in Florida and the living costs aren't so high...calculate 1000$ per month (but if you spend them all you are CRAZY!)

While if you wanna do the JAA course in the states have a look for example here www.near-as.no (http://www.near-as.no)

Fabio

Sean H
8th May 2006, 22:53
Hi.
I want to do a JAA PPL/CPL/CFI H !
Im thinking od going to HAI,How much Rufly will it cost me?

paco
8th May 2006, 22:58
Why not try ringing HAI?

Phil

Whirlygig
8th May 2006, 23:05
You'd be best off searching the Rotorheads forum for the answer to this! If you are thinking of going to HAI (and there are disadvantages - again, search the forums), then contact them for quotes.

Where you want to train can also depend on where you want to work! You need to look at the employment prospects as well.

Your question is too open and too global for anyone to answer it simply!

In the UK, the minima are 45 hours PPL, then 110 hours hour building (which will include your night rating), 30 hours CPL, then hour building for another 65 hours for the instructor course and then the FI course which is 35 hours (IIRC). If you do this on a Robinson at, say £210 per hour (rough/ruff UK average) it will total £60k. Then there are various fees and exams costs plus ground school.

Cheers

Whirls

Going to have a lie down as I've just scared myself with those figures!

Sean H
8th May 2006, 23:14
Thanks..
So about €80,000. And because im 17 now,will i get an instructor job ahndy enough after training? Whats the CPL pay like per year???????

Whirlygig
8th May 2006, 23:20
Thanks..
will i get an instructor job ahndy enough after training?
depends on which country you want to work but there is not a lot of work around. You might get part time work so make sure you have another career/job to fall back on.

Whats the CPL pay like per year???????
Pretty low! Even if you can find the work. There is very little work for low-hours CPL(H)s. AT 17, you might want to consider joining the Forces!

Sorry to be pessimistic but it's an employer's market at the moment and, until you've got at least 500 hours, you would be very lucky to make a living on it.

Cheers

Whirls

Sean H
8th May 2006, 23:27
As I nearly have my PPL A,mabey I should stick with an Airline career looking at those heli costs!!

Sky Wave
31st Jul 2006, 10:30
I just thought that some of you would be interested to know how much the modular route cost me.

March 2002 - 45hour PPL Course with Solent Flight Southampton £6885
April 2002 - Class 2 Medical £150
Nov 2002 - CAA Licence issue fee £143

I completed my PPL in 45 hours so total was £7178 plus 2 landings at Bristol and 2 landings at Exeter.

Jan 03 - 5 hours Night Training £700
Jan 03 - CAA Licence issue fee £64

Jan 03 - Initial Class 1 Medical £430 (plus travelling costs)

May 03 - Enroled with Bristol Ground School. Module 1 £1100

Oct 03 - IMC Course (Not required, but good to have) £2558
Oct 03 - IMC Test £163
Oct 03 - CAA Licence Issue fee £67

Mar 04 - Module One exam Fees (8 exams) £440
Mar 04 - 2 weeks Bristol B & B (Approx) £350 (plus travel costs)
Mar 04 - 1 week Gatwick B & B (Approx) £150 (plus travel costs)

Mar 04 - Bristol Module 2 £800

May 04 – Multi Engine Rating & Test, Professional Air Training, Bournemouth £2885
May 04 – CAA Licence issue £70

Oct 04 - Module Two exam Fees (6 exams) £330
Oct 04 - 2 weeks Bristol B & B (Approx) £350 (plus travel costs)
Oct 04 - 1 week Gatwick B & B (Approx) £150 (plus travel costs)

Dec 04 – Started Instrument Rating 55hr course, Professional Air Training, Bournemouth

Jan 05 – Class 1 Medical Renewal £70

Jan 05 – Passed Instrument Rating with 56 hours training plus 2 tests, £15515
Jan 05 – CAA Test Fee £1063 (Partialled on first attempt)
Jan 05 – Started CPL 15 hour course (Multi Engine), PAT, Bournemouth

Feb 05 – Passed CPL with 15 hours training plus 2 tests, £5579
Feb 05 - CAA Test Fee £1063 (Partialled on first attempt)
Mar 05 – CAA Licence Issue - £194

May 05 – MEP Renewal £336

Jun 05 – MCC with Jetlinx on the A320 £3500

Jan 06 – IR Renewal, PAT, Bournemouth £820
Jan 06 – Class 1 Medical Renewal £104

Apr 06 – CTC Stage 2 £164

May 06 – MEP Renewal, PAT, Bournemouth £603

Jun 06 – CTC Stage 4 (AQC Course) £6691

Now swimming in CTC's Holding Pool, Total Cost of Training is £53489. but……………..
That figure is only for the training.

