PDA

View Full Version : ASIC Vs AVID

multi_engined
31st Mar 2006, 11:44
Hi,
I wasn't sure where exactly to post this so please re-direct me if this is the incorrect place...

By accident when I was applying for my Australian student pilot licence I accidentally applied for an AVID (Aviation Identification) card rather than the ASIC card. I called up CASA several times to change my application to the ASIC from the AVID and they asked me to send an additional $95 for the processing fee just to get the application changed over :eek: That is another $95 on top of the $145 I have already paid for all the security checks to be carried out. I thought this must have been some kind of a joke. On the application you pay $145 regardless of whether you are applying for the ASIC or the AVID card... so essentially why is it such a big deal just to get it changed when there are no other security checks involved in the changeover...

Now what I want to know is what is the actual difference between the two security cards? I know that the ASIC is only valid for two years and the AVID being five... Is it really that much of a hassle just getting by with an AVID for the PPL and CPL training and then getting an ASIC later on?

If anyone else has had the same issue or been through the same thing can you please shed some light on this issue!

Regards,
ME

Thermal Bandit
31st Mar 2006, 12:06
Where are you doing your training?

You only need an ASIC if you require assess to the secure area of airports where there are RPT operations, I suspect that sooner or later you will require an ASIC, talk to your instructors.

QNH1013.2
31st Mar 2006, 21:38
Um, I think you've missing the point that you MUST have an AVID to fly!

Since December.

pall
31st Mar 2006, 22:20
QNH is right. No AVID no fly. ASIC only required if you access the security area of said airports. In flight training you could conceivably visit such airports, arrive and depart without accessing security restricted areas.

Your flight school should give you advice.

multi_engined
31st Mar 2006, 23:59
At the moment I am doing my training at Bankstown, Sydney. How is it no AVID no fly? I have been flying without an AVID! I should have mine very soon as all the security checks have now been completed...

What are the restricted areas that an ASIC will allow access? I should just travel with someone who has an ASIC on the fly-aways just to be safe!

dude65
1st Apr 2006, 00:53
Mate
Don't fly into an airport that requires an ASIC if you don't have one. You don't want the terror police dragging you kicking and screaming from your aircraft. You can find which airports are "security controled" on CASA's website.

It also depends what you're going to do with your licence. If you want to fly to places like Canberra or Ballina you will need the ASIC. If you're flying out of Bankstown I think you'll find you need the ASIC. Also,the AVID is valid for 5 years.The ASIC only 2. More $$$ to keep the ASIC currrent.

Non Normal
1st Apr 2006, 04:05
Now what I want to know is what is the actual difference between the two security cards? I know that the ASIC is only valid for two years and the AVID being five... Is it really that much of a hassle just getting by with an AVID for the PPL and CPL training and then getting an ASIC later on?

Have a read of CASA's website and most things related to this issue will be revealed.

OZBUSDRIVER
1st Apr 2006, 06:52
Pall and QNH 1013.2, I suggest you two require some remedial educating. You are both wrong! You only require EITHER an ASIC OR an AVID. ASIC for access to security controlled airports like Mildura or Windorah(they realy are kidding, if the refueler is the same Rosie I knew from years ago there will be NO security problems in WDH- She bounced our dozer driver clean out of the bar. He was Willie Carnes BIG brother! Great girl ::) ) AVID for identification purposes to prove you have passed said security checks.
My information has it that the ASIC and AVID require identical checks. The difference being a turf war between two arms of the same department of transport. Sooner more than later the two cards will be combined. The up side is that the licence is issued until revoked or cancelled. The down side is the security check that allows you to exercise your PRIVELAGE is going to cost you every two to five yearsand without either bit of plastic you will not be allowed to fly. Originally we were going to have to carry both bits of plastic, be thankful for small miracles that someone saw enough sence.

Altimeters
2nd Apr 2006, 08:22
[QUOTE=dude65]If you're flying out of Bankstown I think you'll find you need the ASIC. QUOTE]

No you don't.

Non Normal
2nd Apr 2006, 08:41
Um, I think you've missing the point that you MUST have an AVID to fly!

Since December.

That is not the case. If you have an ASIC, you don't have to have an AVID.

VH-XXX
3rd Apr 2006, 10:24
Can someone who *actually* knows please post.

I saw a Police Officer with an ASIC, can he fly a plane? (red-herring)

If a pilot has an ASIC, does this mean that they don't need a photo licence, thus no actual piece of paper saying that they have a pilot's licence?

If I'm asked by authorities for my pilot's licence, do I just pull out my ASIC? Doubt it...

Does the green book (without photo in it) and an ASIC suffice?

If you've had the Police check and got an AVID, why would you need an ASIC?

I "think" you need both; with the 1 (one) police check for the both... someone who knows please correct me!

You don't need an ASIC for Moorabbin (unless u r in a particular area); not sure about Bankers; similar I suspect...

Non Normal
3rd Apr 2006, 10:36
If a pilot has an ASIC, does this mean that they don't need a photo licence, thus no actual piece of paper saying that they have a pilot's licence?

Huh? They still have a pilot's licence, of course!

If I'm asked by authorities for my pilot's licence, do I just pull out my ASIC?

No. See above. You still have the licence. Present licence AND ASIC.

Does the green book (without photo in it) and an ASIC suffice?

YES.

If you've had the Police check and got an AVID, why would you need an ASIC?

Different purposes. Read CASA's website.

I "think" you need both

If you have an AVID, you still need to get an ASIC if you want to fly into a security controlled aerodrome. If you have an ASIC, that's sufficient and you don't need to have an AVID.

Have you tried to read CASA's website? It's pretty clearly explained.

