PDA

View Full Version : Army recruiting RAF Av/El engineers

Talk Wrench
31st Mar 2006, 19:54
Today, a REME Apache tech mate of mine indulged in conversation about the Army and how the Apache was dead good and all that.
I pointed out to him that around '94, '95 the Army promulgated a campaign to recruit RAF Av/El engineers into the Apache fold. The rationale at the time being that there was insufficient "high tech and modern A/C knowledge" within the REME whom were attached to the AAC.
I distinctly remember a few people applying to leave the RAF on the proviso that they would re-train as a soldier within the REME and would rapidly gain their 3rd stripe within a year of Army service.
He denied all knowledge of this before berating myself on the superiority of the REME / AAC, because RAF engineers know f**k all about avionics and helicopters blah blah blah:yuk:
The question I ask to appease the poor disillusioned soul, is, did this recruitment campaign happen, or was it just a figment of my typically RAF imagination??????????????
If you could settle the argument, brilliant. Otherwise, can anyone inflame it :\
Thanks
Talk Wrench

FireAxe
31st Mar 2006, 20:19
I remember the scheme running in the late 90's to recruit Engineers over to the REME. Am afraid I cannot recall much more than that except that anyone I spoke to at the time about it would not join the Army for any money/promotion!!!!!
Would be interesting if anyone out there has done it and can give any feedback on their experiences.

ZH875
31st Mar 2006, 20:20
It happened, but there was very few volunteers, rumour had it there was 3. The offer of a possible 3rd stripe, was not worth running round a field playing silly b*ggers, and no hotels either.

NutLoose
31st Mar 2006, 22:49
I believe the Navy has been offering RAF Engineers seconded onto their Merlins 10 grand to transfer over to the Navy...............

Inginear
31st Mar 2006, 23:33
I remember the trawl, and the fact that very few applied. I was told that after the sifting only one person accepted the offer and that soon after they applied to re-join the RAF as the 3rd stipe did not appear as advertised.

There was also a rumour of RAF techies being seconded but i believe that never happened as the REME stepped up to the challenge (apparently);)