Hour building / Pleasure flying is:

PA28, Warrior, Arrow and Archer hire from passing my PPL to date is £12599
BE76 hire from passing my MEP to date is £2830

Total Rental £15429

So the total cost of achieving fATPL, with 245 hours was £68918.

A lot of the rental figure was shared by the people I took with me. At a guess I would think I probably got back about £5000 by sharing rental costs.

I didn’t choose the cheapest way, there are ways that this figure could have been reduced.

1) No requirement to do an IMC (However it was good preparation for the IR and probably helped me pass the test with the minimal IR training hours)
2) No requirement to renew class 1 medical until you need it for a job
3) Didn’t need to do an MCC because the CTC course covers that requirement (However would I have passed the CTC course without the 20hours and superb training I received with Jetlinx??)
4) The CPL could have been done in a Single Engine Aircraft.
5) I could have done the hour building in the states (That would have meant time off work, air fares and no friends to share the cost)
6) The MEP could have been done as part of the IR

It’s worth looking at these prices and comparing them to the figures that people are quoting for taking the modular route.

Of course if you were to go the integrated route with a school that has an arrangement with an airline and you meet the required standard you are home and dry for a similar sum of money.

If however, you take the integrated route and do not go straight into an airline job you will still have to pay for renewals, CTC (If that’s the way you wish to go) and flying hours to keep yourself marketable.

Food for thought

SW

newbie008
31st Jul 2006, 10:48
good post - looked at PAT's website and they seem quite expensive. Which airline are you going with or do you not know yet??

Sky Wave
31st Jul 2006, 20:54

I didn't really feel that PAT were that expensive. In any case you should look at the positive comments they get from previous students http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=233912

Not assigned an airline yet and no idea when I'll be leaving the pool.

SW

sky_high
31st Jul 2006, 21:37
Thanks for the cost breakdown, an enlightening summary. Appreciate that corners can be cut, PAT may not be the cheapest - but have an excellent reputation, built on years of experience. Good luck with the pool!

SkyHigh

newbie008
1st Aug 2006, 10:32
I still find it hard to see people doing a ppl in a month! Out of interest how did you afford it all? Hour building really worries me as I dnt really want to go abroad

Lucifer
1st Aug 2006, 10:40
It doesn't look as though he did the PPL in a month?

Interesting post.

Sky Wave
1st Aug 2006, 13:42
I started my PPL in March 02 and completed it in November 02. I was flying once or twice a week depending on work and the weather.

How did I afford it? Let's just say I had a well paid job, and I'm taking a significant pay cut by becoming an FO :eek:

Luckily I've sent Mrs Sky Wave out to work whilst I lounge around waiting for CTC to call me :ok:

potkettleblack
1st Aug 2006, 14:12
Great post Skywave. Interestingly enough I am about to start with PAT in the next few months and we seem to have taken reasonably similar paths so far with things like the IMC rating etc.

Fortunately I am debt free which I guess is why I have been pretty poor at keeping track of the expenses along the way. What struck me was just how much cash I would have spent when it is all done. Like you say this will exclude living expenses, cost of flying kit (must be thousands in itself) and most importantly loss of income whilst I have been studying.

Mercenary Pilot
1st Aug 2006, 14:21
Great post Sky Wave and good luck with the job...CTC cadets dont swim for long before getting pulled out, dried off and thrown into the RHS of an airliner. :ok:

Strepsils
1st Aug 2006, 16:50
Top marks for honesty! A refreshing change from the usual "Go modular, you'll get the same licence as integrated but you'll have £30k to spend on a type rating" nonsense that we usually get on here.

Best of luck for whatever's next!:ok:

newbie008
1st Aug 2006, 17:51
sorry my mistake! Good luck, wish i was you! Dread to think what you were being paid previously!!what were you doing out of interest, as im near you and there arent that many well paid jobs in this area

scroggs
2nd Aug 2006, 08:38
Skywave, thank you for that excellent post. To fill in the gaps, what would you assess as your accommodation and other incidental costs during your training? If, as I assume, you lived at home during this training, perhaps you can give some kind of estimate of the kind of costs some of our wannabes would incur.

