PDA

View Full Version : Best Flying Jobs

Dry_Twotter
30th Mar 2006, 12:37
Who out there has the best flying job in Oz, or neighbouring islands (NZ, PNG, Solomon's, TAS! etc). I consider my current job flying around in bug smashers in Northern WA a fantastic challenge, especially with all this bad whether we've been coping lately. My friend believes his dirt ops in a dash 8 takes the cake.
This thread is a competition by the way!

troppo
30th Mar 2006, 19:38
In '94 I had a job flying a Grumman Widgeon out of Rabaul in PNG but it turned to **** when the volcanoes erupted. At the time I reckon it would have been one of the best jobs anywhere in the world. :{
Who remembers Tales of the Golden Monkey?

currawong
30th Mar 2006, 20:38
Don't you mean Golden Rivet? :E

turbantime
30th Mar 2006, 23:02
Sorry, have to brag....

Lifestyle wise, my gig is great. I work max 4 days/week, weekends/public holidays off, no overnights, no back of the clock night flying and get paid what I'm entitled to. :ok:

The flying side is fun too, get plenty of weather to deal with.

Ronnie Honker
30th Mar 2006, 23:27
ME
I get to fly WHENEVER I feel like it, to wherever I want - and always in First Class.

I use every opportunity to screw pilots, F/A's, and any other staff I set my sights on.
And I get paid $6 million a year for the pleasure.
Can you guess who I am?

compressor stall
30th Mar 2006, 23:50
Lining up for take off. That's the wiper on the right and the pitot at the bottom. :E

http://www.remoteadventures.com/samsonberg.jpg

tinpis
31st Mar 2006, 00:07
Troppo obviously not a Ranger powered widgeon was it one of the old TATCO kiwi ones?
John J**** had one in Cairns for a while
What were you doing with it in Rabaul?

troppo
31st Mar 2006, 00:41
Tin,
Lycoming, Tatco-Mt Cook-Seabee Air etc. Was ZK-AVM, it's now back in Kiwi with Salt Air under same rego I think.
The company in Rabaul had interests in coastal shipping, expeditions/tours/travel agency etc but the widgeon operation was based upon a UNDP project (read grant) to service the cartaret, mortlock, pinipel and green islands.
They also had another well known relic...P2-MEX that was a pleasure to fly when it was serviceable. Folklore says that it was an Air America plane and it was the last out plane out of Saigon at the end of the vietnam war...it had an endurance of nearly 10 hours.

SmoothCriminal
31st Mar 2006, 00:54
GRUMMAN FLYING BOATS

Simply The Best :ok:

Smoothie....

troppo
31st Mar 2006, 00:58
did my initial multi engine seaplane/floating hull on UC1 Twin Bee...go look that up!

tinpis
31st Mar 2006, 00:59
Thanks Troppo....April 30th 31 years ago....tin was relaxing in a bar in Patpong road after another interesting trip..........
But thats another story...:rolleyes:

Mr.Buzzy
31st Mar 2006, 05:59
Who remembers Tales of the Golden Monkey?

Yes! Now that was a TV show! I think of that show whenever I hand a chocolate bar to a cranky FO!

Glad some of us are cultured troppo!

bbbbbbbbbbzzzzzzzzzzzzbbjakezzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzz

podbreak
31st Mar 2006, 06:48
twin otters on floats in the maldives has gotta take a cake from somewhere...

Rabbit 1
31st Mar 2006, 07:04
Casa 212, Central Pacific. 13 atolls and home every night. Lousy money but pleasurable and easy flying.

zakpeegoodus
31st Mar 2006, 08:03
- Interesting how seaplane jobs are getting a fair mention here! For flying my most adventurous was in the Canadian Yukon. Bares, moose and mountains!
Want lunch? just set down on a lake,cast your rod and cook up some fresh salmon.
twin otters on floats in the maldives has gotta take a cake from somewhere...
Well yeah for the money, but certainly not for the lifestyle.
‘was relaxing in a bar in Patpong road after another interesting trip...’
That’s about my present job description! Flying floats in Thailand is a hard job to beat! Great scenery, social life and money….

Pinky the pilot
31st Mar 2006, 08:18
Any of the flying I did with Douglas Airways, Simbu and North Coast Aviation in PNG!!:ok: :ok: As far as I'm concerned the worst day (bar one!!) in any of the aforementioned beat the best day I've had here in Oz!!
And that includes the two months (for 190 hrs flying time) I spent flying a Cherokee Archer chasing crows (the feathered variety) out of some Almond orchards at Lindsay Point in Victoria. All flown at tree top level with some very interesting moments!!

You only live twice. Once when
you're born. Once when
you've looked death in the face.

podbreak
1st Apr 2006, 03:49
Well yeah for the money, but certainly not for the lifestyle.

3-4 days a week of relaxing short sectors, plenty of time to surf and dive in whats gotta be one of the nicest places in the world, a good social life (albeit with a few snobs) and good renumeration... thats a good lifestyle if you can deal with unchallenging flying...

tinpis
18th Apr 2006, 06:05
And the prize for the best flying job goes to...

*fumbles envelope puts on glasses*

Troppo !

Wanderin_dave
18th Apr 2006, 07:33
Pinky, if you've found somethnig that beats chasing crows i gotta get in on it!!! I did 3 months and 270 hours of that bird(and pilot)scaring stuff. Brilliant!!! All in an Archer, CD player, uniform was shorts and shoes. Oh and the swimming pool next to the runway for all the times i wasn't hearding feathers!
Only time i've jumped out of plane out of breath and bent double laughing! Oh and of course, always the chance to start chasing the workers when the birds were away!
Good times!!!! Now where's Tom's phone number? Wonder if there's a vacancy next season..... :D

TwinNDB
18th Apr 2006, 08:33
Geeze, here i was thinking that TAS was part of AUS! Was last time i checked! :rolleyes:

TurboOtter
20th Apr 2006, 09:27
Could Ronnie Honker be the great Branson himself??'
Don't know about screwing pilots, their so far up themselves there isn't room to get my little fella in there aswell:E