PDA

View Full Version : RIP Ron Bertram President of AOPA; Funeral and Wake details

propwash85
5th Apr 2006, 05:25
Pilot feared killed in Bankstown crash
April 5, 2006 - 3:06PM

Sydney Morning Herald

One person is believed dead after a light plane crashed at Bankstown Airport in Sydney's south-west.

A Bankstown Airport spokeswoman says the aircraft crashed at 2.45pm (AEST).

The victim's believed to be the pilot of the aircraft.

It's not known whether the fixed-wing aircraft crashed during take-off or landing.

Emergency services are at the scene.

I hope it isn't too bad.....:uhoh:

nomorecatering
5th Apr 2006, 05:28
Ac believed to be a Lancair, departing off 29, apparent loss of power after takeoff

Avid Aviator
5th Apr 2006, 05:41
Radio news at 15:00LT reports another aircraft involved, although I gather they meant a parked a/c on ground?
Best wishes for all involved.

FLMileHigh
5th Apr 2006, 05:58
The pilot of a light aircraft was killed when his aircraft was torn apart during a "touch and go'' landing exercise at Sydney's Bankstown Airport this afternoon.

Fire Brigades officers say the Lancair 360 crashed at 2.40pm AEDT after losing control on a landing approach to the airport.

A spokesman said: "Our first report said the aircraft had crashed beside a hangar at the aerodrome during a touch and go manoeuvre and was torn apart.

"We are on [the] scene laying a blanket of foam to prevent it from catching fire."

An airport worker, who phoned Radio 2GB and gave his name as Dave, said he saw the aircraft impact into the ground upside down.

The man said the pilot did not stand a chance - "absolutely none, he was going too fast and upside down".

"There were no wings left on it. I believe it was an experimental aircraft."

He said the wind was fine this morning but had picked up to 12-15 knots this afternoon.

Another caller to 2GB said the aircraft nosedived into the ground.

Another caller said he saw the plane take off and the undercarriage retract and it all looked fine and he turned away, then he heard the crash.

An ambulance spokesman said the pilot was a man in his late 40s. His aircraft clipped another on the ground in the crash, he said.

Bankstown Airport spokesman Meredith Laverty said: "Tragically a single-engine aircraft crashed after take-off at approximately 2.45pm.

"There was one person on board. Emergency services are attending and the airport remains open."

The crash happened in the north-west quadrant of the airfield near the helicopters. There was some wreckage on one of the three runways but it has been cleared and all runways are open.

Aussie
5th Apr 2006, 05:59
GDay all,
I was on downwind RWY 29R on decent to 1000FT and witnessed the whole event...
Aircraft appeared to loose engine power at what looked about 100FT AGL after takeoff, from what i saw, the pilot turned to the right, and shortly after made contact with the ground, taking out a GFS seminole. I was told by on lookers the engine restarted just before impact. BK was closed and we had to circle before ATC got it undercontrol and allowed arriving aircraft to land. Pilot of the Lanceair died on impact...
Had to give a statement to police.
Dont TURN BACK <500FT AGL!!!!
Aussie

Diatryma
5th Apr 2006, 06:00
Lancair possibly VH-IVP crashed into Seminol possibly VH-MPC which was on ground parked.

Condolences to friends and family of Lancair pilot. RIP.

Di

Diatryma
5th Apr 2006, 06:28
Lancair actually VH-ZNZ crashed into Seminol actually VH-MPC which was on ground parked.

Condolences to friends and family of Lancair pilot. RIP.

Di

JET_A1
5th Apr 2006, 06:39
This is why we never TURN BACK!!! I often wonder though...... It's tempting though when it don't look good in front and you got the whole Airport behind!!!!

My feelings go out to his family.

Aussie
5th Apr 2006, 06:56
Jet A1,

Easy said now...

I think its normal Human instinct when in danger to forget and just turn back to safety...

My condolence to the Family. RIP.

Aussie

Ultralights
5th Apr 2006, 07:08
if runway 18/36 wass till open could he mhave made that?

My sincerest condolences to his family and friends.

Altimeters
5th Apr 2006, 07:19
I don't think it's relevant....

My thoughts and condolences go out to his family. RIP mate.

Zap Brannigan
5th Apr 2006, 07:28
Let's leave out the critisism for the time being.
He was a good man and he leaves behind a loving family.
Thanks for all your help mate. RIP.

Woomera
5th Apr 2006, 07:30
Chaps,

Let's find out a bit more detail before we go quarterbacking shall we, there will be plenty of time for that later......

KLN94
5th Apr 2006, 08:13
RIP Mate. It was good to know you...:sad:

Dogimed
5th Apr 2006, 08:22
Mate,

May your happiness shine on.