In fact, read this page on CASA's website.

http://www.casa.gov.au/fcl/licence/index.htm

Here's the relevant part for you.

You hold a current CASA non-photo licence

After 31 December 2005, if you operate an aircraft in Australian Territory and you need to hold a licence issued by CASA, you must have a current AVID or ASIC or must have applied for an aviation security status check.

If you do not already have an ASIC, you can apply to CASA for an AVID or ASIC using the application form 639. This will include a new photo licence.

Alternatively, you can apply for an ASIC through any other ASIC issuing authority. In that case a photo licence will not be issued or required.

multi_engined
4th Apr 2006, 11:37
Guys, no more dramas! I rang the "brains trust" at CASA and found someone that actually has a brain and can actually sort things out without resorting to passing it onto someone else. They are going to switch my application from AVID to ASIC without slogging me with extra charges that were which I deem very uneccesary.

As per the informationa above, you only need an ASIC to access certain parts of an airport. However for example say if you fly to coffs harbour for the day with an AVID card... you land, re-fuel your airplane then decidd to make a trip into town to grab something to eat: No dramas! Until you want to get back into the airport... that's when you need an ASIC card, however my instructor said you can gain access back in as long as you are with someone who has an ASIC card providing that you have an AVID card.

Hope this helps and thank you for the replies

kookabat
4th Apr 2006, 11:50
however my instructor said you can gain access back in as long as you are with someone who has an ASIC card providing that you have an AVID card

Uhhh.... so what about our passengers then?

RV6
4th Apr 2006, 13:07
Kookabat Surely you've realised from this whole lengthy process that the pax aren't a security problem - we are :mad:

ToucheTurtle
5th Apr 2006, 07:47
Like most people out there, I too had problems with my ASIC/AVID.

After a number of calls to CASA trying to find out what was happening, I was told that I had applied for an AVID, not an ASIC (My fault I guess, for not keeping a copy of the form I sent to them).

Anyway, when I asked what needed to be done to upgrade to an ASIC, I was asked about my flying situation, by two different casa people, and was told both times that I am NOT ALLOWED to apply for an ASIC because I have no need for FREQUENT access to a secure area of a security controlled airport (check wording in quote from casa website below). Apparently only those that need FREQUENT access can apply for the ASIC.

Quote:
Aviation Security Identity Card (ASIC)
You need a valid ASIC if you need frequent access to a secure area of a security controlled airport that has Regular Public Transport (RPT) operations. An ASIC is valid for two years before being renewed.

I was told that if I need to fly into a security controlled airport, I need to ring that airports security department and arrange for someone to meet me at the aircraft and show them my AVID (which I now have) to get me through the secure area.

The bugger of a thing is that I do need to fly into security controlled airports, it's just that my need, at the moment, is not FREQUENT.

What defines FREQUENT I asked casa, and they couldn't tell me!!:mad:

Seeing how 99.9% of ASIC/AVID talk here seems to be about ASIC's I assume that most people have applied for the ASIC, I would like to know if anyone has had a similar experience to myself, and been stuck with an AVID, and how many people applied for and received, an ASIC even they will hardly ever, if not never, go into a security controlled airport.

Touche

Susheel
6th Apr 2006, 04:03
Well, i guess this wouldn't make a difference to the topic but I have been waiting for 7 months for both the ASIC and AVID ( applied mid Spetember 2005). And by right I can't fly anymore till i get either or cards after March 31st 2006 which was the extended deadline from the original Dec 31st 2005 one.

When contacted, CASA just said as long as you have applied for ASIC then you can continue with your flying. Don't know where that is stated, but i guess ill have to take their word for it.

multi_engined
6th Apr 2006, 06:10
CASA really are up in arms, I really don't quite understand. My class one medical was issued in less than a week which was great, how long does it take to complete the security checks? I have been waiting so long and even when I did call them they said they received it three months after I had lodged my application!! Apparently they are only just finishing my security checks four months later!

How could they actually say no you can't have an ASIC? I was told that initially too because I was only studying for my CPL and wouldn't need access to those restricted parts of the airport, but at some airports such as Coffs and Bathurst, you cannot get back in without an ASIC card.

I am now waiting for my ASIC card to arrive...

Hopefully they will sort this out soon

Over and gout
6th Apr 2006, 06:37
Ive been waiting 8 months for the AVID, 4 months for the ASIC and 6 weeks for my class 1 medical certificate. Called & emailed CASA many times. I hope they are enjoying all the money I've given them.....:mad:

L J R
6th Apr 2006, 21:57
Has everyone who has a difficulty in getting said card actually lodged a complaint via the CASA comlaints e-mail supplied on their web site?. It will no doubt lead to little satisfaction individually, but collectively may give CASA an insight into the total disaster that the issuing procedure has been. (I did say MAY give an insight!).

If you have not lodged a one line compaint, may I encourage you to do so. It will take less than a minute. And whilst it will probably not achieve much, at least the stats will be there for prosperity if something is actually done to look into the scope of problem.

I too applied Nov last year and am 'awaiting for Qantas to contact me' - to Quote CASA help service.

Additionally, would everyone who has applied and not yet got theirs simply acknowledge on this thread - or point me & others onto one that does.

airamerica
13th Apr 2006, 05:37
Does anyone know of where to find a list of the discqualifying criteria relating to offecnces that apply to either of the checks or time frame after a conviction is spent.
Driving offeces including suspension of drivers licence due to exceeding a speed limit by a considerable margin, for eg?
AA

Geeham
15th Apr 2006, 05:41
What's going on with those prices?
I recently applied for a student pilot license and ASIC and it cost $210($60 of which was the spl) ?? :hmm: