PDA

View Full Version : WOW! i have just seen a transporter!

bigflesh2005
6th Apr 2006, 14:29
please excuse my spellings. i am trying the spellcheck. at approx 310pm i was looking up into the air in my home which is in the south og sheffield and guess what i saw? well. i got my binocs out and focussed on a aeroplane. it was only a airbus super transporter! i was so exited! at first i thought it was a superguppy plane but it wasnt because it had bigger engines and the craft was in a white color which makes me think it was a super transprter plane did anyone else see it or was it just me as i only court a glimpse of it throughout the break in the cloud cover here. it was coming from the west and gong into the east but it was making a slight right turn - i think to avoid a buildup of cloud and it seemed to be underneath some high hup cloud as i could seeing it was clearly visibile for example i could see a blue tail does anyone know where it was coming from and coming too will it be coming from island and going to tooloose? it was about 60,000foot high as it had contrains on if that helps would be appreciated if you can get back to me as i am really pleased about seeing this in south sheffield. i could even see it banking!

Getoutofmygalley
6th Apr 2006, 16:24
It wouldn't be at 60,000 feet, most aircraft fly in the region of 38 - 40,000 feet. I believe that Concord(e) was the only regular aircraft to fly at the flight level you are talking of.

But I can't say anything else because I just serve tea & coffee :}

bigflesh2005
6th Apr 2006, 18:32
It wouldn't be at 60,000 feet, most aircraft fly in the region of 38 - 40,000 feet. I believe that Concord(e) was the only regular aircraft to fly at the flight level you are talking of.
But I can't say anything else because I just serve tea & coffee :}

oh wow! are you a stewerdes? i would like to be one if i carnt get into atc or pilotin i would very much enjoy going on the plane all the time to places of interest are you sure i did not realise it was a bit shorter than i firt fought. you know though as you are crew. i am sure it was a transport plane og airbus industiry do they have stewerdes on them or is it wings and bodys? thank you for responding. which airline are you in as i want some advise on airplanes.

Rainboe
6th Apr 2006, 18:47
Hiya bigflesh, was this the beastie you saw?:
http://www.airliners.net/open.file/1025320/M/

If it was, I think it transports Airbus A300 parts around Europe. I think it takes wings from near Manchester (I think it's Brough) to Hamburg where the Germans build other bits and eventually the whole thing gets erected in Toulouse. Terribly complicated, but it gives the countries who financed the construction a part in it. I've never seen one of these myself- i used to see the Boeing Stratocruiser with a fat fuselage they used long ago. If over Sheffield, it would be fairly low- i don't think these guppies fly very high anyway. 60,000' is about 10+ miles high, and only Concorde and the SR71 Blackbird (and other military fighters) go that high (that we know about). Commercial jets cruise about 31,000'-39,000' usually, but it can take 60-100 miles to climb up there (and get down again).

Watch out for the high things with a delta wing. I think it's called the Aurora and it's still top secret! What you need is some binoculars, just cheap ones will do, not too strong or you'll never be able to find the aeroplanes. Have you got some?

Phileas Fogg
6th Apr 2006, 20:05
Rainboe,
No, the transporter is an A300 but they don't make A300's any longer, except for a few A300-600 freighters made up of left over parts, thus it would hardly be likely to be carrying A300 parts around.
More likely aircraft parts of types they currently make, namely A320 (family), A330, A340 & A380.

AlphaWhiskyRomeo
6th Apr 2006, 20:08
Rainboe,
No, the transporter is an A300 but they don't make A300's any longer, except for a few A300-600 freighters made up of left over parts, thus it would hardly be likely to be carrying A300 parts around.
More likely aircraft parts of types they currently make, namely A320 (family), A330, A340 & A380.

It flies wings produced at the Airbus Factory at Broughton near Chester from Hawarden Airfield to Hamburg/Toulouse.

As far as I know it does not transport the A380 wings as they are far too big and have to be transported by barge instead.

Phileas Fogg
6th Apr 2006, 20:09
And Rainboe.
The U2 used to fly extemely high but that weren't a fighter and nor is/was the SR71, unarmed spy planes! Who are they going to fight with at 60,000 feet, I guess Concorde :))
P.S. So that's why they retired Concorde, too many fighters chasing it!

perkin
6th Apr 2006, 22:12
It flies wings produced at the Airbus Factory at Broughton near Chester from Hawarden Airfield to Hamburg/Toulouse.

As far as I know it does not transport the A380 wings as they are far too big and have to be transported by barge instead.

