PDA

View Full Version : Travelling with a Guitar!

hogespa28
3rd Apr 2006, 09:00
Hi all, one for the musos amongst us.... I finally embarking on my backpacking trip of a lifetime and am taking my guitar with me. Just wondering if anyone has any tips for it staying safe while being abused by relentless baggage handlers.Any particular cases you recommend or cheap ingenious suggestions?

lexxity
3rd Apr 2006, 12:45
9 times out of 10 you will have to check it in, thus you need to get a decent hard case for it, don't skimp on a cheapy one, you'll only regret it. Have a good trip, you lucky thing!

FlyingConsultant
3rd Apr 2006, 14:55
you need to get a decent hard case for it, don't skimp on a cheapy one, you'll only regret it.

I second that. I checked in my 2 guitars a few times, even in business they did not allow me to carry it. I have good, expensive hard cases for both (USD150 or so 15 years ago!). Metal not plastic. Metal might get a dent, but plastic breaks since it is brittle. The instruments do not move in the cases, but only because I cut some foam support when I got them.

I loosen the strings a lot before the flight because of the the temp changes. I also put some silica gel in the hard cases, you never know.

Never had a problem. On all occasions, the instruments were not dumped on the belt at check-in but hand-carried instead. Only issue was the wait at the other end - oversize luggage takes ages....

good luck

FC