RIP

Scurvy.D.Dog
5th Apr 2006, 09:27
A devastating day for his family, and the wider GA community.:(
He will always have my respect and admiration for the tireless work he undertook for the GA industry, often in very difficult circumstances! … an unwavering strength of conviction and purpose, carried though with good humour!
Rest in peace sir!

tipsy2
5th Apr 2006, 10:28
From the "Australian Newspaper"
http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,5744,18722443%255E1702,00.html

Crash pilot 'well known in industry'
By Warwick Stanley and Katherine Danks
April 05, 2006
THE pilot of a light plane killed during a take-off exercise in Sydney was one of the Australian aircraft industry's most widely known and popular identities.

Father of two Ron Bertram, who was aged in his early 40s, died on impact when the Lancair 360 kit-made aircraft he was flying crashed on impact in front of horrified onlookers at Bankstown Airport today.

The accident happened about 2.40pm (AEST) as Mr Bertram was practising "touch and gos" – where the pilot almost lands the plane before taking off again.

An Airservices Australia spokesman said he did a steep right-hand turn from a height of about 380m before hitting the ground upside down at high speed.

Friends and colleagues of Mr Bertram paid tribute to a man they said had been helping to bring Australia's "balkanised" aircraft industry together.

<<<Advertisement>>>>

Mr Bertram was a licensed aircraft maintenance engineer and instructor pilot who was the serving president of the Aircraft Owners and Pilots Association (AOPA).

"He was a very, very experienced commercial, light and ultra-light pilot with thousands of flying hours," said AOPA vice president Bob Nash.

"He was also one of the good guys. He had remarkable achievements behind him for someone so young.

"He had been in the process of bringing together Australian aircraft interests across the board, and his reputation can be gauged on the calls we received after the accident.

"We've already had people like the chief of CASA Bruce Byron, federal minister Warren Truss and Airservices chief Greg Russell say what a tragic loss this is."

Rest in Peace Ron.

tipsy

multi_engined
5th Apr 2006, 10:59
I myself and a flying collegue witnessed the crash and later visited the crash site itself.

My deepest regards go to Ron's family, may he rest in peace

DeltaSix
5th Apr 2006, 11:18
My condolences to his family.

RIP Ron. AFTS will miss you.

D6

Walrus 7
5th Apr 2006, 11:36
I had only encounters with Ron: sharing the AOPA stand with him for the seven days of Avalon, the two days of the AOPA roadshow at Lilydale and a good meal with him on the first night.

It was enough for me to know he was a special bloke who - no matter what you thought of his politics - deserved every amount of respect he earned. AOPA took up so much of his time and he gave it willingly. Who would have thought he had so little left?

See you, mate, and thanks.

Walrus
AOPA Member

Obiwan
5th Apr 2006, 11:44
I met Ron about 5 years ago - although we very quickly became good friends.
We had a common background, both having been AAL cadets in our youth in western Sydney - although we never met during this time. I ran into him when we were both adult leaders with the AAL and immediately hit it off.

Ron encouraged me to get back into flying, I'd stopped after getting married and having kids - and for that I'll always be greatful.

Some of my fondest memories are the good times spent with Ron flying, taking our kids on joyflights, good times spinning yarns and drinking way too much.

His passing has left a hole in my life - it hasn't sunk in yet. I've lost one of my best friends.

My heart goes out to his wife, family and friends. To those who never met him, he was an absolutely great bloke. Let's not forget him.

DUXNUTZ
5th Apr 2006, 12:26
Knew Ron back at Basair where he did his Instructor Rating. Enjoyed his humerous anecdotes and engaging personality.

I think we should ALL be a little sensitive and hold the theorising till the report, it is their job after all.

This hits a little too close, been in the industry less than 5 yrs and already lost too many good souls...

Whatever your affiliation most of us choose this career because we enjoy it, lets cut the basckstabbing asnd acknowledge a fallen comrade.

God Bless and be safe out there folks.

YRIC46
5th Apr 2006, 13:07
Ive only done Cpl Theory with Ron, just last year. Only knew him for a short while. Great and fun guy to be with. Im sure everybody in the aviation industry will miss him nearly. God bless you Ron and thanks for your help. RIP mate. And deepest regrets to the family.

DJ Sonic
5th Apr 2006, 13:40
i knew Ron from the AAL and later he taught me heaps of stuff i thought id never learn i didnt know him for long but he was so much fun to be with ill miss you mate.

:(

gaunty
5th Apr 2006, 13:56
He was a good man, on the square and lived his life such, that when he was summoned from this sublunary abode there was no doubt of his ultimate destination. ** *.

