PDA

View Full Version : confused or what!!

rocketboots
27th Mar 2006, 11:44
:uhoh:
Just bagged the 14 ATPL exams.

Intention is to go to the states.Build upto a 150 hours or more. I intend doing this by doing an FAA IR. My understanding is that with an FAA IR this will give me some hours exemptions for the JAA IR multi engine course(ASSUMING I HAVE OBTAINED A JAA MEP) Question here is, with me doing the FAA IR in a single does the single have to be a complex single or not. I am intending to conduct the CPL course(JAA) in a complex single but obviously don`t want to pay out double lolly if i don`t have to.

If anybodys been down this route or has a better idea ,jee i would appreciate it. I thought Lasors would be a good idea but this is grey to say the least

fullrich
27th Mar 2006, 13:10
Doesnt matter to the FAA or the JAA what kind of single you do the SE FAA IR in. Most would do it in say a C172. However, seen as you require a mullti IR eventually then why not do the FAA IR and add the twin class rating aswell To do this which would take around 12 hours in a twin. Then you will need to convert the multi IR (about 15 hours ...5 multi and 10 single) in europe. Most students would also do the FAA CPL aswell and then convert the lot, but you need 250 hours in the US to sit the CPL checkride and this may be not suitable to some.Using the FAA IR to build hours is a good idea but You will need 50 hours xcountry PIC in you logbook before the IR checkride and the definition of xcountry in th US is 50nm or more from departure airport, so you need to start hour building xcountry PIC.

Hope this helps

rocketboots
27th Mar 2006, 15:21
Thanks for that Fullrich.
Got over 50 hours x country p1 already from a previous hour building session in the states beforehand. So what we are saying is do the FAA IR say in a PA28 and then just latch on the MEP at the end.The IR in the PA28 then would give me the reduced hours for the JAA IR course back here in the UK and the getting to grips of flying the twin here in the uk would of already been gleaned in the US.;)

ramshorn
27th Mar 2006, 17:47
Hi
I did an FAA SE/IR a few years back on a PA28 and then recently did an MEP in the UK.
I am presently training for JAA ME/IR which if converting from FAA SE/IR is a 20 hour conversion course as opposed to 15 hours if i had a FAA ME/IR.
The conversion course to JAA ME/IR must all be done in a twin of which at least 7 of the 20 hours must be done on the aircraft and 13 of those hours can be done on an FNPT2 sim(about £150 per hour as opposed to £350 for PA 34).If you have a FAA ME/IR then 5 of the 15 hour conversion must be done in the aircraft(twin).
The conversion course is based on minimum hours to get to a level of proficiency to be able to pass the JAA multi IR skills test.Very few people pass with minimum hours and the average people convert in is about 30-35 hours, but if you are current in IFR and get a sufficient amount of practice in USA then it is likely you will get through with less than this.
I had very little IFR procedure practice over the last few years and i hope to do about 30 hours training before my test.
From what my instructors have told me it is NDB intercepting and tracking that most people converting from FAA to JAA have problems with due to the lack of NDB stations in the US, and much more emphasis put on VOR work as they are everywhere in the US!
So get some practice while your there doing NDB approaches and obviously check to see that the school where you train teaches you how to do NDB procedures though i'm not sure that it will be included in the FAA checride as i never had to do it in mine.
Good luck
;)