PDA

View Full Version : Monarch/ExCel - what are they like?

Octopussy2
3rd Apr 2006, 09:02
I have just booked a holiday in Mallorca in September and am thinking about flights. Normally I would go BA, but the flight times to Palma seem to be eye-wateringly early, and given that our group includes my 79 year old father and (by then) 2 year old daughter, I'm looking for times that are a bit more civilised.

Two of our options are Monarch and Excel - I would be very grateful for any comments on what we could expect, good or bad.

In particular, if there's a problem with the flight, do either of them do a "here's your money back, now eff off" like certain other airlines that feature frequently on this board?

TSR2
3rd Apr 2006, 16:07
Have flown many times with Monarch Scheduled (from Manchester) and always been totally satisfied. They have a good product at reasonable prices. Specific seats can be booked in advance at a supplement and a good range of food is available for purchase on board. Good record of punctuality, stress free check-in and friendly & efficient cabin crews.

Recently flew with Excel Airways and could not fault them in any way. On flights suffixed with a 'v', if you require a meal on board it must be ordered and payed for at the time of booking otherwise only light refreshments are available.

Would have no hesitation in recommending either of these airlines but in your case with an elderly relative in the party, the booking of seats of your choice in advance, perhaps Monarch Scheduled may have the edge providing of course that price and flight timings are similar.

In my opinion, there is no chance whatsoever of either of these two reputable airlines cancelling a flight and leaving you in the lurch.

Octopussy2
5th Apr 2006, 15:03
TSR2 - many thanks for taking the time to reply and for your helpful comments.

freddiebroders
5th Apr 2006, 15:18
Hi Guys,
I am flying from BHX- AGP next Monday and then returning on Friday.

I have a few questions:
* What is/are the aircraft I will be travelling on?
* Is the Monarch service good?
* What is the legroom like?
* Do Monarch have a good punctuality record?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Regards,
Freddie

OltonPete
5th Apr 2006, 17:08
Hi

1) Both legs are almost certainly will be on an A321. Currently two based
at BHX, one on schedule and the other charter (Cosmos, Avro etc).

From 1/5/06 a third 321 arrives also for schedule. The Malaga was
replaced for a few days last year with a 320 and 757's have subbed
on the IT aircraft.

2) One of the few BHX based carriers I have never flown on but family
& friends have said they are fine. Otherwise go to www.airliners.net (http://www.airliners.net)
click on Forum then aviation discussions, then trip reports and put
Monarch in to the search engine. The most recent for 321 was July 05
unless I have missed some.
3) Some seats have been taken out of the 321 and the extra legroom
ones are sold as an extra. Otherwise they are fairly similar to to any
other LCC or Charter operator. If you want extra legroom you will have
to pay or so I believe.
4) ZB at BHX seem fairly reliable although there was a delay the other
day (I don't know why). Your aircraft on Monday should be a
nightstopper (probably the Sunday Tenerife) and you will be unlucky
to pick up a delay (hope that last comment is not a jinx).

OltonPete

freddiebroders
5th Apr 2006, 22:06
Thanks a lot for the info Pete, that is really helpful.

Does anyone know, by any chance, which 2 A321s are based at BHX at the moment?

PAXboy
6th Apr 2006, 00:23
A friend of mine, who judges fairly and is estremely well travlled, has recently reccomended Monarch to me for a proposed trip to Granada. She has used them several times and I will take her advice.

Call Established
6th Apr 2006, 09:15
Hi I used the Excel flight last year ex BHX-PMI on a Sat PM approx 1320ish ex BHX. Its operated by Air Malta 9H-AEF based in BHX and I think this acft is due to be the same unit based this summer, although it will be subject to change. All XLA flights ex BHX are ops by KM. Its an all leather A320 flights times are good etc.... Don't not be fooled by purchasing the in-flight meals with this flight as on KM you get one regardless if you have paid or not paid for one. KM cannot administer the Meal / no meal thing so therefore make it that everyone has to have one. This will save you a few quid also if you go with this option.

firstforfirstchoice
16th Apr 2006, 17:11
I know it is a bit late, but the two Monarch aircraft that were based at BHX in early April was G-MARA and G-OZBI, however G-OZBI was replaced by G-OZBE around this time.

G-MARA operating the charters, while G-OZBI was operating the scheduled routes.

The two Monarch aircraft currently based at BHX are G-MARA and
G-OZBE.

Monarch are a brill airline and I would reccomend them to anyone!!:ok: :ok:

essouira
17th Apr 2006, 17:55
I reckon Excel have the worst customer service of any airline in Europe. We were delayed ten hours due to an aircraft going tech. Then they flew us somewhere miles away from our original destination and we spent four hours on a coach getting back. The staff avoided telling the truth at every point and we only learnt what was happening from a fellow passenger who was in mobile phone contact with someone at the other end. The flight crew were having an argument with the groundstaff as we were boarding..........
Go with Monarch scheduled, they behave like professionals.

STANDTO
19th Apr 2006, 18:04
excel were a bit hit and miss last time I flew with them. In fairness, when I sent a grumpy reply email to one of their email slingers, I was surprised to get a message back, making further enquiries from quite a high level in the company.

that rather impressed me

mondriver
28th Apr 2006, 17:25
Monarch's "extra leg room seats" are well worth the £15 each way price. They give you more than BA do, and are extremely comfortable.

Hopefully this will finally shut up the "charter airline seat pitch is criminal" brigade but I don't want to pay any more for more room....

If you don't pay £15, then there's no hope for you...!!

:ok:

smudgethecat
29th Apr 2006, 09:51
monarch or excel? no contest, monarch are streets ahead, excel are dreadfull, take my word for it.

roopoo
29th Apr 2006, 13:10
Have a look here http://www.airlinequality.com/Forum/excel.htm
We flew to Turkey last year with them and departed almost 20 hours late having been consolidated with another of their late flights onto a Jumbo that had light fittings hanging out of the ceiling. Their staff's attitude was a disgrace and when we returned to Manchester Airport we chatted to some of the airport staff. Seems they made a habit of that sort of behaviour. I understand that some tour operators will not be putting business their way this year.

HTH