RIP Bro. Ron

Horatio Leafblower
5th Apr 2006, 14:09
Ron was one of GA's best - always putting the politics behind him and giving his all to our cause.

I have never met anyone so generous with his time and his enthusiasm.

RIP Ron.

Ronnie Honker
5th Apr 2006, 20:37
A sad day indeed, and almost certainly the memories and lessons ("this aircraft needs speed to fly") of last week's Lancair crash must have been in the forefront of his mind prior to making this flight.

Does anyone know what his PPRuNe handle was?

RIP, Ron Bertram.

Condolences to his family.

Sunfish
5th Apr 2006, 21:01
Condolences to the Bertram family. His heart was obviously in the right place.

Dick Smith
5th Apr 2006, 23:02
Sunfish, you state:

Whatever the politics, his heart was obviously in the right place. I’m sure you don’t intend it, but this can read as a bit of a put down. I found Ron to be open, non-secretive and genuine. I saw no “politics” at all in his mission to bettering the aviation industry.

It amazed me that he had time not only to run his successful commercial business, but to put so much time into AOPA and other important aviation issues.

His death will definitely be a terrible loss to Australian aviation – especially general aviation.

Fidoda
5th Apr 2006, 23:17
Ron trained with my late husband Paul at Basair and the last time I saw him was at Paul's memorial.

I am so shocked and sorry to hear this news. My heart goes out to Ron's family during this terrible time.

To Ron's wife if I can offer you any assistance, comfort or just someone to talk to please contact me.

Fiona Norris

Atlas Shrugged
5th Apr 2006, 23:34
RIP buddy.

I'll never forget what you did for me all those years ago. It was a pleasure knowing you and flying with you.

:{ :{ :{

Foyl
5th Apr 2006, 23:39
I knew Ron via AOPA. He was a thoroughly nice guy and always took an interest in what you had to say, and was a passionate advocate of flying. My heart goes out to his family.

RIP Ron, we'll miss you. :(

OZBUSDRIVER
6th Apr 2006, 00:19
I saw the crash on the news last night and thought to myself....not another one:ugh: And then to find out today it is Ron. I am heartbroken. I met Ron for the first time at the AGM last year. I only know him from my contact with AOPA. I know that he suffered from the simple addiction of his career. He loved flying, no question about it. He gave everything to his position as president of the AOPA even to the point of using his honeymoon to visit some flying clubs and spread the word. Although I have never met his wife I am very saddened and send my deepest sympathy to her.

Politics was clearly never his intention with his presidency of AOPA. His ambition was to unite the group and turn it around, heal the bad blood that still festers even today and bring aviation back to a more positive outlook within the community in general. He was steadily achieving this goal. His position was never challenged.

For I have slipped the surely bonds of earth and touched the face of God

Farewell Mr President

Mark

Time Bomb Ted
6th Apr 2006, 01:28
RIP mate.

You will be missed.

TBT

RTB RFN
6th Apr 2006, 01:31
I had only one involvement with Ron when he assisted me with my analysis of the three parallel runway operations and procedures at BK. I instantly liked and respected the man for his friendly, balanced and professional interest and energetic input. A shock and a very sad loss. My thoughts are with all of those people who were far closer to him than me.

lk978
6th Apr 2006, 03:41
I along with many others got started in aviation because of Ron,

Thank you

Bula
6th Apr 2006, 04:06
I knew Ron for when I worked with him at AFTS for a short period of time. Ron and the CFI gave me a chance for which I will be forever greatful. You were a top bloke mate always willing to lend a hand. You will be a character and good bloke well missed. RIP mate.

Frank Burden
6th Apr 2006, 04:10
Like others, my knowledge of Ron has been through his work with AOPA. He appeared to be tireless in his efforts to make the organisation an effective voice for the GA community once again.

My deepest regrets to his family. May he soar with the angels forever.

karrank
6th Apr 2006, 05:11
My regrets to those left behind. Anybody know what sort of engine?

Woomera
6th Apr 2006, 05:49
CASA Register indicated it was a LANCAIR 360.

I assume that indicates a Lycoming 360 class engine, possibly a 200 HP IO-360?

OZBUSDRIVER
6th Apr 2006, 06:05
Brian Hannan asked me if I could post this for him-

Ron and I spoke daily, often several times, and I shared his dreams for the future of GA and AOPA. It was only because of Ron that I accepted the offer to come on the AOPA Board.

The bridges he was building with the regulators, industry, and pilots are a tribute to his enthusiasm and personal ethos and he was taking a lot of unpaid time to achieve all this on behalf of all GA, not just AOPA, at a time when his family commitments were heavy. An extraordinary person I was lucky to know for a too brief time.

