PDA

View Full Version : MATZ - stub dimensions

BA Baracus
29th Mar 2006, 14:24
Could anyone explain to me why:
a) why there is a stub and (more specifically) b) why it is those certain dimensions (5nmx4nmx2000ft).

I know it is to provide increased protection but I just think its a rather bizarre shape.

Ta

niknak
29th Mar 2006, 14:39
The "stub" idea is actually quite a good one.

You publish on CAA G/A charts, it looks very official and intimidating, but in actual fact it means nothing to civilian pilots.
The dimensions usually took into account the parameters of the PAR, (Precsion Radar Approach) or TACAN approach to that runway, both required some degree of lattitude as more than one aircraft could be on final at any one time.
(Add four time ninety four for MOD thinking and you've got the answer:p )

I believe that the original concept was to "protect" the final approach of the instrument runway, much as you will see on CAA charts to civilian airports today.
However, as I said, it only indicated a "steer clear" area to military pilots, but only the ATZ applies to civilian avaitors.

matspart3
29th Mar 2006, 15:20
Indeed...protects departures and arrivals

Wouldn't it be good if ATZ's were that size too at airfields where there's a published Instrument Approach procedure?

Number2
29th Mar 2006, 15:41
At least most civilian aviators have the common sense to call before crossing the approach path. To that extent, the pan-handle works.

AlanM
29th Mar 2006, 15:48
At least most civilian aviators have the common sense to call before crossing the approach path.

....mmm - if only that was true at Biggin Hill.

matspart3
29th Mar 2006, 15:52
my point exactly...if it was MATZ-sized (and coloured on the chart) they'd probably call