PDA

View Full Version : Expat Question - DHC-6

TDK91
3rd Apr 2006, 18:28
Hey Guys, I'm currently flying for a small airline in Las Vegas as an FO on the DHC-6 Twin Otter. I plan on coming home to the UK in the next few years and am currently working on my JAA ATPL writtens. My question is, once I have the ATPL writtens done, I'll have about 3000hrs TT, with about 500 -1000 ME Turbine PIC in the DHC-6. The aircraft doesn't need a type rating here in the states, does it under JAR? If it does does anyone know where I could get one? If I can get a JAR type, it will basically convert my FAA ATP to a JAA one, as I understand it.

Thanks

cortilla
3rd Apr 2006, 19:56
I seem to remember that any jet powered a/c requires a type rating (under JAR), but not sure whereyou can do one

Jelly Doughnut
3rd Apr 2006, 20:57
Have a read through this thread
http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=219075
the same rules apply to converting any ICAO license.

Ambulance 'Charlie Alpha'
4th Apr 2006, 07:01
Hi there

As far as I'm aware, you'll need to get the DHC-6 stamped on the licence over here to fly European reg'd Twotters. The only good thing about getting this type on the JAA licence is that the UK CAA do accept that you don't require an MCC to fly it! It is classed as a single crew type, 'operated as multi-crew for the purpose of public transport'. It also allows you to count 500 hours on type towards the requirement for full JAR ATPL issue. However, because it is classed as a JAR 23 type aircraft, it wont allow you to actually 'unfreeze' your JAR ATPL. Only a fresh type rating on a JAR 25 aircraft, eg. SAAB 340, Shorts 360 etc, etc will do that for you. Sound's hard to believe doesn't it!?

I'm no help regarding whether the CAA would give you the rating based on your current experience on type, but if you do need to get a UK base check done, to my knowledge there are 3 organisations in the UK that can help you, obviously assuming that they have the training time and capacity available and you have the money! They are Isles of Scilly Skybus, Loganair and the British Antarctic Survey. Don't think anyone else in the UK trains on the DHC-6.

Cheers

ACA