PDA

View Full Version : Multi engine instrument rating in the UK

dxbpilot
26th Mar 2006, 09:49
Hi , I have a Australian CPL, I am going to do the JAA ATPLs with OAT later in the year. I want to have a JAA fATPL with ME/IR. I can do the Aus CPL to JAA CPL in Western Australia for a reasonable price but they don't do the JAA instrument rating. What is the average price for a ME/IR in the UK as they cost around $11,000AUS here(4600 pounds)? I have seen prices as much as 12,000 pounds is this the norm in the UK ?

any info would be great cheers

LOOP2STAND1
26th Mar 2006, 10:04
Check ur PM's

bfato
26th Mar 2006, 10:53
Do you have a Australian IR? Converting an ICAO IR to JAA would be about £5k less than starting from scratch.

dxbpilot
28th Mar 2006, 00:39
Thanks guys ,

I have a AUS CPL with no IR or ME.

do you think it would be better to get the AUS ME IR in Australia and then when i go to the UK to do my ATPL exams do a conversion course ? do you think it would be overall cheaper? or is the IR very different in the EU, and i should just do the JAA ME IR there?

bfato
28th Mar 2006, 08:03
It would be unlikely to save you any money. But..

By doing the IR in Aus, your minimum training would go from 50 hours to 15. A typical ME-IR course for a JAA CPL holder would typically be 35 hours FNPT II sim, 15 hours aircraft. Cost £10-11k plus extras. The equivalent conversion course for an overseas IR-A holder would be 10 hours FNPT II, 5 hours aircraft. Both are minimums. Some people say a more realistic conversion estimate would be 15 hours aircraft. Cost £5k plus extras. So if you can do a CASA Command IR for £5k, then you would be effectively be trading our 35 hours sim for that training.

It is hard to generalise as to whether this is a good idea. The way I see it, if you do all your training in the UK it will all be geared to passing the UK test and you will be well prepared. If you gain the IR abroad and convert here, for the same money, you will end up with more, and more varied, actual flight experience. Which is better for you depends to a large extent on what you want to do with the qualification.

Take my advice with a pinch of salt, I haven't flown a UK IR test yet as I've gone for option b. I hope others that have will come along and post their opinions and test descriptions here.