PDA

View Full Version : SKY WEST 2nd Officers.

novicef
3rd Apr 2006, 12:42
Do you think SKY WEST will ever employ 2nd Officers with experience of about 500 hours on their F50? There are major airlines that employ trained cadet pilots with about 400 hours as First Officers on Heavy Jet Aircraft on ETOPS operations around the world. They all have Frozen ATPL's, I/R and a Degree.

These First Officers commence employment as Second Officers on a Second officers salary and only after they are checked to line are they promoted to First officer on a First Officers salary. This Line Training lasts about 3 months ( short sectors). On the first few sectors, a First officer rides as a safety pilot and as the training progresses he is removed from the flight deck.

Here's hoping.

AerocatS2A
3rd Apr 2006, 13:32
Why would they hire a second officer when they have a perfectly good first officer and don't require any extra flight crew?

One day, they might hire first officers with 500 hours. But at the moment there's no need to, they can get FOs with 1500 hours.

puff
3rd Apr 2006, 13:55
I'd say the chances are just as good that skywest will also have Flight Engineers and Navigators introduced before they had S/Os!

When it comes to aviation Australia is not the rest of the world i'm afraid! Jobs on turbines or jets with less than 1000 hours are as rare as rocking horse s*it!

What your basically saying with your version of *second officer* novicef isn't much different to a F/O joining the company anyway, they are on a training wage until they have done their endorsement, line training and checked to line before they go up to F/O payrates.

Towering Q
3rd Apr 2006, 14:13
I once had the pleasure of a jump seat on a Skywest F50.:ok: If I remember correctly there wasn't much room. I think a regular 'third person' might make conditions a tad squeezy up front.

Monopole
3rd Apr 2006, 15:10
Do you think SKY WEST will ever employ 2nd Officers with experience of about 500 hours on their F50?
Novicef, are you talking about Skywest in Perth (again) or Skywest in Florida USA? :confused:

Both the 50 and 100 do not have S/O's, and will not have S/O's. Mate, after reading back on some of your posts, please do yourself a favour. Please, please, please take the time to research the company, their aircraft fleet (along with some basic knowledge of the aircraft), and requirements for entry into the company before you make a d**k of yourself. It is a very small industry, and people will remember the dumb and stupid things said and done well after they have forgotten the intelligent stuff :ok:

Nearly every one of us here have been there, done that and are here to help. But there are a few out there who.... well............ You'll find out.

Mr.Buzzy
3rd Apr 2006, 22:06
Only if you have 200 hours flying experience and a business degree. That way you can bore the pilots with stories of how "inefficiently" the company is being run and how you "dont understand why they do it this way" and how you "read a case study at uni about an f50 operator" and blah blah blah.

bbbbbbbbbbzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzbbbbbbbbbbbbbzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Wizofoz
4th Apr 2006, 02:01
Terminology problem here. In many parts of the world "Second Officer" just means a junior F/O, not a third wheel in the cockpit.

Where I work we have Junior and Senior FOs, but the JFOs would be refered to as SOs in some companies.

And by the way, they're not flying heavy jets with 400hrs- some are doing it with 270!!!

Track Direct
4th Apr 2006, 07:25
So does the bloke with the 270 hours have a business degree or not ?:yuk:

Wizofoz
4th Apr 2006, 08:42
.........Aeronautical engineering i think:)