In remembering Ron and his vision, I am reminded of the words of aboriginal elder Winnie Q in 1988 "You know that I have some beautiful dreams and I urge you to start work on them as soon as possible".

RIP Ron.

Brian Hannan

Maybe we should start working on that dream ASAP! Why does it take someone like Ron to make us realise how fragile and petty we have become.

Mark Jones

Feather #3
6th Apr 2006, 06:43
I think Brian Hannan's quote above is an excellent summary. Let's go forward with Ron's vision as his legacy.

My condolences to his family.

RIP

Biatch
6th Apr 2006, 08:57
Ron was a great friend and instructor... he took me right from GFPT to CPL at AFTS and I have only fond memories of our flights together.... RIP Ron... i wont forget you...

Obiwan
6th Apr 2006, 10:09
AOPA has released a statement on Ron's death on their website (http://www.aopa.com.au/mediareleases/mr060406.pdf).
Minister Warren Truss has paid tribute to Ron here (http://www.ministers.dotars.gov.au/wtr/releases/2006/April/047WT_2006.htm) and AirServices CEO Greg Russell has also offered his condolences (http://www.airservicesaustralia.com/media/press_releases/pr.asp?id=pr5_06).

yigy2
6th Apr 2006, 22:39
I flew with Ron and did his CPL and NVFR rating. Very good Pilot. We had a lot of fun flying together and he was one of my favourite students.

I also hitched a ride to Paul's funeral in the back of a hired duchess which Ron was driving. Such a small industry of people. This is a big loss to GA as Ron was so dedicated to the industry and not moving onto an airline

I'll miss you mate and have a beer for you tonight

gaunty
6th Apr 2006, 23:20
Does anybody have a date for the Funeral.

AOPA Australia
7th Apr 2006, 01:12
Our sincere thanks to all those who have expressed their feelings.

Today's Australian Newspaper has an article on Ron in the aviation section.

The funeral arrangements are still proceeding and will be posted here and emailed to all on the AOPA email list once finalised.

AOPA Australia
7th Apr 2006, 22:42
BERTRAM, Ronaldpaul (Ron).

April 5, 2006. Dearly loved husband of Joanne, father to Zach, Monique and Jake. Loving son of Alan and Joyce. Brother of Brian, Alan and Nicole.

Aged 43 years.

Forever in our hearts.

RON'S relatives and friends are warmly invited to attend his funeral service, to be held on Wednesday (April 12, 2006) at Macquarie Park Crematorium, cnr. Delhi Road and Plassey Road, Macquarie Park, commencing at 12.30 p.m.

In lieu of flowers, donations to the Cancer Council would be appreciated.

ALLAN DREW FUNERALS CASTLE HILL 9680 1344

Woomera
10th Apr 2006, 01:54
The AOPA Board has organised the High Flyer as follows:

High Flyer (0297919000) - 25 Birch Street, Condell Park.

They have allocated the Beer Garden at the back of the main bar for us for the afternoon and evening, and there is a Bistro where we can order food.

All Ron's friends will be welcome. We hope to see you there.

The Board has invited members and guest back to the High Flyer for a get together in Ron's memory. This is not a catered function, rather they are providing a space for us, to meet together close to where Ron spent his time. Tomorrow Bob Nash will provide details for anyone who wishes to have tea there.

All of the Board will be returning there, and so the invitation is for any one who is interested to meet and spend time together to share stories about Ron and have fellowship together, following this loss.

gaunty
11th Apr 2006, 04:25
SLIGHT CHANGE OF PLAN FOR AFTER RON'S FUNERAL

Jo Bertram wishes to have a gathering after the funeral at the
Eastwood Rugby Union Club - this will be very low key.

Eastwood Rugby Union Club

146 Vimiera Road

Marsfield

from 2pm to 4pm. This venue is about 5 - 10 mins from the Crematorium.

There will be light catering, but drinks will need to be purchased.

Jo will not want to be there for very long.

AND for those who are unable to attend the funeral due to work or other commitments

To respect her wishes, the AOPA Board will attend and then move to the High Flyer from around 1700 hours, particularly to suit Bankstown people who wish to come after work and share stories.

The Board and those who wish will remain at the High Flyer for the evening meal.

Hugh Jarse
11th Apr 2006, 11:49
Further to Gaunty's, if any interstaters need a place to stay at short notice, send me a PM and I will forward contact details. I live about 1/2 way between the Crematorium and Woodies Rugby Club, and have a spare room available.

First in best dressed.

I never knew Ron. Just paying my respects to a fellow aviator.

Zap Brannigan
11th Apr 2006, 22:52
That's very generous of you Hugh :ok: