PDA

View Full Version : Aircraft crash near Archerfield

OPSH24
31st Mar 2006, 00:49
Plane crashes into creek
Rosanne Barrett
March 31, 2006
A LIGHT aircraft has crashed into a creek on Brisbane's south side.
The plane went down at about 11am today into a creek off Kessel's Road behind the John Tonge centre in Cooper's Plains.
The crash site is not far from Archerfield Airport, a busy operations centre for light planes.
It was unclear exactly whether there were any casualties, or what type of aircraft was involved.
Kessel's Road has been closed between Orange Grove Road and Troughton Roads in Cooper's Plains.
ANYBODY GOT ANY INFO ???

THE IRON MAIDEN
31st Mar 2006, 01:15
Still not too many deatils;

ONE person has died in a light-plane crash in Brisbane.

Police said the plane went down on an empty block of land bounded by Orange Grove Road, Kessels Road and Middle Street at Coopers Plains, in Brisbane's south, shortly after 11am (AEST). No other details were available.

Chocks Away
31st Mar 2006, 02:45
... was a small "home-built" and when it happened, from our place we could see the cloud base was down to the deck where it happened...:ugh:

QNH1013.2
31st Mar 2006, 05:29
It's all over the papers news.com.au for example.

Single pilot fatality. Experimental, Lanceair 320 from memory (could have been 360 - sorry can't remember).

Missed the road and houses and hit the trees, although they say he probably deliberately missed the road to save people's lives.

Good work and thanks to the 5 people or so that tried to get him out that injured themselves on the fuel and wreckage.

A storm was in the area yes.

Ando1Bar
31st Mar 2006, 05:54
Expect the fact it was homebuilt and experimental to get a heap of media coverage.

ratso
31st Mar 2006, 06:38
VH BST Lancair
Looks as though lined up on busy road and turned away to miss traffic on road
may the man R.I.P

goddamit
31st Mar 2006, 11:00
From news reports it was a Lancair 320. I have a bit of experience in these & I've always said that they're great planes aimed at private pilots but need commercial experience. The aircraft is awesome to fly. They come in over the fence at 90-100 kts & have a high wing loading. Most fatalities would be from falling short of a field after an engine failure & trying to glide just that bit further. They have nasty stall characteristics & slow down real quick. Last the cabin is not very big. From what I saw from the news & the witnesses it appears on the surface to what had happened. Sympathies to the family.

QNH1013.2
31st Mar 2006, 21:45
C'mon 90 to 100 knots is way too fast for a Lanceair over the fence. It's not a Chieftain.

Experimental Regulations set stalling speeds at approximately 60 knots maximum; you don't need to come "over the fence" at 90-100 knots to land a Lanceair.

Comments like that and such as "that's probably what happened" are totally irrelevant.

There were storms in the area at the time, etc, etc. So what, did he fall short of the runway or road??? One could only assume that he aimed for the road and "possibly" avoided causing fatalities by landing elsewhere... which is what the witnesses all appear to be saying. But that's all hear-say...

RIP. It's unlucky that it was an experimental; it could have happened to any aircraft, certified or not.

the wizard of auz
31st Mar 2006, 22:06
Hey, you ever look close at one of them?.
I would be very scared flying one under a hundred knots with that slippery looking wing. and there isn't much of it either.:eek:

Wingsfalloff
31st Mar 2006, 23:43
QNH 1013.2

C'mon 90 to 100 knots is way too fast for a Lanceair over the fence. It's not a Chieftain.

You can be my wingman any day! It's spelt LANCAIR, no E. but I'm sure you saw that written on the panel when you were doing your 70 knot approaches. Its not a Chieften, but the one i flew was only 30 knots faster. Im with Goddamit!

goddamit
31st Mar 2006, 23:53
Hey Qnh don't tell me how to fly one. If you go & fly one over the fence at 70 kts, you won't last very long. I've trained people in these things too. According to witnesses & the media the aircraft was attempting to fly for Kessels Rd & then spun(looked like a stalled autorotation) at low level. Assuming what the media relayed was accurate of course.

captwawa
1st Apr 2006, 02:08
ive flown them b4 too, no less than 90 kts from what i remember, and 100 was a good speed.. Funny that lands faster than a raisbeck Kingair, but thats the lancair.. i know of many people that have died in those planes..
:-( my rating for the lancair isnt very high... tho they are a nice plane to fly.

Experimental regs,, i really dont know wot they are, but what about a MiG15 , L39 , T28, P51, ETC ETC ETC they are all experiemental, i cant see them stalling at 60kts..

RIP

dude65
1st Apr 2006, 06:49
It's not real flash that some of you blokes have turned the death of this guy into a pissing competition.

Pull your heads in.

boeingwest
1st Apr 2006, 09:34
It's not real flash that some of you blokes have turned the death of this guy into a pissing competition.
Pull your heads in.

Here here! Where is our Woomera? :uhoh:

RIP buddy...

185skywagon
2nd Apr 2006, 07:10
The pilot was the father of a friend of ours, so I have just learnt.
If he was anything like his children, he would have been a highly intelligent and gifted bloke.
RIP.

Sunfish
2nd Apr 2006, 07:54
An acquaintance of mine, former head of the fleet air arm and an extremely experienced instructor, died in a modified turbine powered Lancair. He was trying to help the owner sort it out, they deliberately stalled it three time s over the Bellarine Peninsula and the last time they couldn't get it out. A very great loss to aviation.

LookinDown
2nd Apr 2006, 08:15
When was that accident sunfish?

Brian Abraham
2nd Apr 2006, 11:56
You'll find it on ATSB web LookinDown.

QNH1013.2
3rd Apr 2006, 00:34
"Experimental regs,, i really dont know wot they are, but what about a MiG15 , L39 , T28, P51, ETC ETC ETC they are all experiemental, i cant see them stalling at 60kts.."

Captwawa, I swear you know absolutely NOTHING about experimental. Read the regs or keep your trap shut.

Who care's how it's spelt, with or without an E, a typo, however it's amazing how everyone only becomes an expert on this site when an aircraft crashes. I bet if I look in the heli forum there will literally be a string of pilots who have autorotated the rotorway and have an expert opinion on it, after last week's fatality.

How many hours do YOU have my Captwawa in a Lancair 320?

PM me if you have any further crap to write and I'll respond, rather than humiliate yourself on here.

Woomera
3rd Apr 2006, 00:39
I can smell the excess of testosterone here.:yuk:

You lot should know better:suspect:

Woomera (Eastern States)