PDA

View Full Version : Networking

mightymouse111
28th Mar 2006, 08:16
Having done the usual thing as an unemployed low hour pilot of sending Cvs out to every man & dog with little response (no comments re'cover letters, Cv design, etc), I started to read the Balpa web site and it suggests that a good way of getting a job is networking. What it fails to say is how to go about networking.
I know nobody in any airlines. I obviously know the names of those in charge of recruitment, but is ringing them up on a regular basis to hear the same negative replies 'networking' and what separates me from every other wannabe.
How do I get to know people close enough so they do not see me as another wannabe but someone that they would be happy to recommend or take on?
Networking? Is it not another name for those who have existing contacts/friends/family in airlines?

Re-Heat
28th Mar 2006, 09:17
Networking is neither some great social evil nor requires membership of the Lodge; it is simply you being immersed within the industry to as great an extent as possible.

Take for example your flying club - do you take the opportunities to speak to and fly with airline pilots who fly there on their days off? This is not with the aim of a 'friend' helping an application move to the top, but is the invaluable knowledge of the internal happenings, which show through at the interview enabling you to appear as though you really know their culture, strengths, weaknesses and ambitions as a company.

Networking allows you to find out when the company is recruiting immediately, rather than second hand a few days later on PPRuNe, enabling your application to be there before the flood. Networking is joining GAPAN, Air League, RAeS and speaking with people who matter, so that when they pick up a few hundred random applications, your name stands out both for your additional achievements and interests, but your name is recognisible and at the front of the interviewer's mind when making the vital decisions.

Networking may once have been an old school tie network, but I assure you that to a huge extent nowadays - especially with fairer employement law - it is based upon both merit, and how much you have done to put yourself forward.

You make your own luck in this life.

EGBKFLYER
28th Mar 2006, 09:32
Nice post re-heat. Succinctly put and true.:ok: