PDA

View Full Version : lung function test

maybe
27th Mar 2006, 20:21
Hey, I'm about to start my PPL so need to think about getting a class 2 medical. I've read that there is a lung function test where you blow into a tube. I used to be asthmatic so have had this test numerous times over the years! Does anyone know what the minimum reading has to be in order to pass? I think this is the one thing I may fail on, so ideally would like to check first. Thanks :)

welliewanger
28th Mar 2006, 14:35
Don't know about the class 2, but for class 1 I think the requirement is a function of your age, weight and height. There's a peak flow test (I got 925 and passed), a capacity test (I got 7.5 litres, but another guy who was smaller than me got under 5.5 litres and passed). A major thing they look for is constant airflow.

Hope that helps:D

YSSY
29th Mar 2006, 04:05
Not sure what the exact criteria are to pass the class 2 or 1 for that matter but they usually look for well controlled asthma. ie no admissions to hospital, using the ventolin/salbutamol (blue inhaler) infrequently etc....

I have friends with their class 1 who are asthmatic and had no problems passing - sounds like you have a very mild form and should be fine.

If you want to work out your PEFR then for males:

http://www.ncemi.org/cgi-ncemi/edcalc.pl?TheCommand=Load&NewFile=predicted_peak_expiratory_flow-males&BlankTop=1 (http://www.ncemi.org/cgi-ncemi/edcalc.pl?TheCommand=Load&NewFile=predicted_peak_expiratory_flow-males&BlankTop=1)

and females

http://www.ncemi.org/cgi-ncemi/edcalc.pl?TheCommand=Load&NewFile=predicted_peak_expiratory_flow-females&BlankTop=1 (http://www.ncemi.org/cgi-ncemi/edcalc.pl?TheCommand=Load&NewFile=predicted_peak_expiratory_flow-females&BlankTop=1)

Your PEFR shouldn't be too far off the predicted on the day of your test.

Good luck

got caught
29th Mar 2006, 11:57
Ask your practice nurse/gp for your vitalograph readings.

Most are computerised, and give you a little ticket, which compares the essential readings to that of and "average" for your height/age/sex.

It doesn't sound as if you have much to worry about.

DB6
29th Mar 2006, 12:20
Don't know about class 2 but I had my class 1 last week and peak flow is no longer required.

Halfbaked_Boy
29th Mar 2006, 12:38
DB9, I'm not sure what your circumstances were, but I had my Class 1 Medical on Monday and a peak flow test was required of myself and all the others there on that day, so I am not sure what is going on there.

Cheers, Jack.

DB6
29th Mar 2006, 13:48
Something to do with aligning various states medical requirements. My AME seems pretty clued in on the latest developments so might be worth checking with CAA Medical HQ. That said, mine was a renewal - may still be required at initial.

Bahn-Jeaux
29th Mar 2006, 14:51
Had class 2 three weeks ago with no peak flow tests or anything similar.

GusHoneybun
29th Mar 2006, 16:40
methinks that there is some confusion about whether the medical is an initial or renewal.

a lung function is required for a class one initial, but is not required for every renewal

DB6
3rd Apr 2006, 20:11
ANY renewal, Gus. On my medical certificate there is now a dash in the peak flow 'next due date' box.

GusHoneybun
3rd Apr 2006, 23:52
DB6

The peak flow is tested at initial, then again aged 30, 35, 40 then every four years for a class one.
For a class two, it is tested at initial medical, then every four years after and including age 40.

DB6
4th Apr 2006, 17:42
Mmm, I know all that, Gus. What I am saying is that my AME says there has been a recent change (within the last month or so - it may not have filtered out to everyone yet) that means it is no longer required at class 1 renewal. I didn't ask about the initial so don't know about that. Could be wrong of course but that's what I was told.

GusHoneybun
4th Apr 2006, 21:49
Good point, well made.

I will wait with baited breath for my next medical :rolleyes:

HomerJay
6th Apr 2006, 20:09
I did my class 2 medical a couple years ago and they did do a peak flow test. I also have mild asthma so was a bit worried. When I did the first test the doctor wasnt too impressed so just told me to blow harder the next time and obviouly did a bit better passed me without too much hassle.

femaleWannabe
19th Apr 2006, 16:31
I'm going for a class 1 soon (really need to get my finger out and book the damn thing). I had asthma when I was a lot younger and haven't taken anything for it for about 8 or 9 years....I bought a peak flow meter and apparently I should be getting about 430 for my age/height but I can only manage 350!! Is this going to be a problem?! Also, if you have even a distant history of asthma, do you need to take a GPs report? I changed doctors ages ago so the current guy has no idea about my history, only whats in the notes....

femaleWannabe
1st May 2006, 12:25
Since my last post I've writtin to the CAA medical team to ask if I need a report from my GP - I don't want to turn up at Gatwick and be told I should have got one! Anyone have any idea how long it takes for them to reply? I got an email reply within a couple of days telling me to write to them instead, but I'm thinking their letter response won't be quite that fast :rolleyes:

Eddie_Crane
1st May 2006, 12:47
Ring them.
You'll be lucky to get an e-mail response in their "advertised" two-week reply time (if at all).
[that was for e-mail, sorry]

Give them a call before you send anything in writing, they'll answer all your queries, very helpful bunch.
[edit to add: it'll take them a day to reply to you in writing to acknowledge receipt of whatever docs you send them. But if there is a decision to be made on a specific case.. it can be a while. I waited two months to have the final decision on my case (not to do with this thread's subject though). I take it you're in no hurry though..]

femaleWannabe
2nd May 2006, 11:36
hey thanks for the reply,

I've already written to them but phoned them this morning to see if I could get anywhere. They said if I'd written then just to wait on a response - no time frame given... I'm not in any major rush - only had 4 PPL lessons so don't need a medical just yet. Anyhow, I'm guessing that if I go to the medical and they decide they need more info, it won't be a fail straight away, they'll do everything else and tell me to send a GPs report or something?

With regard to the lung function thing - I read on the caa site somewhere that as long as you can blow within 80% of the recommended level for your age, then it's fine. I'm well within this, but I'm not sure if the 80% only applies to asthmatics - and I don't know if I'm technically still asthmatic or not!! :rolleyes: