PDA

View Full Version : VRD security controlled airport

compressor stall
27th Mar 2006, 01:36
Just noticed on the DOTARS website that VRD is to (has?) become a security controlled airport.

What does this mean in practice? Is there a big fence around the strip, coded gate, feds checking for ASICs?

:confused:

rmcdonal
27th Mar 2006, 02:28
So is Hooker creek. Go figure.
It's because the C208 goes in and out 3 times a week.

aero979
27th Mar 2006, 03:24
Yep, include Kalkarung on that list also. Was there when they were training the wand user in Hooker Creek. The fence is about 2 feet high, the gate has a latch, but no lock... and if you look far enough you can see where the fence ends, and the wide vastness of the NT starts... a perfect place to access a secured aerodrome!

Willie Nelson
27th Mar 2006, 03:39
Plenty of three legged mangey camp dogs to keep out from Pigeon hole, could be tough work.

rmcdonal
27th Mar 2006, 03:54
How far into VRD does the secure area actualy reach? You could land and taxi out off the strip and into the station, then you wouldn't need an ASIC :E
The only thing the fence at Hooker-Creek stops is the rubbish from floating onto the run-a-way :} .

Howard Hughes
27th Mar 2006, 03:54
When is all this madness and knee jerk reactionism going to stop?
DOTARS is a joke!!
All of the changes made since they assumed the role of 'security watchdog' have'nt made a damn bit of difference. Other than costing fare paying passengers a fortune.
But I suspect they sit in their offices all day patting each other on the back and recounting all the terrorist attacks they have stopped.....:yuk:

compressor stall
27th Mar 2006, 04:51
The answers above answer my thoughts - not much has been done - nor should it! What a farce! So do all the Helimuster R22 drivers have ASICs?

Does anyone remember the notam at Hooker Creek - "Caution, numerous plastic bags transiting aerodrome"?

Ultralights
27th Mar 2006, 05:22
got to watch those tumbleweeds! jump in your plane, hold a set of nailclippers to your throat, and you know what happens then! dotars have a justification.

Tagneah
28th Mar 2006, 10:08
"Caution, numerous plastic bags transiting aerodrome"?

I remember that. I heard a story that that notam came into effect after a RFDS Kingie Sucked one (or a few) up.

I also heard a story about how Lajamanu (aka Hooker Creek) came into being. Something to do with relocating bretheren from a mission down near Alice up to Fitzroy Crossing when some transport broke down. Couldnt get it started so it was just easier to set up there.

Might just be a bush story though.

On the topic of the thread, my first paying gig was in a 210 from DRW to Hooker Creek about 8 years ago. I thought then that security needed to be improved, glad to hear that they're on the right track! :}

Tag

maxgrad
29th Mar 2006, 00:48
Tagneah,
Close but no banana. Twas an NTAMS Kingair. Kinda reminds me of the V8s when some cars collected placki bags and the temps went into orbit.

For the hugely uneducated out there. The security gaurds at Hooker are using frozen roo tails as a deterant to those who are eeeevil.:E
When the deed is done they just cook it up.

watacrokapoo!

compressor stall
29th Mar 2006, 02:47
Can you still buy frozen roo tails in the store at Hooker Creek?

Turbulent Eddy
29th Mar 2006, 04:00
Yes they probably do Stallie, but I imagine the postage costs associated with getting them to you might be a bit steep! :D

As for the ASIC at VRD: you, me and a lot of others on here could really picture that one.:ugh:

multime
1st Apr 2006, 23:51
THE BIGGEST SINGLE THREAT TO IS ROO,S!!!!
In the dry their crawling all over the strip. Surely they should have ASIC cards ??. Or just perhaps a little common sense -re some inside info that VRD,S application for roo proof fencing was turned down.
Another really cronic one for roo,s is BULLA west of Timber Creek.
Anyone care to comment?.
cheers
M

rmcdonal
2nd Apr 2006, 04:01
In the dry their crawling all over the strip. Now you see that’s what happens when you keep the grass green. :}
Seem to recall a Med flight that *nudged* a roo on the T/O roll one night, dam suicidal terrorist roos. :eek:

ascj
1st May 2006, 05:58
How far into VRD does the secure area actualy reach? You could land and taxi out off the strip and into the station, then you wouldn't need an ASIC :E
The only thing the fence at Hooker-Creek stops is the rubbish from floating onto the run-a-way :} .

Good point although maybe they will look at it the other way around and force all staff and visitors to VRD to get an asic. :p