The reason I ask is that, in some of the integrated or structured modular schools, accommodation is part of the price (yes, I know it's not at Oxford!), so it's reasonable to include it when making a comparison.

Scroggs

Sky Wave
2nd Aug 2006, 14:18

what were you doing out of interest, as im near you and there arent that many well paid jobs in this area
:= That would be telling. Let’s just say I’ve been doing this job ever since I left school and I’m now 31. It was also very rare that I ever worked anywhere near home.:{

Scroggs

There were very few additional costs in my case because I only live 10 minutes away from Bournemouth airport.

I’ve listed the times during my training that accommodation was needed:-

Bristol Groundschool Module 1 – 12 Nights (approx figure included above)
Gatwick Module 1 Exams – 4 Nights (approx figure included above)
Bristol Groundschool Module 2 – 12 Nights (approx figure included above)
Gatwick Module 2 Exams – 4 Nights (approx figure included above)
Jetlinx MCC – 1 Night in a Gloucester hotel during the Groundschool weekend.(£50)
CTC Stage 3 – 1 Night at a local hotel prior to my interview (£50) - (Even though I’m only 30 mins away, it wasn’t worth the risk)
CTC Stage 4 – 20 Nights (Included in the cost that I’ve given for CTC)

I was very fortunate with the weather and training slots and my CPL/IR took about 9 weeks. I would strongly suggest that anyone budgeting for accommodation during their CPL/IR allow for 12 weeks.

All of the equipment needed to do my PPL was included in the cost of the course. These items were:-

Books for the PPL ground exams
A Chart
A Knee Board
A CRP-1 Computer (you’ll need CRP-5 for ATPL studies)
Protractor
Rule
Permanent Marker Pens
Audio Tape for learning RT
Flight Bag
Fuel Drainer
Headphones
Logbook

Other expenses include:

Charts £14 per year
Additional headphones £400 (The set that I got as a PPL were very basic)
CRP-5 Computer £72

I can’t think of any other necessary expenses, except for petrol/travelling expense.

The final consideration is loss of earnings. I already had a mortgage at the point I decided to start my training so I had to take the distance learning option to enable me to continue paying the mortgage and keep up the flying training.

Hope this helps.

SW

Looooong haul
2nd Aug 2006, 14:58
Skywave

If i didnt know better I thought you were my wife, another great bookkeeper :D

Great post and agree that it puts the modular or not discussion in a different perspective :)

potkettleblack
2nd Aug 2006, 15:53
Scroggs et al,

I am currently looking at accomodation in Bournemouth as I will be starting my CPL/IR in the next couple of months. There are various options available from basic B&B's, guesthouses, small/big hotels and living with families. If you leave it to the last minute then you might be able to swing a house share through something like the Gumtree website.

After looking at all of the above I am going for a room in a private house with a nice old duck and I understand a couple of other wannabees occupy the other rooms so hopefully I will have no shortage of drinking buddys. Price is £105 per week which includes all your meals. Nothing else to pay her and you get the full run of the place. The multi/CPL/IR will take me about 3 months as a cautious estimate so it will be 3 months of that plus the other indicidentals that crop up eg: beer money, meals out etc when you get cabin fever. This type of arrangement depends a lot on timing and being in the right place at the right time. You wouldn't expect to get something as cheap as this for attending say a 2 week brush up course. For that I know guys are getting rates of about £20-25 a night B&B.

scroggs
2nd Aug 2006, 16:21
Yes, thank you Pot. I'm not looking for accommodation! Virgin pays my mortgage quite adequately already, thanks. What I was looking for was an estimate of accommodation costs to go along with Sky Wave's course costs to complete the comparison data he's trying to provide. As some integrated or structured modular courses include accommodation, it's valid to include accommodation in a comparison of costs.

Scroggs

potkettleblack
2nd Aug 2006, 17:20
Err, I realise that and it was only intended to help you and the other wannabees looking in to fill in the blanks. You did ask the question after all.

scroggs
2nd Aug 2006, 19:26
Yes, alright then (though I'm not a wannabe!). So what we have is a ballpark £105 per week for accommodation while training. Say, £2700 for 6 months (over a total of 18 or so) to add to Sky Wave's figures.

Scroggs

Penworth
3rd Aug 2006, 17:29
Bear in mind when doing a cost comparison that, as Skywave said himself, he could have done it cheaper in places. I followed a similar path to skywave myself including going through the CTC scheme and I reckon the total cost of training was just over £36000, including all travel and accommodation costs directly related to my training. So the possibility is still there to obtain the licence and start flying commercially without getting buried in debt.

