PDA

View Full Version : Anyone seen my HTD? (NATS)

Keepitsimplestupid
29th Mar 2006, 17:18
Here's a funny thing. No HTD paid this month, I thought the ballot didn't close until tomorrow!! Do they know something we don't?

DTY/LKS
29th Mar 2006, 18:06
This was coz the result was to be out by 22nd march & therefore would be included in pay this month. The rumour is that they are waiting for the PCS ballot result which is due on the 30th. So where is our money for March???? The people who claim the max HTD have lost out on £45.

Don't Tell Him Pike
29th Mar 2006, 21:14
The people who claim the max HTD have lost out on £45.

No you haven't. If the vote is to scrap it, you get the bung next month. If the vote's to keep it you get March's and April's next month.

Me Me Me Me
30th Mar 2006, 09:32
This was coz the result was to be out by 22nd march & therefore would be included in pay this month. The rumour is that they are waiting for the PCS ballot result which is due on the 30th. So where is our money for March???? The people who claim the max HTD have lost out on £45.

Just under £45 gross.. so only about 20 quid in reality. Anyway, if you got it this month and the vote came out "yes" they'd just have to take it back from you next month. Makes sense to me to wait and see.

radar707
30th Mar 2006, 09:50
My take on this is that the company has no right to withold a payment from us that is part of our terms and conditions purely on the basis that the payments would cease from 28th Feb should a majority vote "Yes" for the buyout.

If a "yes" vote goes through, then the money paid in March could be removed from the April payment thereby making sure that we don't get anything extra.

I'd like to know what the union position is on this (my rep is off at the moment) because as far as I can see my terms and conditions of employment have been breached since I have not received money the company is contractually obliged to pay me on a monthly basis in arrears (not 2 months in arrears)

Me Me Me Me
30th Mar 2006, 11:33
My take on this is that the company has no right to withold a payment from us that is part of our terms and conditions purely on the basis that the payments would cease from 28th Feb should a majority vote "Yes" for the buyout.

If a "yes" vote goes through, then the money paid in March could be removed from the April payment thereby making sure that we don't get anything extra.

I'd like to know what the union position is on this (my rep is off at the moment) because as far as I can see my terms and conditions of employment have been breached since I have not received money the company is contractually obliged to pay me on a monthly basis in arrears (not 2 months in arrears)

Really don't see it worthwhile to get knickers in a twist over such a small payment...

Anyway... It's a "Yes" So your payment is correct.

anotherthing
30th Mar 2006, 12:33
Me me me,

yes it is a small amount, however it's the principle. Radar707 is 100% correct in that respect.

Hmm, respect - a word the management do not seem to know when it comes to the workforce.

The small payment is almost 50% of the pay rise we got in January if you claim the full HTD. Pity we did not know about it when we voted for the pay issue.

Me Me Me Me
30th Mar 2006, 13:21
Me me me,

yes it is a small amount, however it's the principle. Radar707 is 100% correct in that respect.

Hmm, respect - a word the management do not seem to know when it comes to the workforce.

The small payment is almost 50% of the pay rise we got in January if you claim the full HTD. Pity we did not know about it when we voted for the pay issue.

I'm not actually sure it is correct. I may be wrong but I don't think there is any direct reference to home to duty payment in a NATS contract. I'm happy to be proven wrong on that... but I would suggest it's merely custom and practice and not actually a legal entitlement. NATS could, after all, have just told us they were ceasing it with no lump sum. As long as they give 3 months notice there's nothing to stop it.

So all in all I'd suggest just taking the money next month and forgetting all about it :D

Not Long Now
30th Mar 2006, 13:44
Where does all this "management can just stop paying HTD and there's nothing that can be done.." come from.
As far as I'm concerned it's part of my terms and conditions the same as my pay rate and working hours. Why was there no talk around the pay ballot that management could just "cut our pay by half and double our working hours, so we should be greatful for anything we can get"?
Anyone care to quote a staff handbook condition or otherwise to put this to bed?

Me Me Me Me
30th Mar 2006, 14:00
Where does all this "management can just stop paying HTD and there's nothing that can be done.." come from.
As far as I'm concerned it's part of my terms and conditions the same as my pay rate and working hours. Why was there no talk around the pay ballot that management could just "cut our pay by half and double our working hours, so we should be greatful for anything we can get"?
Anyone care to quote a staff handbook condition or otherwise to put this to bed?

My understanding is that Home to duty is a negotiated allowance and not a term and condition of employment. As such it doesn't come under the banner of "pay related allowances" that get an increase as part of a pay deal.
Any negotiated allowances between management and unions is subject to withrawal by either side at 3 months notice. Wasn't ever likely to happen but just making the point that being indignant at an illegal change to your rights of employment is a little wide of the mark too.

But point is - it doesnt exist anymore anyway!

anotherthing
30th Mar 2006, 15:27
me me me me

You are correct, however in the statement before the ballot papers came out, the management proclaimed that in the event of a 'no' vote, they would not take the HTD away without further negotiation.

That is exactly what they did tho, in anticipation of a 'yes' vote.

Regardless of negotiated allowances, terms and conditions or whatever they effectively lied to us with the above statement.

That, more than anything, is the galling thing. If PCS had not screwed up on the ballot papers, we would have been none the wiser, and the management would not have been proved to have (again) been underhand and deceitful.

The HTD should have been on the table with the pay rise negotiations - we voted without knowing the full picture. That was deceitful by the management or stupid by the union. The january pay rise has almost been halved by taking away HTD.

You say it was subject to withdrawal with 3 months notice - so when did that happen??

Indignant maybe but only because this action is indicative of the way that we are treated by the management.

If they continue to treat the staff (their "main asset" to quote them) in this manner then a lot of things that the ordinary grade ATCO/ATSA/Engineer does out of goodwill (extra sectors for example) without extra pay will soon be stopped.

There is already one person I know of who is so p***ed off with the way that they are being treated over this and relocation that they are dropping their extra sector. This is set to happen more often.

The company will not be able to make any savings if it has to get in AAVAs or even close sectors because of lack of validations.

If they are not careful, the 'world leader in ATM' will soon be in such a bad way that the company will be increasingly difficult to remain a viable option. That will be a sad state of affairs that could so easily be avoided.

If bad feeling continues the way it seems to be, then I would not be surprised to see a vote of no confidence in the board. Things do not feel at all good at the moment within this company.

We should be one of the world leaders in ATM, we have some of the best staff to achieve this. Being led by a bunch of donkeys only damages us.

Roger That
30th Mar 2006, 17:30
This is better covered in the NATS forum but the deal and timing of payments was agreed with the NTUS in advance.