PDA

View Full Version : Which JAA Manuals?

s2h
27th Mar 2006, 08:52
Im deciding between Bristol Ground School Manuals and Jeppeson Manuals, the latter being considerably cheaper, I'm paying in South African Rands so I'm seriously considering Jeppeson Manuals.
Any reccomendations? This will all be distance based learning, I believe with my current experience I don't need to attend any ground schooling, just lots of studying and exam writing! Any help?

Luc Lion
27th Mar 2006, 10:32
This will all be distance based learning, I believe with my current experience I don't need to attend any ground schooling, just lots of studying and exam writing! Any help?
I don't know what licence you're after, but for CPL and ATPL, the theoritical knowledge must be obtained through an FTO.
Here is a link to JAR-FCL1 (http://www.jaa.nl/publications/jars/563247.pdf)
and here are the extracts that concern CPL(a) and ATPL(A) theoritical knowledge.

JAR–FCL 1.160 Theoretical knowledge
(See Appendix 1 to JAR–FCL 1.160 & 1.165(a)(1) through (4))
(a) Course. An applicant for a CPL(A) shall have received theoretical knowledge instruction on an approved course at an approved flying training organisation (FTO) .
The course should be combined with a flying training course as set out in JAR–FCL 1.165.

JAR–FCL 1.285 Theoretical knowledge
(See AMC FCL 1.285)
(a) Course. An applicant for an ATPL(A) shall
have received theoretical knowledge instruction on
an approved course at an approved flying training
organisation (FTO)
[ ]. An applicant who has not
received the theoretical knowledge instruction
during an integrated course of training shall take the
course set out in Appendix 1 to JAR–FCL 1.285.

Luc

Alex Whittingham
27th Mar 2006, 20:18
You are exempt approved training if you hold an ICAO ATPL and have more than 1500hrs on aircraft certified (by the JAA) for two pilot operations. If you fall into that category buy cheap manuals, preferably second hand. Study without support, practice exam questions with online databases such as www.aviationexam.com, www.aerosolution.be, or our own www.atponline.gs.

Good luck!

princeton
27th Mar 2006, 23:17
Wow Alex, thanks for the info :ok: - I have been wondering about this very point for a while: how to get a JAR ATPL for a Irish expat flying with the Regionals in the US.

I am about to get my ATP under FAA (and ICAO) but still have a good bit to go to log 1500 hours flying part 25 (I assume JAR 25 aircraft is the same as FAA Part 25 i.e. Transport category jet cert. for 2 pilots e.g. EMB-145). Now you say "1500hrs on aircraft certified (by the JAA)" - I assume my situation counts for this time.

So I guess my question is then the same as s2h: "This will all be distance based learning, I believe with my current experience I don't need to attend any ground schooling, just lots of studying and exam writing! Any help?"

Does anyone have any advice on how to go about all this? I assume I can start prepping on the Theoretical stuff right away i.e. before getting the 1500 hrs in Transport Cat.

s2h
28th Mar 2006, 04:55
Thanks very much Alex, much appreciated, I have over 3000hrs, 1500 of them on the ATR 42, so its down to cheap books and lots of hard work then! cheers!

Alex Whittingham
28th Mar 2006, 20:07
S2h, sounds OK as long as you have an ATP as well. Princeton, its not 1500hrs on Part 25 aircraft its 1500 hours on aircraft certified for 2 pilot operations. Those aren't quite the same thing but the Barbie jet will certainly count for either. How far do you have to go to get to the hours requirement above?

ALV2500
28th Mar 2006, 21:10
Isn't the exemption for time on an aircraft of at least 30 tonnes?

I have over 6000 total with 5000 in a CRJ of only 25t.

AL

Alex Whittingham
28th Mar 2006, 21:26
Its a different exemption. If you have an ICAO ATPL with more than 1500hrs on 2 pilot aircraft you have to do all the exams but you're exempt any requirement for approved training. If you have >3000hrs on aircraft of more than 30T including 1500PIC you can get away with just doing two ground exams and need no approved training. In both cases you can do a single 'ATPL skills test' on the type you are rated on if you have more than 500hrs on type. You can also take the skills test on type if you have less time on type but you start to get into requirements to attend part or all of a type rating course before the test.

ALV2500
28th Mar 2006, 22:37
Thanks,

I'll be doing mine in a Seminole or similar as it's much cheaper than a CRJ sim.

AL