PDA

View Full Version : Janet and John learn about a class 1

Genghis the Engineer
4th Apr 2006, 13:23
Whilst undergoing the usual rituals the other day, it occurred to me that I don't really understand everything that's being checked and why. Being an inquisitive chap, I'd quite like to.

Can anybody point me to a "Janet and John" guide anywhere that shows what is actually being checked, why and how?

G

niknak
4th Apr 2006, 13:29
I suspect that you'd die of bordem in the process...:p

got caught
4th Apr 2006, 14:50
The clinical examination bit is a bit of "an art" and tends, on the whole, to not be that useful.

The most useful part is the history the patient gives- (did you fill in a form?)-usually this guides cliniciians as to what part of the body to examine, although I notice that AME's tend to be a little more systematic than that.

Each clinician usually has a slightly different scheme of doing things, but the clinical examination is designes to detect, or rule out problems with the main systems of the body, (cardiovascular, digestive, nervous, skeletal etc.)

Each system has its own little "order" involving examining parts which, on the face of it, do not directly relate to the sytem in question. (For example, we examine the finger nails, as part of the respiratory system examination.)

The whole thing takes ages to learn, and hours of practice are spent on fellow students, family members, and in my case, the dog, in order to gain competency.

Is there any part of the examination in particular you have a question about?

Genghis the Engineer
4th Apr 2006, 14:59
The dog??????

No particular part, I'm just generally nosey.

G

got caught
4th Apr 2006, 15:18
Yes, the dog was a good model.

The three reasons we carry out clinicial examination are;
a) to find things out (and its not always that good at this)
b) medico-legal reasons
c) to instill some confidence in the patient

it does require a fair degree of dexterity, whilst thinking in a systematic way, and communicating this to the patient. (would you really trust someone who is heavy handed), - the best way to learn this is practice, practice , and practice.

The dog was a great model for fundocopies (looking at the back of the eyes), although I did find his breath somewhat offensive at times.:)

Genghis the Engineer
4th Apr 2006, 15:21
(would you really trust someone who is heavy handed)

I had a military medical once by an RAF station doctor who, surreally, wore a loadmaster's aircrew brevet.

So far as I could tell, the medical was performed by a loadmaster :}

G

slim_slag
4th Apr 2006, 19:55
Can anybody point me to a "Janet and John" guide anywhere that shows what is actually being checked, why and how?
GYou can trawl through the FAA Guide (http://www.faa.gov/about/office_org/headquarters_offices/avs/offices/aam/ame/guide/) which is quite comprehensive.

got caught
19th Apr 2006, 16:57
I have noticed that "the Times" are running a series in their "Body and Soul" section, looking at the various techniques used by the medical profession.

It rates such qualities as clinical efficacy, and "bull**** " factor. Last week it looked at why we tap patients chests with our fingers.

Bad medicine
19th Apr 2006, 21:21
That would be the very useful "Lab test" then. :8 :) :)

BM

got caught
20th Apr 2006, 08:04
Don't mention the "CAT" scan:uhoh:

one dot right
20th Apr 2006, 09:22
"It rates such qualities as clinical efficacy, and "bull**** " factor. Last week it looked at why we tap patients chests with our fingers."

I couldn't find it, why do you do that?

got caught
20th Apr 2006, 09:51
It makes us look clever....and the lungs normally contain mostly air, which results in a nice echo on tapping.

If they contain something they shouldn't, such as fluid in the lung, the resulting note is duller.

Try it yourself, place your middle finger on the rt side of the chest wall, and tap between the knuckle and the next joint out with the index finger of your other hand.

As you move your echo sounder down to just above the bottom of the rib cage, the note dulls, as you pass from lung (air) to liver (solid).

My own little radar information service;)

Efficacy factor=medium
bull**** factor=medium

one dot right
20th Apr 2006, 13:20
Thank you,always wondered!

tom1000
25th Apr 2006, 15:15
i'm new to all this as i have only just really started to research the requirements of becoming a pilot. can anybody give me any idea of the cost of a medical, what class it has to be and how to locate my nearest AME? also any sort of requirements of health would be appreciated.

tom

strafer
25th Apr 2006, 16:35
Tom1000 - I'm a nice chap with time on my hands so:

1st port of call - http://www.caa.co.uk/default.aspx?categoryid=49&pagetype=68&groupid=211

You will need a Class One medical to fly commercially. Cost around £450, initial exam is always done by the CAA at Gatwick.

For any other queries I suggest searching in the Wannabees forum (there's a FAQ section) and also buying 'Guide to Being a Commercial Pilot' by Clive Hughes.

(Edited to add - if you are worried you may not make the grade on (eg) eyesight - it's a lot cheaper to print off the JAA requirements and get a high street opticians to give you an exam to see if you are capable of meeting the requirements).