PDA

View Full Version : Tough Choice... or is it?

Oxeagle
27th Mar 2006, 17:01
Hi Guys,
I've got a bit of a dilemma to sort out and i'm in need of some of your expert guidance. The situation is that I have decided to go to Riverside Flight Center in September or October of this year to do the Ab Initio course there, gaining my frozen ATPL. I am going to take out a professional studies loan to cover the cost of this course. This in itself is not an issue, it's what I do in the mean time that is the problem.

You see, I am currently doing my PPL (about 6 hours in but on ex 12/13 already!) at Enstone Flying Club, and originally had the intention of finishing my PPL there before going to the US. I love it at Enstone; the people are friendly and welcoming, they have a nice modern fleet of aircraft, my instructor is very good and is willing to spare me his time to help me with anything, and the manager places the emphasis on the quality and level of training rather than on making as much profit as possible. Being a student/ IT technician I dont have much money to spend, and as such it all goes on flying at the club. However, now that I have definitely decided that I am going to Riverside I have hit a dilemma; Do I continue on at the flying club and spend out £5k more to get my PPL, or do I stop flying now and save my money until I start the course at Riverside and use the extra money for ME hour building? :uhoh:

I know the second option is more financially sensible, but I feel like i'm part of a family at my flying club, almost like i'm obliged to complete my PPL there, which I know isn't the case but still that's just the type of person I am - too loyal lol :}

So, what should I do? Has anyone else been in the same situation as me? Any advice would me much appreciated! :ok:

ramshorn
27th Mar 2006, 17:18
Hi
I agree with all you have said about Enstone flying club as have done some flying there myself and have spoken to XXX a few times recently and he is always very helpful.
Do riverside do modular training, and if so how much do they charge for the PPL?
Why don't you approach riverside and say that if you already have your PPL can you not negotiate a package where they start your course with the hour building for CPL/IR and so you don't have to pay for another PPL??
I can't see why this should be a problem.
:ok:

Oxeagle
27th Mar 2006, 17:27
Hey Ramshorn,
The ab initio course at Riverside is modular, but full time if you get my drift! The course covers from 0hrs to Frozen ATPL. It works out that the PPL there costs only £2k as opposed to the £5k or so that I would have to spend to complete my PPL at Enstone :uhoh: Thats the problem you see, i'm not sure whether I should start saving my money now for some extra hour building at Riverside or push on and get my PPL done at Enstone, but end up spending a fair bit more than I would in the US!

dashman20
27th Mar 2006, 19:31
This brings back sentimental memories!
I used to fly at Enstone in the 80's/90's.
Enstone has always been a good value for money type of place.Money aside,if nothing else then at least complete your PPL in this country.
Things don't always go according to plan-if it doesn't work out in the US/school goes tits up at least you can still fly back here.
On top of that,no doubt in the future you will be flying in the UK-poss
towards the gain of an IR or other rating.Either way you will see English
weather,here English ATC and dare I say it,be taught to fly the English
way,both practically and theoretically!
I've probably hit a nerve or two here,tough it isn't all roses over the pond!

ramshorn
28th Mar 2006, 14:37
Hi!
Do you want to end up coming and working out of UK airspace?
If so there is a lot to be said for getting the practice in here at your early stage of training, and to have a good fundamental knowledge of how things work in UK airspace.Your call though as £3000 is a fair saving, and i have heard good things about Riverside and there knowledge of JAR training?:confused:

D'vay
29th Mar 2006, 15:48
I'd personally save the money for M.E. time. The loyalty you have to Enstone is fantastic but you must realsise that there are many other ways to support your club than by getting your licences there. Turn up on bad weather days and clean the windscreens, keep telling people of your positive experience for the increased trade from word of mouth. I fly in the uk on my FAA PPL whilst doing the ATPL. When I'm back from the states my I/R will be completed only weeks after I'm back so I can't see the point in spending money when you know you'll be getting a better deal elsewhere.
Keep supporting your clubs you guys
D'vay

Oxeagle
30th Mar 2006, 18:14
Cheers for all the great advice guys :ok:
I spoke to my instructor today and we agreed that Riverside is the best option for me, so i'm going to start saving as of now and head out to Tulsa later this year.