PDA

View Full Version : Alex Henshaw Spitfire display Film?

cambioso
1st Apr 2006, 23:05
Just read "Sigh for a Merlin" again after 20 years.....what a superb tale!!
It crossed my mind that as Alex Henshaw was called on to give his amazing displays on many occasions, that there must be some footage somewhere......
Anyone got any ideas?
I would give my eye teeth (bugger had them removed, but you know what I mean!!) to see some film.

Fokkerwokker
2nd Apr 2006, 09:31
I have, in the past, seen some grainy black and white stuff of his Spitfire aerobatic demo.

It does exist out there.

PPRuNe Pop
2nd Apr 2006, 12:32
If it indeed does please point to it. It will be a good however old.

PPP

Atcham Tower
2nd Apr 2006, 13:53
Isn't this clip included in "The First of the Few"? Also, there is some Henshaw (?) footage in the documentary Ferry Pilot.

fernytickles
2nd Apr 2006, 15:38
I was also told that Henshaw does some of the low flying in First of the Few. Think there's som brief footage of Churchill meeting him in 1941 on the Pathe News film archive website

Flying Lawyer
2nd Apr 2006, 16:31
Sorry for going slightly off topic, but -

I think it's a disgrace that Alex Henshaw's numerous contributions to British aviation over many years were never honoured with more than a paltry MBE.
That's the sort of award they give long-serving lollypop ladies these days, while pop-singers and athletes who win medals in the Olympics are made anything up to Knights and Dames. :rolleyes:

Although now a little frail, he's still as bright as a button - to such an extent it's very easy to forget his advanced years when not face to face. During a telephone conversation just a few months ago, I asked if he could email something to me. A chuckle at the other end of the phone was followed by "Email? Dear me, I've just turned 92. I don't use email. I'll post it to you."

http://www.inkblotters.com/spitfire/images/Churchill-Hensha.jpg
Castle Bromwich, Summer 1941

A delightful, fascinating man - truly one of the greats of aviation.

FL

BTW, last year, he donated his papers, photographs, trophies and art collection to the RAF Museum, and funded a curator to catalogue the collection. He wants future generations to know about the contribution made by civilian pilots in the country's hour of need.
I don't know far the work has got, but I've no doubt the exhibits will be worth seeing.

Fokkerwokker
3rd Apr 2006, 00:08
FL

If you wish to go off topic in that direction I am 110% behind you.

Alex Henshaw deserves better.

How do we go about it?

FW

Flying Lawyer
3rd Apr 2006, 06:32
We'd never be able raise enough money to buy an Honour - recent Press reports suggest that route now involves fantastic sums - so we'd have to use the official system.

Anyone can nominate anyone for an Honour - whether they get one is a different matter.

Details of the process here: UK Honours system (http://www.honours.gov.uk/nominate/step.asp)

The final decision is made by the Prime Minister so, as there wouldn't be any populist voter appeal, I suspect there would have to be very high volume of nominations to have any realistic prospect of success.
The process takes anything up to a couple of years so, if we're going to try, it would be wise to move quickly, emphasising his age in the nomination forms - writing separate letters direct to No 10 and/or to aviation minded MPs.
I'm sure the aviation organisations - RAeS, RAeC, Guild of Air Pilots - would give their support, and there are enough aviators and aviation enthusiasts on Pprune to generate a large amount of support if people could be persuaded to fill in the form.

I'm happy to start the ball rolling - but it's only worth doing if we're confident we can generate enough nominations.

Anyone else think it's worth trying?

Tudor

foxmoth
3rd Apr 2006, 07:16
Go for it FL:ok:

BEagle
3rd Apr 2006, 07:22
I agree with you, Tudor old chum!

And let's not forget Alex's amazing 1939 UK - South Africa and back record-breaking solo flights in the Mew Gull which still stand to this day!.

'Sigh for a Merlin' is good, 'Flight of the Mew Gull' is amazing. My 25 year old well-thumbed copy is falling to bits though!

A good summary of Alex's career can be seen at http://www.wood-ditton.org.uk/alexhenshaw.htm .

Wunper
3rd Apr 2006, 07:49
You only have to read what the great man Jeffrey Quill wrote about Alex Henshaw to get a handle on how he was regarded by his peers. I forget the exact reference in Quill’s book “Spitfire” but he describes him as “an aviation phenomenon”…
FL where do I sign?
W

treadigraph
3rd Apr 2006, 08:12
I'll back you as well... great idea.

Treadders

NutherA2
3rd Apr 2006, 16:59
Me too:ok:

Farmer 1
3rd Apr 2006, 17:27
With the current number of members, for as little as £8.75 each we could buy him a seat in the House of Lords.

