PDA

View Full Version : GA-CASA Meeting at BK

R555C
6th Apr 2006, 13:30
Just wondeing what occured at the meeting between the GA industry and CASA at bankstown today? I beleive the big wigs from CASA were there! any good news? Lets all hope so!

Lodown
6th Apr 2006, 14:57
Let me guess...

1. The meeting was regarded as a success in bringing together CASA administration with the GA industry. CASA was pleased with the flow of ideas and the opportunity to receive suggestions from all attendees. CASA looks forward to making swift changes to better impact the continued growth within the aviation industry.

2. In determining action items with a view to targetting the low hanging fruit, several working groups will be initiated with established timelines and reporting to XXXX (insert name) with the intention of identifying and establishing action items.

3. Intentions after this remain intentionally vague, but hinge on the outcome of 2. above.

In layman's terms, the meeting will result in some paperwork and a few weeks worth of work for someone in Canberra. A working group will be established. A weekly meeting will be held to allocate tasks and appraise progress. An expedited report will be completed within 12 months identifying the issues, action items and recommending avenues of progress.

The paperwork will be shuffled here and there and skate over a few desks. Everyone will nod their heads in agreement at the wonderful observations, marvellous editing and professional looking report. An excellent outcome worthy of praise from the GA industry!

Many people will be in full agreement with the conclusions, but left wondering why something as plain as the nose on your face needed a meeting, a 50 page report and supporting charts and figures. When the report finally reaches the desk of someone who can make a difference, he/she'll look at it and observe that there is nothing new in there and no opportunity for career progression. Just the same GA industry people making the same GA industry comments and he/she'll promptly prioritise the document to the side where eventually it will make its way to the file drawer containing a chronological biannual history of GA industry concerns and identified administration action items from the last 60 years. Sigh.

apache
6th Apr 2006, 22:30
you forgot to add that in 3 weeks, the GA representatives will be sent a bill from CASA for their time.

Let's see, if a data entry persons time is worth $130 per hour, how much will they charge for the "Bigwigs" ?
mind you, a data entry clerk is probably more productive!

7th Apr 2006, 00:01
There been CASA/Industry meetings held every 3 months at AF for at least the last 30 years.
The BOM, ASA and ATSB also attend. CPs, CFIs and other interested industry representatives from in the area from BU to TWB to CG attend.
Every thing is open for discussion. The new CASA Mananger for SQ Field Office intends to continue with these meetings.

Wheeler
7th Apr 2006, 10:09
Lodown - You could have written Yes Minister - Brilliant!

Sunfish
7th Apr 2006, 21:24
Lodown, I think you are being overly cynical. true, the beaurocratic dance may take a little time, but thats the way things have to get done to get them signed off.

I am sure there are many ways for CASA and GA to do some "win/win" projects that will reduce costs for both CASA and GA, but the cynicim and fighting must cease first.

Scion
7th Apr 2006, 22:28
Sunfish,
You must remember that the only weapon that those you have no power is humour. So those who weild their power with arrogance must expect to have their leg pulled. It is not cynical to prick a ballon.

helmet fire
12th Apr 2006, 10:29
What meeting?
How did you find out about it? (or to rephrase: how did I miss all the advertising?)
When is the next one?
So many questions.....

Lodown
17th Apr 2006, 20:38
Sunfish, I don’t think I am being overly cynical. Yes, things take time with CASA or any other government department. They’re consistently about 15 years behind private industry, but that is normal government function. I’m prepared most of the time to give them the benefit of the doubt. However, when it comes to GA, CASA just seem to put a warm body in front of a small crowd on a semi-annual basis, listen to the same concerns, and then duly file the report in the tubular filing cabinet beside the desk.
GA has at best a stagnant market, and at worst, a shrinking market. There’s a current thread elsewhere on Pprune about aircraft age and the effect on the industry, but in the wash, it all comes down to a viable market. When that market is moving, growing and changing, I can’t help being cynical when I perceive that mostly through regulatory constraints, the businesses that traditionally served that market are limited in their growth and ability to change in response to that evolution. There’s been an ever-widening gap between the GA service providers and market needs for the last 20 years. Sure, there are still some profitable market niches, but they’re seemingly becoming less in number and more exclusive with the passage of time.
My pet peeve is that in several situations the regulations amount to nothing more than restriction of trade. For example, the rules regarding protection of RPT routes, advertising schedules/seats, ticket sales and frequency restrictions on flying existing RPT routes are so archaic and anti-free trade that they aren’t just hindering growth, they’re killing the entrepreneurial zeal on which the western world prides itself. They were essential when struggling airlines needed protection, but these regs are hindering growth in GA and in other industries, in particular as I see it, in Australia’s regional areas.
The regulatory review process just keeps drifting aimlessly, but this can’t continue to be an excuse for avoiding major changes to regulations. CASA is becoming a lame duck while the regulatory review alternates from on again to off again. It’s pointless turning up to meetings with GA if every non-government and government person alike in attendance knows that it’s business as usual and nothing will really be accomplished. These meetings can’t even be regarded as a PR exercise or to justify a travel budget anymore. I think those who attend go along with the vain hope that there may be a great announcement one day that CASA has had an epiphany, the corporate vision will be laid bare for the next 20 years and work on beneficial changes will begin immediately.
I’m not saying that CASA needs to promote the aviation industry. That is fraught with dangers as the FAA discovered, but only CASA has the ability and responsibility to constantly review regulations and ensure a viable and level field of competition for any innovative nutcase with a few bucks who is already in or wants to get into an aviation business.
What I would like to see from CASA is this:
1. Comprehensive 5, 10 and 20 year plans for the aviation industry. What pressures, trends and innovations are envisioned and CASA’s planned response.
2. Priority on the regulatory review process.
It’s their job. The rest will follow.
As I see it, CASA is stumbling in a fog. The organisation lacks vision and the will to make changes. Whether the blame for this can be laid with ministerial and adventurer fiddling, DOTRS or somewhere else, I don’t know and that is open to speculation, but until CASA gains some assertiveness and direction, these meetings with GA are just a waste of time.
That’s my little rant for the day.

djpil
19th May 2006, 01:28
Last time I went to Canberra, a few months ago, I had planned to ask CASA what their schedule was for closing down the industries (aviation plus the bit of aerospace they influence).
Yesterday with BB was more heartening. Its slow going but gaining momentum and we all need to support the changes he is making. I made that point to a Minister I managed to collar last night.