PDA

View Full Version : ICAO PPL(A)?

Neeps
5th Apr 2006, 11:18
Can someone explain this license to me, as well as an estimated cost. (if possible) I've tried a search with no returns, though perhaps I'm using the wrong keywords.

Any help appreciated.

Whirlygig
5th Apr 2006, 11:23
If you're based in the UK, you would probably need a JAA PPL(A) or the national CAA NPPL (which is restricted to the UK only).

An ICAO licence may not necessarily be valid in this country; only the country in which you obtained the licence.

Try searching on Private Flying as well!

Cheers

Whirls

Port Strobe
5th Apr 2006, 11:23
This is a collective name for the national licences issued by ICAO member states, so it is not a licence in itself, but a JAA PPL(A) is an ICAO PPL(A) if you follow. That's about the limit of my knowledge, I'm sure there will be others with a more extensive knowledge than I. Hope this helps.

Neeps
5th Apr 2006, 11:31
Thank you, that makes it a lot clearer for me!

Lance Murdoch
5th Apr 2006, 17:23
Neeps, to reiterate what Port Strobe said. There is no such thing as a ICAO PPL per se, it is a generic term for a PPL issued in a ICAO country e.g. UK, Canada, USA, South Africa and most other major countries. All these PPL's consist of broadly the same requirements (I did my PPL five years ago but I dont think things have changed) i.e. minimum 45 hours tuition with at least 15 hours supervised solo time. A cross country flight of at least 150nm with 2 landings at different fields, and a cross country flight to an unfamiliar air field. The academic syllabus is roughly the same with air law, met etc adapted for that particular country as is the flying training.
It should be simple to convert from a PPL issued in a ICAO country to a JAA PPL but it isnt.:eek:

IO540
5th Apr 2006, 19:48
European protectionism :O

WestWind1950
5th Apr 2006, 21:01
in Germany, if you had a PPL BEFORE JAR-FCL was introduced and did not have the full requirements for obtaining the new JAA licence, you were issued an ICAO PPL. It is basically the same, but is not necessarily recognised everywhere and can't have any other ratings, like night etc. added on to it. It is no longer possible to optain an ICAO PPL (A). The national glider and free balloon licences, not following any JAR-FCL requirments because there aren't any (yet), are ICAO licenses.

DFC
5th Apr 2006, 21:19
ICAO PPL is used to describe a PPL issued in acccordance with ICAO Annex 1.

Examples include JAA PPL, UK PPL isued prior to JAA changeover French PPL, Irish PPL and so on.

Example excluded is the UK NPPL.

Holders of an ICAO PPL can exercise the licence privileges on aircraft of the country where the licence is issued worldwide without for the most part having to ask permission.

An NPPL holder flying say a C172 however is limited to UK airspace.

One will also hear pilots talking about ICAO ratings.

Examples of ICAO ratings are SEP (LAND), MEP(LAND) and the IR.

Example of a National or NON-ICAO reating is the UK IMC which is valid only in UK airspace.

When trying to gain a validation or licence in another country, having an ICAO licence helps. A non-ICAO licence can cause problems unless the training is to a certain certified standard that the authorities will accept it.

Regards,

DFC