PDA

View Full Version : UK to use Antinov AN124 - 100 as stop gap to A400M entering service

GengisKhant
29th Mar 2006, 05:59
Russian and Ukrainian Antonov aircraft are to be used as an interim solution to meet shortfalls in European strategic airlift capabilities, pending deliveries of Airbus A400M aircraft, expected to start in 2010. Fifteen NATO countries signed a contract with Ruslan SALIS GmbH, a subsidiary of the Russian company Volga Dnepr, based in Leipzig. UK and 14 other signatories – Canada, the Czech Republic, Germany, Denmark, Finland, France, Hungary, Luxembourg, the Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Slovakia and Slovenia – were joined by Sweden on 23 March. The contract provides for two AN-124-100 aircraft on full-time charter, two more on six days notice and another two on nine days notice. This multinational arrangement allows the countries participating in the Strategic Airlift Interim Solution (SALIS) program to meet commitments to strengthen capabilities in both the NATO and EU frameworks. The contract’s initial duration is for three years with a possibility to extend it further. The aircraft, which were made available from the beginning of February, are drawn from the Russian company, Volga-Dnepr, and Ukraine’s ADB. The countries concerned have committed to using the aircraft for a minimum of 2000 flying hours per year. A single AN-124-100 can transport up to 120 tons of cargo. Volga-Dnepr and ADB already provide AN-124-100 aircraft to support the Afghanistan mission, with weekly sorties from Germany to Afghanistan and back, under contractual arrangements with the Allied Movement Coordination Center at Supreme Headquarters Allied Powers Europe.

GengisK :ok:

Newforest
29th Mar 2006, 06:31
The countries concerned have committed to using the aircraft for a minimum of 2000 flying hours per year.

Very interesting and thanks for informing. Can you clarify whether the 2000 hours is per plane or in total. This would indicate 40 hours flying per week, almost non stop use, or is the contract to pay for 2000 hours whether or not the planes are used?

Smudger552
29th Mar 2006, 06:46
This isn't a national solution but a NATO one that has been under negotiation for about 3 years to my knowledge. UK has been chartering the AN124 for donkeys years, so nothing really new.....Now, if we were to charter the AN225 I would want to be there!!

dallas
29th Mar 2006, 10:26
There were about the same number of chartered airliners as RAF jets at a Oxfordshire base a couple of days ago, including 2 AN-124s.

We're not overstretched - we're just coping with a lot a help...

GengisKhant
29th Mar 2006, 10:45
Newforest...., regret cannot confirm actual contract details - these are confidential, however, my understanding is that it is 2000hrs total all requirements/airframes for each year. Additional hours can be contracted subject to agreed additional funding becoming available. Usual contract conditions would normally call for a minimum contract hire use, with surge demand requirements being met from back-up/call-off contract at additional cost to the primary contract. Not sure if they have made provision for using less hours, but again, this would probably run on a month by month/quarter by quarter basis, with the ability to c/f hours not used to the following month, likewise, the ability to eat into the following months/quarters hours provided frames are available.

Smudger552 ....although pimarily aimed at supporting NATO tasking, aircraft could be called on to support EU National/international requirements where individual nations have a shortfall in airframes to meet essential humanitarian tasking e.g. flood, earthquake relief, thereby releasing AT assets for purely military tasking. It is envisaged that the UK will take-up a major element of the tasking hours.

hobie
29th Mar 2006, 10:53
We have AN-124's coming in or going out , over the old homestead every week, and I must admit everyone here has a soft spot for them ... :p

LFFC
29th Mar 2006, 20:49
I wonder if the AN-124 has any defensive aids? Come to that, I wonder if the Russians and Ukrainians will always let it be used for whatever task NATO wishes?