PW

Mooney12
3rd Aug 2006, 18:08
You could go modular for a lot cheaper than the above though...hour building abroad etc..

£6885 for a ppl! rip-off

Doesn't seem particularly representative of the modular route to me

Sky Wave
3rd Aug 2006, 18:16
Penworth

I'm very surprised you managed to do it that cheaply. When you say your training cost was just over £36000 does that mean you haven't included a figure for hour building?

If I hadn't of done an MCC I would have saved £3500. If I'd applied to CTC as soon as I passed my CPL/IR I could have saved on my MEP and IR renewals approx £1500. Not doing an IMC would have saved a further £2800. That would bring my training costs down from £53489 to £45689. But that’s still £10k more than you.

Did you do your training in the UK?

I think there are plenty of people who would love to have some more details of where you trained and what is included in your figures

Mooney

The £6885 included absolutely everything except the cross country landing fees. That includes all the equipment I've listed above, exam fees the lot. I was much happier to do that than go with other companies that had loads of hidden extras.

Cheers

SW

A251
3rd Aug 2006, 18:56
i don't get involved in these discussions normally but you appear to have done a very similar route to myself, ppl to ctc inc imc and mcc/joc on top. yet my figure is more around £52-53K inc interest. but to be fair i haven't had to renew anythign but my medical,

a modular course is what you set out to make it, i have a friend who worked the whole way through, and kept looking for cheapest prices. took him 4 years but his total debt was around £30k and others who are in the 100's, whereas an intergrated course is very set in its ways and ideally what you see advertised is what you pay but it may go horribly wrong just like it can in a modular route,a spar problem springs to mind. if i had my time again i'd go to CTC.But i know guys that went to oxford, modular and integrated, some have jobs others don't . i think theres a bit of luck involved at the end of the day, you hear it said all the time "Right person,Right place,Right time"

i'm not saying one route is better then the other, but you do need to look at both routes and see which route match's your situation, you can get mortgages to match your lifestyle, well you can almost do the same with your training now.

Good Luck

a251:ok:

Craggenmore
3rd Aug 2006, 19:35
Skywave,

You have too much time on your hands to remember and write so much in that detail ;)

Hopefully not too long a wait for you now. Keep me posted Pal... :}

All the best!

Craggs

MrHorgy
3rd Aug 2006, 20:38
For those who might be interested, i'm training at present, and my expenditure thus far has been:
PPL - Done in bits at EFG at Biggin Hill, Multiflight in Leeds and finally finished in the states at OBA. Total cost for flying was:
---------------------------------
EFG - £1000 (which included my PPL starter package of computer, charts, books, kneeboard, etc)
Multiflight - £700 (at this point LBA decided to turf up rwy 27/09 so I went to OBA)
OBA - £2254 in flying training. Flight with BA was £340 to MCO, then living expenses for the three weeks were roughly £150.
License issue was then £220 ish (I think - which included the night rating)
Class II Medical - £109
------------
Sub Total - £4773
Class I Medical - £400
Bristol ATPL Module 1 - £1100
CRP-5 £65
-------
Subtotal to date - £6338
Compared to Skywave's i've saved about £3000 so far from his total of £9472 at the same point I was. That's not to say I did mine a better way, it's another way of looking at it.
Horgy

BillieBob
3rd Aug 2006, 21:22
MrHorgy, A251, etc. - Don't forget that Skywave is currently in the CTC holding pool, which is tantamount to getting onto the flight deck (something in the region of 85-90% chance of a job as I recall). Any comparisons should, therefore, be made with that in mind. The fact that you, Mr Horgy, have, so far, spent £3000 less is totally irrelevant unless and until you are in the same point in the job market.

Sky Wave
3rd Aug 2006, 22:26
Craggs

You have too much time on your hands to remember and write so much in that detail

Don't I know it. I've even got to the bottom of the DIY list that Mrs Sky Wave has given me to do.:bored: Hopefully there’s only a few more weeks of thumb twiddling.