Correct, the A380 wings are road transported to Mostyn docks on the Dee estuary and from there shipped to France...They're too big even for the Beluga!

If anyone is interested in seeing the Belugas they are at Broughton (Hawarden Airport) most days I think (easy access from A55), and hop over to Liverpool to refuel as the runway at Broughton is too short for take off on a full fuel load, so I'm told... :)

chiglet
6th Apr 2006, 22:50
Phileas,
As we all know, the SR71 [High Altitude Recconasance Aircraft] was developed from the A11/A12 Fighter developement prototype.
At that time, the USA were developing/had in service, the B58 Hustler, Mach2 at 60,000.....B70 Valkerie, Mach3 at 80,000
The USSR, had the Bounder,Blinder,Beauty,Backfire bombers,ALL High speed/High altitude in developement/in production.
Don't forget the Vulcan and Victor bombers, they reularily flew at 45-50,000, as did thr Canberra PR9
bf2005,
The "Beluga" was a "New Build" airframe designed and manufactured to replace the old "Super Guppy" aircraft
watp,iktch

Rainboe
6th Apr 2006, 23:10
Alright! Alright! Alright! So I got about one fact in 10 right! The thought was there even if the nitty gritty facts weren't quite 100% right (or 10% right). I was trying to give bigboy enough to keep him going.

Anyway, by the sound of it, BAe won't be in the Airbus camp much longer so I suppose all that will push off abroad. What are they up to or is this a shareholder bonus?

Bigboy- have you taken all this in? There will be questions later!

parabellum
7th Apr 2006, 06:05
[IMG]http://i2.tinypic.com/t6upaw.jpg[/I

bigflesh2005
7th Apr 2006, 08:51
having being seeing on the airliners website i can be confirmed it was i beluga that i saw. ok it was not as hi as i fought it was but it was about 30,000 feet as it had contrains coming out of the back. so in about 50 miles from chester to south og sheffield it was comin to crusing hight. thank everyone on og you for being so responsive i have got binculers and they are 16x50 ones so no bad for spotting hi up aeroplane are there any stronger ones? does that top secret aero plane fly over south sheffield as i would like verty much to spot that in my binculers !

Mogget
7th Apr 2006, 09:20
does that top secret aero plane fly over south sheffield as i would like verty much to spot that in my binculers !

Wouldn't we all ! :ok:

BRISTOLRE
7th Apr 2006, 10:02
A300-600F are STILL in production but the production line will wind down shortly. They are building "newbuild" freighters for people like UPS and DHL.
The orders have ceased and they are finishing the production.

spekesoftly
7th Apr 2006, 10:03
If anyone is interested in seeing the Belugas they are at Broughton (Hawarden Airport) most days I think (easy access from A55), and hop over to Liverpool to refuel as the runway at Broughton is too short for take off on a full fuel load, so I'm told... :)

Just a small correction - as a matter of routine the Belugas fly direct from Hawarden, without refuelling at Liverpool.

(In years gone by, it was not unusual for Airbus wings to be transported by road to either Liverpool or Manchester, and then flown out by Guppy, but that's now history.)

Rainboe
7th Apr 2006, 10:29
Bigflesh, those binoculars are the strongest you want or you will not be able to find aeroplanes in your field of view. They must jump around something horrible in those as it is. They would be good to use at night for star gazing too.

We all want to know what the Americans have now! As soon as they let you know what the latest secret aeroplane they have is, it means there is something else we don't know about. When we learnt about the U2 and the SR71, they had To Secret F117s and B2 (flying wing) bombers. Now we know all about those, it means there's more stuff we don't know about. There have been rumours the Aurora has been spotted on UK deployments. You be the Sheffied observer!

parabellum
7th Apr 2006, 11:04
Bigflesh You say you are using a spell checker!? No one could be as bad as you without being a big, big, Wind Up!!! but it has been good fun. Well either it's a wind up or you are not yet tall enough to reach the keyboard!;)

Nice one.

SNAFU.
7th Apr 2006, 12:11
It is a wind up! Look at the guys earlier posts, no problems with spelling then. It is funny nevertheless.:ok:

bigflesh2005
7th Apr 2006, 14:49
no i am no t winding anyboy up. just simply asking a question ok i may not be as old as you but i am also intrested in aeoplanes as much as you so at leest we share the same intrests i find using the spelling check a bit boring as i want to get out the threads quickly i also asked my dad to check the other one but he int allways round. i have to hold my binculers very still becorse they are big and heavy and the aeroplanes can sometimes shake round a bit in the viewfinder but they are ok for spotting high up planes with contrains which is why i mainly use them it would be really good if they made them so that you can see the colors of the planes becorus somtimes its difficult to make out the airline here in south sheffield

forget
7th Apr 2006, 15:03
bigflesh 2005 - Stop being such a prize prat! An intelligible post of yours from a year ago is below. If, in the meantime, you've suffered serious mental degeneration - then I apologise. If not, bugger off.

