PDA

View Full Version : Most comfortable economy airline...

hogespa28
2nd Apr 2006, 11:51
Hi guys, I am buying my ticket to fly from Sydney to London (24+hrs!) tommorrow and need some quick advice. Who is the most comfortable airline to fly with in economy when all things considered (seats, food, entertainment etc). I would prefer to fly 777 as I have heard from many that they are much more comfortable than the old birds beating around up there...

Been thinking Virgin?...

ILOVEMCO
2nd Apr 2006, 12:33
if you want to fly in an 777 don't fly virgin.....they dont have any

Globaliser
2nd Apr 2006, 14:54
I would prefer to fly 777 as I have heard from many that they are much more comfortable than the old birds beating around up there...You need to know more than just aircraft type. For example, do you want a 9-abreast 777 or a 10-abreast 777? EK offers the latter.

cossack
2nd Apr 2006, 16:24
If you want to combine comfort and value I don't think you can beat Malaysian. 777s are 9 abreast 2-5-2 seating and offer a 34" seat pitch in economy which is not beaten by anyone. KL to London will probably be 747-400 though.

Having used them earlier this year to fly from Newark to Brisbane via Stockholm and KL, I can say that they would be difficult to beat for price and service. For me it was about CAN$1800 round trip taxes incl. which is about AUS$1700, for a trip that was 7000 miles more than you're planning.

PS I don't work for Malaysian!:ok:

OzPax1
2nd Apr 2006, 16:48
Singapore Airlines fly 777 to some citys in Oz. I'm flying to Brisbane with them in late June, the Singapore-Brisbane sector will be on a 777. Their service is pretty good too, and Changi airport is not bad either! ;)

If you want a 777 the whole way from the UK, SQ fly a 777 from Manchester to Singapore. You can then choose a route to Oz where they use a 777.

manintheback
2nd Apr 2006, 18:29
Doesnt a 747 fly the route slightly quicker than a 777 tho?

NudgingSteel
2nd Apr 2006, 19:32
I understand SIA have very good, cold beer on board and their IFE kit is meant to be great, but you'll pay a bit more for it. I recently flew MAS and their 744s are great - 34" seat pitch in economy, only 2" less than some 'Club' expensive seats with the big names. Given the price and the very good service I'd heartily recommend MAS and no, I don't work for them either.

XSBaggage
2nd Apr 2006, 19:52
I agree with Cossack, my flights with Malaysian in economy were the most comfortable I have experienced. 34" pitch really makes a difference over the 31" or 32" of the others I have flown long haul with. Believe they have good connections via KL too, and may even offer you a stopover for a day or two in KL, which is definitely worth it. Sometimes they have good deals to Oz on their own website too.

XSB

cossack
2nd Apr 2006, 20:38
I forgot to mention that I bought my tickets from their website 9 months ahead and not through an agent.
The flight from Brizzy to KL was an overnighter but there were only 70 pax so we all spread out. MAS are having problems and these low fares may not last long, (same is true of the airline!) so make sure you book with a credit card just in case.
IFE was "video on demand" which is great when you're doing so much flying. Being able to choose what to watch and when is great.
Our flights were 8 hours, then 12 then 8 again, both ways. No flight was more tha 5 minutes late pushing back.
I still don't work for Malaysian, but maybe I should.;)
Let us know what you choose.

hogespa28
3rd Apr 2006, 08:55
Thanks for advice, I took it on board and just bought a ticket with Malaysian Airlines... the test comes tuesday week (11-4) so if your advice is wrong some of you may have hell to pay ;)

I partially got my wish and am flying a 777 for the first leg then 747 for the rest...

thanks for the tips

cossack
20th Apr 2006, 21:14
So...did you survive? Any additional comments?

PAXboy
21st Apr 2006, 00:01
cossack If hogespa28 does not reply, then he didn't. :}

cossack
21st Apr 2006, 00:45
That's what I figured. Either that or he's having too much fun to come back here!;)