PDA

View Full Version : Moving to PNG with Family

onya
26th Mar 2006, 11:49
Guys,
One of my colleagues is seriously considering moving to Moresby as his missus is a local and is terribly homesick. They haven't lived there in some 9 years and with 2 little girls, are wondering what the risks be. As well as your learned evaluations, any advice on parts of town to live (money not an issue) would be greatly appreciated. He's not going to be working in country.
Thanks
:ok:

chimbu warrior
26th Mar 2006, 19:14
Onya it seems strange that anyone would contemplate relocating to Moresby uness it was for work, regardless of family connections. After 9 years away, I suspect the greatest risk would be extreme dissapointment at how bad things have become. Living in POM is a nightmare nowadays, and no place for 2 little girls either (irrespective of ethnicity).

If it was me I'd seriously consider moving to somewhere like Cairns and letting my wife pay periodic visits to POM, particularly as you suggest money is not an issue (he is obviously not in aviation).

As an aside, a good friend of mine is married to a Papuan lady, and their 20-something son now has a CPL and is looking to move out of instructing into charter and multi-engine flying. He became aware of an opportunity in PNG (but not in POM), however his mother begged him not to go to PNG. After carefully considering her reasons he stayed in Australia. Smart move.

sling load
26th Mar 2006, 23:00
Onya,
if your mate is not going to be working, its a hell of a place to live. May i suggest that your mate and his family go for a short visit first to see what its really like..............i got out of there in one piece
SL

WangFunk
26th Mar 2006, 23:08
I would never raise a family in PNG. I:eek: t would be a good cultural experience....lets say a holiday for two weeks, but thats it mate!!

Oh yes...I did make it outta there too in one piece. But I still have an old one piece PNG flame burning inside of me!!!!!!!!

OzExpat
28th Mar 2006, 06:10
I reckon that chimbu warrior has the right idea. Much better (and safer) for a move to Cairns and let the missus commute back and forth to her heart's content. PNG is definitely not the place to live without having a job on an expat contract, moreso with 2 little ones who will not be safe here.