Good luck with the Base Check:ok:

BillieBob

Hopefully it's better than 90%. Just waiting for a type rating start date.:ugh:

I think one thing to bear in mind when comparing PPL prices is the airfield you train out of. My local airfields are Bournemouth and Southampton and being large airfields with full ATC, Navigation and Night facilities they charge more in landing fees and hence the price of a PPL package is greater. I could have done it cheaper if I'd of travelled to Old Sarum or Compton Abbas but the cost of the travelling would have probably outweighed the cheaper course price, and besides it’s nice learning to fly next to the big boys. I think anyone doing their PPL in between a full time job will probably end up picking from the best schools at their local airfield rather than travelling further a field.

SW

Penworth
4th Aug 2006, 18:18
Skywave, don't have all the details to hand, but the main difference I can see between our routes was I did the PPL in the USA while I was out there studying ($60 per hour including instructor). My hourbuilding was in a company aircraft (£66ph). I also did the CPL in Florida which only cost about £3500. Also, managed to avoid a retake of the CPL, and my MCC only cost £2000. Between them, these differences probably account for the £10k difference. Good luck with the TR.

Billiebob, don't know if your comment was directed at me as well, but have been in and out of the CTC holding pool so pretty much at the same place as skywave.

Cheers

PW

XL319
3rd Nov 2006, 16:13
Well today i was quoted £6500 for a CPL & MEP course :eek: I nearly fell through the floor considering i've had quotes in the UK of £5400. Anyone else had any heart stoppers like that?

badboy raggamuffin
4th Nov 2006, 19:13
XL319, thought you were dead set on going to the hallowed OAT?
Now it seems like ur going modular, why the sudden change of heart?

dom462
6th Nov 2006, 12:12
Hi, I'm looking at starting my modular training fairly soon. At the moment I'm thinking of starting in January and I am preparing a budget.

My current situation is that I am 24 years old, I have A-levels in Maths Physics and Computing and a bachelor's degree and master's degree in economics (I've decided not to go into a business/finance job because of lack of enthusiasm). I have wanted to be an airline pilot for as long as i can remember.

This is my budget:

JAA Class 1 Medical £450
JAA PPL @ OFT £3700
Night Rating @ OFT £300
ATPL @ Bristol £1900
ATPL test fees £840
Hour Building @ OFT £4500
CPL (ME) @ OFT £3300
Accomodation @ OFT for Hours and CPL $800
IR + MCC @ UK flight school (not sure which one yet) £13500
Flights to USA £500
Accomodation in the UK @ Bristol and ATPL test centre £500

Total cost: £30290

I can self fund up until after my ATPL exams, after this I'm thinking of getting a personal loan to complete my training and then getting a temporary full time job to start meeting the loan repayments. I will then fight hard to get a position with an airline.
My parents have said they will loan me the money for type rating after an offer of employment from an airline.

Are there any costs above that I have not considered?
What do you think of my plan, or am I committing financial suicide?

Blueskyrich
9th Nov 2006, 12:04
Hello everyone,

By the New Year, I hope (and pray) that all 14 ATPL theory credits will be in the bag.

Next up, I've got to hour-build, then complete the M/E CPL, IR and then the MCC.

Sitting down last night, I've worked out that at current pricing, it's going to cost £24,000 to finish off. Certainly not small change.

The above figure is based on hour-building in the US, then completing the rest at a school over here (Wolverhampton Flight Centre). I've also tried to take into account the money that'll be demanded by every wannabe's friend, the CAA.

Now, £24,000 is an awful lot of money and I'm obviously eager to keep costs down as much as possible.

Realistically, do any of you have any experience or advice on possible ways of keeping costs down (or reduce them!) in terms of the route followed post-theory examination and where the flying could be done?

Thanks a million,
Blueskyrich

dom462
9th Nov 2006, 12:31
You could do your CPL in florida after your hour building. OFT do it at a good price.

Have you thought about spain for your IR?

http://www.aerodynamics-malaga.com/

or

http://www.aerofanfto.com/ & http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=215585

There are other good ones as well.

I haven't been to these but I'm considering them.

Also, try and get on the CTC ATP course before doing your MCC. You can still apply to airlines without it as you meet the minimum qualifications, just say you are about to do it on your cover letter or application.

davey147
11th Nov 2006, 18:24
I may have miss understood the costs here, but I have costed things up and i can get a ME CPL / ME IR / MMC for £12,000 by going to the USA and Spain.

Add £2,500 for the ATPL, and maybe around £3,000 for the hour building.

Thats around £17,000 for doing it modular, all rough figures and dont include accomodation (shouldnt be much 4 months max)

Definately can be done for less than £20,000.