"I was talking to someone on the inside about it today and it was a CVT 'frame and, once finished in the circuit, duly departed south to return there (presumably to rejoin the airways at TNT or similar). Not sure when the based aircraft will be arriving permanently though."

Does anyone happen to know if a/c will join airways at TNT??? I was under the assumption that they would not join at TNT,more like Upton or POL.

Rainboe
7th Apr 2006, 16:06
Bigflesh- that last post made me look at your other posts. How did you post this:
JimmyTAP

Why was it circling first though..? very odd.. thank you for filling me in anyway Jimmy and thanks to all of you who tried your best to "not tell me"... the truth will out!

My request to Manchester ATC was serious, although I doubt it will be upheld. Sometimes, just sometimes (especially in the summer at 2am onwards) I get westbound arrivals doing a direct to MCR and I see them coming over south sheffield desending through fl50 for 40, usually in a line with Eckington, Norton, Edale, Castleton for an 8 mile 24R/L arrival. But never at other times.

Still keen to know why the Nimmy was doing circuits over my head for 15 minutes? was it waiting to transit through SHEFFIELD CITY AIRPORT airspace as it was only at 3000ft....and MCR ATZ, send some more 20 miles south of Upton - for me - for a laugh. Go on as I will see from my living room north facing windows in my house. If its getting a bit dark I will see the lights on the aerocrafts flashing, and that will be simply brilliant for me.

WIWON we went to some trouble NOT to tell everybody what we were doing, so who is Bigflesh that he expects to be told?

Who is WIWON - has his post been removed as it shed further light on the Nimrod that was circling above my head?..... I just wanna know because I share a joint facination in aerocraft. I am a harmless plane lover thats all. PLEASE HELP me.
Nice one and thank you. It went northbound at 5.15pm after circling for 15 mins. Deffo looked like a Nimrod due to the wing thingies. It must have turned left westbound shortly after passing directly over the city centre at 3000ft, or gone up to Upton.

Nice one but would love to know why it was in the "random hold" nowhere near a VOR or NDB. Do you think it came from Waddington?
......when your current posts are different? Is this some idea of a making fools of people or has your punctuation deteriorated that much?

perkin
7th Apr 2006, 16:10
Just a small correction - as a matter of routine the Belugas fly direct from Hawarden, without refuelling at Liverpool.

(In years gone by, it was not unusual for Airbus wings to be transported by road to either Liverpool or Manchester, and then flown out by Guppy, but that's now history.)

I stand corrected! Its still looks a hell of a short runway for an A-300 to take off from..how heavily laden is it usually?

Inverted81
7th Apr 2006, 17:57
i'm glad it wasn't just me who thought something was up with those posts..

to give the guy benefit of doubt, maybe just using his fathers login perhaps??? :rolleyes: :confused:

Rainboe
7th Apr 2006, 18:02
If Bigflesh is truly dyslexic, that's fine- nobody would have any complaint, but unfortunately a lot of people seem to derive some sort of pleasure from trying to 'make fun' of people on the net. An explanation would be appreciated of why Bigflesh's English has changed so much since last May. As long as it is genuine, nobody would mind posting here. So Bigflesh.....your audience awaits........

spekesoftly
7th Apr 2006, 18:19
I stand corrected! Its still looks a hell of a short runway for an A-300 to take off from..how heavily laden is it usually?

Sorry, I don't know the figures. Hawarden's runway 23/05 was lengthened, some years ago, to enable direct Beluga flights.

bigflesh2005
7th Apr 2006, 18:25
i am sorry as i share my dads username. i will come back on a different username.

Jakes Dad - Hi guys, sorry about this. My lad has indeed been using my username. I'll look at getting him sorted with another, however, I have to say - I am not too happy with the hard time he has seemed to have got from some of you guys. He's only 14. Whilst I appreciate this is a professional forum, I'd expect a good degree of understanding to all people, age and disabilities respected. My apologies again. Great forum though. Hope this clears things up.

Dan

PPRuNe Pop
7th Apr 2006, 18:29
We don't have the time or the inclination to allow people to take good meaning folk on PPRuNe for fools. Well I don't, and I don't much care who the username belongs too. It is now banned - and the thread is closed.

PPP