PDA

View Full Version : Access to Mil AIP ?

What Limits
3rd Apr 2006, 23:18
Does anyone know if it is possible to access the online version of the MIL AIP from the Internet? I need some approach plates for a nearby Military Airbase (The secret one in Shropshire).

BEagle
4th Apr 2006, 06:43
Unfortunately not - and the UK AIP doesn't have any military bases in it any more.

One can access the German Mil AIP on-line, so why not the UK Mil AIP?

Is it classified? I think not.

Perhaps it's so that AIDU can sell it to you?

Pontius Navigator
4th Apr 2006, 07:08
The UK Mil AIP is indeed classified, or protectively marked in the modern jargon, because the UK Low Flying Handbook is incorporated in it. It is issued in CD-ROM form and, as BEAgle says, does not contain approach plates.

Also AIDU would not put approach plates online nor fax them to a customer because of the ink. Yes, truely. According to the then boss the coloured inks on the TAPs and formulated to be NVG readable. The red ink from you PC World special would not have been approved and the facsimilie might omit some colours altogether.

BEagle
4th Apr 2006, 09:15
So why not just put out a version without the oh-so-secret UK LFH and mark it "Not compatible with NVG operations"!

All people actually need is the equivalent information as provided in the UK AIP. In fact, why not include UK military aerodromes in the UK AIP as available on line?

chevvron
4th Apr 2006, 17:25
If it's just TAP's why not try AERAD - they print them for the RAF and as far as I know, they're available to anyone for a price.

Pontius Navigator
4th Apr 2006, 17:39
B*gg*r BEagle, fact logic and reason strikes again.

Oh I forgot, FLR was abolished in the 70s as an economy measure.

I think the reason for not issuing 'day-only' TAPs was the lost of documentary control. Course he never really accepted that the FJ community, certainly the AD guys, only filled up their TAP pocket on the OCU and in the event of a standards check. Carrying, using or updating TAPs was a waste of time. In an emergency they would follow radar vectors or their mate.:)

Pontius Navigator
4th Apr 2006, 17:41
Chevvron, if Aerad print TAPs for the RAF, what is that new shed (new in 1995) doing at Northolt or has it been contractorised?

chevvron
5th Apr 2006, 17:12
I think you'll find the shed at WU is for the whole of No 1 AIDU (where's No2 then?)
AERAD have been under contract to print MOD TAP's for about 5 years now; the RAF made a big thing about it when it started; since then AERAD have changed hands several times - Raytheon - Thales - and now European Aeronautical Group (Euronautical), but as far as I know they still do it. I have at my unit for instance, a set for a certain RAF airfield dated 19 Jan 06 with the words 'No 1 AIDU (RAF)/European Aeronautical Group Aerad' in the margin.

Pontius Navigator
5th Apr 2006, 17:45
Chevvron, thanks for that, as I suspected I am a little out of date in that area. Historically however . . .

No 2 AIDU was established at HQ FEAF and like 361 Sqn were all part of our Empire. Given the long lines of communication to the Far East and the publication cycles it was probably deemed better to have a local aeronautical bureau.

With the Healey withdrawal from the Far East, 361 was never formed and No 2 AIDU was disbanded. That would have been at the end of the 60s or maybe as late as 73.

Why AIDU stuck to the Number 1 when the ANS reformed to embrace both the basic nav (2 ANS) and advanced (1 ANS) I do not know.

green granite
5th Apr 2006, 18:12
You might find what you want here https://164.214.2.62/products/digitalaero/index.cfm

its an american site but covers the entire world with various enroute sups, sids, charts etc

Lima Juliet
5th Apr 2006, 21:40
Not just classified for UKLFS but also for the HIRTA info (High Intensity Radio Transmission Area for those that don't know).

What Limit, why don't you contact Shawbury - if you're going to do instrument approaches there I'm sure the SATCO would only be too pleased to fax you some plates - after all he/she wouldn't want to you follow out of date procedures and crash:ok:

By the way, under Bliar's "Wider Market Initiative" you will be charged a ridiculous sum for instrument approaches at an MOD airfield - my advice? Go to Liverpool, Coventry or Wolverhampton!

Regards

LJ

c-bert
6th Apr 2006, 07:49
Not just classified for UKLFS but also for the HIRTA info (High Intensity Radio Transmission Area for those that don't know).
LJ

Surely all air traffic needs to know about HIRTAs. Certainly they are marked up on my civy charts....:confused:

Pontius Navigator
6th Apr 2006, 08:45
HIRTAs are type specific. True the hazard source and a standard avoid will be on the charts but the avoid will differ if you are flying a Cessna or an electric jet and electrically initiated explosive release units on under wing stores or your electric jet has sensitive computers.

antipodean alligator
6th Apr 2006, 12:07
.....Or it never got properly EMI/EMC tested so you couldn't have everything switched on at the same time in case it didn't work....Who needs A-A Tacan anyway hey???
:ok:

AfricanSkies
6th Apr 2006, 13:29
Try this :
https://164.214.2.62/products/digitalaero/terminals/termindex.cfm?versionname=V0603&regionname=EUROPE_NORTH_AFRICA_MIDDLE_EAST/

SirToppamHat
6th Apr 2006, 19:13
Leon said:
you will be charged a ridiculous sum for instrument approaches at an MOD airfield

And don't even think about popping into the feeder for a spot of lunch ... £8.55 for a sandwich!

STH

FormerFlake
6th Apr 2006, 20:47
You can buy the MIL AIP from the AIDU, the civilian company I work for always has an up to date copy.