I would find it really hard to spend £60k going down the modular route, unless I was to do all the training in the UK, which I would never do.

mcgoo
11th Nov 2006, 18:32
Accomodation in the UK @ Bristol and ATPL test centre £500

Where are you staying, in a tent?, if you manage to get 4 weeks accommodation in Bristol and then about 7 nights in a hotel for the exams for 500 pound your doing extremely well!

no sponsor
12th Nov 2006, 08:41
I am impressed that people have completed their training for a figure of around GBP35K. Although I did not keep a full record of my training, I've estimated that I spent around GBP55k.

If I had my time again, I would definitely do my CPL in the US as it gives you very little value and is a very out-dated course. In addition, doing the CPL in the UK is exactly how it was when I did my PPL: the number of days lost to bad weather is no different. And if your luck is like mine, you will have a prolonged period of time drinking tea and wishing you had done it in the US. One chap at my school in the UK had to wait 3 weeks for the right weather just to sit his flight exam. This was on top of a lengthy delay in completing his course. My own course overran by three weeks. So that was 15 days extra in the B&B, plus all that additional traveling to and from my home each weekend to the school, only to jump in the car on the Friday evening after a week of no flying.

Do your IR in the UK. No question.

As for budgets, always remember things such as costs of traveling to the airfields, taxis from airports when going abroad, and the fact that if you are going away for long periods of time, it is unreasonable to think that you will sit in your motel not spending any money when not flying. You will need some money for 'entertainment' and unforeseen activities.

I always added a 10% figure to my budgets as a minimum, since things are always more expensive than you think they will be. Plus, most will go over by 3-5 hrs on their IR, and many get partials, which requires additional funding. The last thing you want to worry about is finances when you are already under pressure in your IR.

wbryce
28th Feb 2007, 15:43
Hello Nick,
Firstly have a look at this thread - http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=131649
Its very hard to explain in full detail all the routes and options available to you. The best way is to start reading about all the routes then ask questions.

Some key notes to help: Modular is roughly 20k cheaper than Integrated (your 60k figure sounds integrated). If you train in the USA (FAA) you need to convert your license to JAA (European), costs roughly 15k conversion charges and you need to do all the ATPL groundschool here in the UK (6-7 months), 14 exams.

Doing a modular training route - theres nothing stopping you paying as go while holding a job so you limit your exposure to debt via loans.

wire12
9th May 2007, 20:04
I am living in Ireland and I want to get my ppl and then go on and fly commercially. The minimum price list in The Pilot Training College of Ireland is €63500. I was at the open day and they said it will take every pilot around €100,000 to finish.

My question is this, based on the price list below could you compare a rough estimate on how much extra you would have to add in the different areas of the course to make up the 100,000 from €63500.

PPL = €11565

Hours Building = €10400

ATPL Theoretical Studies = €2500

Multi Engine Rating = €5745

CPL = 9400

Multi Engine Instrument Rating = €19495

Multi Crew Cooperation Course = €4800

Total Price = €63905

wire12
9th May 2007, 20:30
yeah your right there is a big difference

chlong
10th May 2007, 10:47
keith to , you are going in the right direction. aviation training in ireland is twice the price of the states or elsewhere in europe. ripoff republic ( though its not totally the flight schools fault ).:ugh:

expedite08
10th May 2007, 13:08
A lot of people have little idea as to the hidden costs of the training. Certainly totally ignore 1900 for gropund school. Try 3 grand by the time you have booked exams, accomodation, meals etc. Fortunatly I have only paid about 260 pounds for all of my ground studies due to using resettlement fees from the Forces. Doing the hour building as I go minimising the blow on that front. I will be only requiring a 20k loan to complete my CPL/IR nad MCC!

radicalrabit
12th Dec 2007, 15:01
I hope someone on here will answer this without getting into a huge debate, I want to train specifically to fly a King Air B200 for a person that I know. I want to do it as a CPL not a PPL and I want to do the training in one go from start of ppl to finishing as cpl, just doing nothing but training 'till Its done. I dont want to fly for an airline just want to be a good pilot and be safe with my family and friends in anything the weather throws at me. What will it cost and where can I do it? (Previous experience so far I have 20 odd hours spread over as many years having had the privilage of handling 9 different aircraft including Chipmunk Navajo Cheiftain and a Jet Provost). Ideas anyone?

Currymonster
12th Dec 2007, 15:12
Try Bristol Flight Centre, I am sure they do a King Air rating.. Dont quote me on it though