Abbeville
3rd Apr 2006, 18:59
Count me in :ok: :ok: :ok:

A

seafuryfan
3rd Apr 2006, 20:56
My thoughts entirely. Alex deserves much better recogntion for his services to the country! Count me in.

Happy to act as a relay on the Flypast forum if required.

Flying Lawyer
3rd Apr 2006, 21:06
Good idea seafuryfan. :ok:

Could you post a link to this thread so we can gauge if there's likely to be enough support.

Thanks
Tudor

foxmoth
3rd Apr 2006, 21:16
just put a link on the Flyer forums as well.

Saab Dastard
3rd Apr 2006, 21:18
With you 100% on this FL!

Lord Henshaw of Castle Bromwich, eh?

:ok:

grow45
3rd Apr 2006, 21:28
Count me in as well

g45

RPSmith
4th Apr 2006, 00:44
Count me in - wonderful man, amazing achievements, higher award long overdue.

Roger Smith.

ChrisVJ
4th Apr 2006, 00:46
I'll sign up, some one has to be an example for us 60 year old sproggets.

rodthesod
4th Apr 2006, 07:21
I'm in:ok:

Tim Mills
4th Apr 2006, 08:02
And me, great idea.

TheKentishFledgling
4th Apr 2006, 10:14
I'm in too.

Flight of the Mew Gull is IMHO the best aviation book around.

tKF

Farmer 1
4th Apr 2006, 10:55
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y277/Robert47/092802.jpg

Thought this might interest you, chaps.

Tempest
5th Apr 2006, 13:00
Excellent idea and IMHO Neville Duke has also been overlooked for his tremendous contribution to aviation in this country.

Opssys
5th Apr 2006, 15:31
Count me in.
So far consensus. But I suggest someone better give Cringe and Co a Nudge as they seem to live in 'What Cockpit' and possibly haven't seen this thread
and maximum participation is required if 'PPRuNe Power' is going to acheive anything.
DIH

Mr_Grubby
5th Apr 2006, 17:44
Opssys

Count me in.

Clint.

Opssys
9th Apr 2006, 15:12
From a Web Site close to my wallet :{ :
http://www.cue-dih.co.uk/site_info/misc_files/19800505percivalmewgull810.jpg

Algernon Lacey
12th Apr 2006, 15:14
Count me in too FL!!
My wife bought me a copy of 'Ferry Pilot' for Christmas and there is some excellent footage of AH's Spitfire display. Along with lots of other goodies like a ferry trip in a Whitley, highly recommended!!!

PPRuNe Pop
12th Apr 2006, 17:56
That aeroplane was probably the one that Tom Storey and Martin Barraclough built at Redhill, or bought it into Redhill - can't really remember. But.........it turned a few heads. Must have been about early to middle 70's - I think. :confused:

PPP

treadigraph
12th Apr 2006, 18:20
It is indeed PPP, would have been 1978 I think. After several accidents it is now flying in the "go faster" Alex Henshaw config, but I confess that I do prefer the original Edgar Percival design, as rebuilt by Storey and Barraclough - a prettier looking aeroplane I think.

cambioso
4th May 2006, 22:02
Following my original post I have now (thanks to your good advice) got my copy of the "Ferry Pilot" DVD. It has just the footage of the AH Spitfire display that I wanted to see....thanks very much guys.
What an absolutely superb example of his art form..... I know that dear old Ray(within the rigorous limitations required with these old engines/airframes)was undoubtedly the greatest modern day Spitfire display pilot, but to see the (all too short!) unlimited display by AH was amazing and just as he described it in "Sigh for a Merlin" - Fantastic!
I must try harder with my Midget Mustang!!
Thanks again for the advice chaps.

Camb.

skua
5th May 2006, 20:18
Great books, and I agree that Quill, Duke and he have all been wantonly overlooked.

Skua

Cameratwo
7th May 2006, 06:32
I'm in too.
Flight of the Mew Gull is IMHO the best aviation book around.
tKF

It would make a great movie, especially considering the aircraft still exists.

G-KEST
14th May 2006, 17:44
Belated support for the idea of nominating Alex Henshaw for an award. He is one of my personal aviation greats.
Cheers,
Trapper 69
PS - Talking about awards I was recently in New Zealand, the birthplace of Nancy Wake, a WW2 SOE heroine whose exploits with the French resistanhce were legendary stuff. She has received honours from many countries but, up to now, not from her own. At long last the NZ RSA, which is the equivalent of our own British Legion, has awarded her their gold badge of lifetime membership. Nothing as yet as a result of NZ goernment recommendation. Ironic is it not?

Brewster Buffalo
14th May 2006, 19:50
I'll support the cause perhaps the RAF and the UK aviation industry could help as well?